Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Megane,

Options
  • 24-01-2008 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi,

I am thinking about buying a megane saloon, anybody have good or bad thinhs to say about them? at the moment the only bad thing I hear is some models tend to open the windows randomly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

can-of-worms.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Get the on a ship and steer a wide berth around it:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

kenny11 wrote: »
    at the moment the only bad thing I hear is some models tend to open the windows randomly.

You're not from around these parts, are you? :D

Are you looking at the old one or the new one? I'd avoid either to be honest, but I'd definitely avoid the old one at this stage.

Some info here:

New model:
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=656&

Old model:
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=848&

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

We switched from a Golf to a Megane Sport Tourer 1.5DCI, well ahead of the Golf in performance, economy, ride and comfort. We've had a few warranty issues but all solved without quibble by Sandyford Renault (very good service). You'll hear a lot of Renault bashing here, but I think its a cracking car and great value. The do depreciate so not wise if you're only holding onto it for a year or two, but if you keep your cars then its well worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I wouldn't buy any Renault tbh, you'll live to regret it, I did and I still do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭john1963

150 euro+ to change front headlight bulb, has to done in garage as front bumper has to come off, dont do it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

john1963 wrote: »
    150 euro+ to change front headlight bulb, has to done in garage as front bumper has to come off, dont do it!!!

Thats crazy. It costs €10 in liffey valley renault for it to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

john1963 wrote: »

You have to take off the front wheel
    Theres a panel at the front of the wheel arch that has to be removed - to give access to change the bulbs.

You can do it in your front garden, or If you have €150 going spare.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

You don't even have to take off the wheel, turn it to full lock and you can access it. I bought the buld from GSF for about €5 and replaced it myself. A bit tricky, but not the end of the world.

BTW, I own an 04 megane. I have have no major worries. The electric window acted up a bit, but was repaired F.O.C. even though the car was out of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

kenny11 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am thinking about buying a megane saloon, anybody have good or bad thinhs to say about them? at the moment the only bad thing I hear is some models tend to open the windows randomly.

In my sisters Megane Coupe the windows won't open at all - not sure if this is better or worse than ones that spontaneously and mysteriously open of their own accord.......

P.S. Your act of selfless bravery is starting to attract a crowd. Best of luck; you may need it......http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54951882&posted=1#post54951882 - from post No. 8 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Beware of the electrical coils in the petrols. I have heard of them giving a lot of trouble from 00 and 01 onward. My mechanic was spitting fire reciently when telling me about them. New or second hand coils don't seem to matter with them....
    They keep failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Coil packs and window regulators are the main things to watch out for.
    I think they are a very underatted car. The 1.5 dci engine is a great unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kenny11

Thanks for all the replies, this will be a first car, looking at 00 or 01 reg. I know 4 people who each rave about the car so it seems to be a case of personal opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you must get a Megane, make sure it's an RXI or Dynamique model, plenty of choice out there, so you might as well get a good spec for little or no extra money.
    As mentioned before, check coils are ok, and engine idles and runs smoothly, and check anything electrical. They're not as bad as newer Meganes, which in itself doesn't say much.

Advertisement