Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are shops allowed to refuse €100 bills?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

A shop can refuse to sell anything to any customer at any time without reason.

How does this gel with discrimination laws? Surely it would allow a lot of abuse. Hmm, might be going off track here but it still intrigues me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Only a real banknote is legal tender. With all the high quality forgeries in circulation a retailer would be reluctent to accept high value notes.

Many forgeries are very hard to detect on the shopfloor and would only be discovered by the bank after they are lodged. Therefore due to the fact that the retailer cannot be sure that the note is real it should be refused. THis really only applies to notes over €50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A shop can refuse to sell anything to any customer at any time without reason.

So why did we see so many cases of travellers sueing pubs when they were refused service?
    Do you know more than a District Court Judge as there were lots of cases where awards were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I thought it was that you had to take the note if, let's say, you bought e100 of petrol, but they were under no obligation to give change from it (ie refuse transaction because they didn't want to give change)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I've accepted €500 notes before, rare enough obviously, but you'd get about one €100 note a day maybe. (Dunnes btw). The float is €153 and you've feck all notes so if you get one at the start of the day you still have to take it, and get it changed into smaller notes for change. You get wreck-heads though, who calmly present a €500 note for a €29 transaction, which wouldn't be a problem at the end of a day...but not when you've just opened the till. Why do bureau de changes give out such high notes? It's weird.

Newsagents in general won't accept notes like that, and small shops, but you'd be fine with clothes shops/department stores etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Mena wrote: »
    Well to be frank, this could very well simply be the supermarket playing on the customers lack of knowledge in the area. Simply because the "supermarket" says so does not make it legal.

Yeah and just because a customer says it doesn't mean it's the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

micmclo wrote: »
    So why did we see so many cases of travellers sueing pubs when they were refused service?
    Do you know more than a District Court Judge as there were lots of cases where awards were made.

Haven't heard of cases of travellers suing pubs, but they have objected to license renewals and have brought claims against them via the Equality Authority. Either way that's after they've demonstrated they've been discriminated against (for being a traveller) which is illegal, but a whole different area of law. Shopkeepers, and publicans alike, can still refuse to serve anyone for whatever reason, as long as the reason is legal.

Pythia wrote: »
    I thought it was that you had to take the note if, let's say, you bought e100 of petrol, but they were under no obligation to give change from it (ie refuse transaction because they didn't want to give change)

One of the more sensical posts on the thread, and is certainly my understanding of legal tender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Mena wrote: »
    How does this gel with discrimination laws? Surely it would allow a lot of abuse. Hmm, might be going off track here but it still intrigues me.
    micmclo wrote: »

Sorry I should have said for any legal reason. Not serving someone because they are traveller is illegal, however it has to be proven that this was the reason they were not served.

Also I think pubs come under different regulations as they dont apply for a traders permit(I think that is correct), they apply for a publican licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 King of Faces

Barlow07 wrote: »
    Like you say its Legal tender so by law they should not be allowed to refuse it.
    Wrong. They have the right to refuse any notes they want. Legal Tender must only be accepted as repayment for a DEBT - other than that nobody 'has' to accept anyone's money!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I'm amazed that people haven't realised this yet, it's been mentioned with examples numerous times in the thread:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 King of Faces

Sean_K wrote: »
    I'm amazed that people haven't realised this yet, it's been mentioned with examples numerous times in the thread:rolleyes:
    I know - and wasn't/isn't Business Studies/Commerce compulsory in school up to Junior Cert? All this is covered!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Bah I remember when I was 16, wanted to buy a nice big widescreen for my room. Went into Currys to pay for it with a €500 note from the bank (nice but bricking it). Cheeky spotty little fecker behind the til (like myself tbh heh) gave a quick smirk "We don't accept those" as if to say "yeah, like i'm falling for that" .... so across the road to another bank and changed it for 1 x €50 notes and walked back with a grin in my face :D Was very embarassing at the time though. I suppose I can see the cashiers point of view there, eventhough bank changed it no probs (just swiped it with a marker). One and only time I was in posession of a 500 note

Had to come back later that evening with my oul man, I wasn't even old enough to drive :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If the petrol is already in your car then yes the will probably except it.

The reason for shops displaying signs like this is that many cashiers are instructed to not actually have more that €100 in their till at any one time.

This means that they probably wont have change for €100 which is why you see these signs in small shops as you are normally making small purchases. In bigger/higher end shops its not a problem as their normal customer is probably making a larger transaction.

The reason they are instructed to not have more than €100 in their till is because that is all they are insured for. If the shop gets robbed they can only claim €100 back from the insurers from each till that was robbed.

Rubbish.

Mairt wrote: »
    Rubbish.

Maybe not. It's not unusual for insurance policies to enforce certain conditions (like CCTV, for e.g.) and to grade the conditions on secured, un-secured and in-transit cash sums (i.e. some policies dictate you need 2 employees to travel with large lodgements to the bank). €100 unsecured does sound low, but the theory is sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I know - and wasn't/isn't Business Studies/Commerce compulsory in school up to Junior Cert? All this is covered!

Started 1st year in 98 and it wasn't compulsory then! Having said that, I know about this anyway, and it's written in this thread a few times so people also have a problem with English/reading, and that is compulsory.

If I have anything over 100 I either use it in a large shop or just get it changed in the bank or credit union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Rubbish.

Not at all. Any shop I worked in during college, you had to keep your till under a certain amount as that was all that was covered by insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Rubbish.

Afriad not mate. Each till is only insured for a certain amount. Normally €100, espeically in these smaller shops. All other cash must be kept in a more secure location, i.e a safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Afriad not mate. Each till is only insured for a certain amount. Normally €100, espeically in these smaller shops. All other cash must be kept in a more secure location, i.e a safe.
    +1.

again, 100 seems low, but the theory is sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mckenna45

A lot of people seem to be missing the point here. This is not anything apart from another step towards a "cashless society". You might want to google that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

mckenna45 wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to be missing the point here. This is not anything apart from another step towards a "cashless society". You might want to google that.

Perhaps you might do us the honour of explaining why the legaloo refusual of €100 notes has anything to do with a cashless society? Bear in mind that the right to refuse any note has been in existence since the foundation of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Rubbish.

Guys Mairt is right it is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

So a shop could never do floats, have 1000s of euro in a till for weeks and the insurance company is obliged to cover it all? Seems a bit odd if they could.

Anyway, the amount of waffle presented in this thread as fact is funny. People always come out with some amount of crap when talking about the law

Sangre wrote: »
    So a shop could never do floats, have 1000s of euro in a till for weeks and the insurance company is obliged to cover it all? Seems a bit odd if they could.

Anyway, the amount of waffle presented in this thread as fact is funny. People always come out with some amount of crap when talking about the law

Nope we didnt say for weeks per day!!!Why would you leave 1000s in a till for weeks!?!?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Sangre wrote: »

Funny in interweb message boards format not so funny when you have a customer screaming it at you on a sunday afternoon. When I worked retail had a guy come up with a pile of newspapers and books - worked out at just under 60 euros and he handed over a 500 euro note. I told him I couldn't take it and all hell broke lose. Every person waiting in the queue had an opinion [just read this thread out loud and it was like that] Manager had to be called down, more abuse yelled, throwing of things at poor till girl [ie me] and stormed off to prove shops would take it by going to Boots next door. I assume they didn't take it either as he didn't come back to tell us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

^ I was handed a €500 note before for a €29 transaction. I'd just opened the till (ie. no 20's or 50's yet). We do accept them though, had to get a manager to change it for 50's. Pain in the ass though, and I think it's slightly dodgy- the note isn't accepted in some countries at all.

Have you some better knowledge of commercial retail insurance across a number of providers to be in a position to dispute the other posts above? There are an awful lot of small business that would prefer not to have to pay for safes, shutters, CCTV, cash transit companies, etc., given the choice.

To answer your first question yes i do and reply to the other half,I never said that they dont have to have pay for safes or other security items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Opp's, I forgot about this thread.

I asked my wife's family (they're shop owner's) re. the issue of cash in 'tills and insurance.

Basically you can have whatever you want in your till, be it fifty or a grand. But if its robbed, no matter the amount, the insurance company probably won't cover you for the entire amount.

Re. €100- notes, the shop is not obliged to take them off you, thats the banks job.

Oh, re. floats they told me that most smaller shops would have a daily float of at least €250- (bigger shops more of course) per 'till.

I asked about about the poster (Alanmurphy83) suggestion that it will €100- and they laughed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Oh, re. floats they told me that most smaller shops would have a daily float of at least 250- (bigger shops more of course) per 'till.
    in the last place i worked in the till wouldn't let you leave any more than 50 in it when cashing up

Advertisement