Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pato - the new Ronaldo?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Pato? Sounds like he is from Coolock ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I thought he was Brazilian...learn summat new and all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

He is Brazilian, I'm refering to the other Ronaldo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Raekwon wrote: »
    wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

who's gonna be the next pato?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

:rolleyes:He is Brazilian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Didn't he sing 'Baby Come Back'?

Trilla wrote: »
    He is Brazilian, I'm refering to the other Ronaldo...

Oh right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I think you'll find he's referring to Ronaldo. As in the actual Ronaldo, not the never-will-be-Ronaldo to whom I take it you refer.

Trilla wrote: »
    Is this wonderkid going to out do his fellow countryman? Or is it all hype

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x41m8y_milan-channel-pato-first-gol-milann_sport

It's not all hype, but most of it is still potential. He'll need to eat a lot of pies :D

• Advertisement

Jeez, people need to relax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Missed a load of chances last night and was taken of for ronaldo
    Watched the Napoli game he looked promising
    but its far to early for the amount of pressure being hyped on him he still has braces and spots FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

He has a hell of a lot to do in the game before even having a chance of getting close to what Ronaldo has done. When Ronaldo was his age he was destroying teams single handedly and was a much better and stronger player for a start. He does look slick though. He doesn't have the power or speed of Ronaldo. We'll see how is goal scoring record goes
    As for the uninformed pie comment - http://uk.reuters.com/article/UK_WORLDFOOTBALL/idUKL2440341820070824
    Eitehr way it never effected his goal scoring ability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

The people that call Ronaldo fat obviously havent watched him play at all in the last year. His weight is down, there was a picture of him standing beside Pato and Kaka from behind, and he was as slim, if not slimmer than Kaka, yet no one ridicules Kaka cos the sun shines out of his arse despite how rediculously over rated he is.

Archimedes wrote: »
    The people that call Ronaldo fat obviously havent watched him play at all in the last year. His weight is down, there was a picture of him standing beside Pato and Kaka from behind, and he was as slim, if not slimmer than Kaka, yet no one ridicules Kaka cos the sun shines out of his arse despite how rediculously over rated he is.

Ah here. Says the man who refers to Anderson as 'God'. He isn't fit to clean Kaka's boots.

It's great the way everyone on boards can easily make each other look like hypocrites

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ah here. Says the man who refers to Anderson as 'God'. He isn't fit to clean Kaka's boots.

Obviously I know Kaka is better than Anderson. I refer to Anderson as 'God' because I love the way he plays and I love what he has brought to our team - but I apologize for admiring one of my team's players. What on earth was I thinking without first consulting you, the man with a grudge against all things United.

Kaka is ridiculously over rated - his performances in Serie A for the past 2 years are testament to that.

Obviously I know Kaka is better than Anderson. I refer to Anderson as 'God' because I love the way he plays and I love what he has brought to our team - but I apologize for admiring one of my team's players. What on earth was I thinking without first consulting you, the man with a grudge against all things United.

Ah now I happen to think United do a very good match day programme. And I have a soft spot for Scholes. But anyway why shouldn't I hate them? Rivals and all that
    Kaka is ridiculously over rated - his performances in Serie A for the past 2 years are testament to that.

He's still won a Champions League and that is more important than the league for some people.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He's still won a Champions League and that is more important than the league for some people.

All well and good upping your performance for a match every 2-3 weeks but when you cant do it week in, week out and are still heralded as the best in the world, then theres something seriously wrong. Of course we all know that this is UEFA and FIFA.

so em..... Pato?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Raekwon wrote: »

He is good mates with Deco from Barcelona :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Needs to get away from Milan fast, old ,mid table in serie a and putting too much pressure on a kid to save them.

Big ronaldo had time to adjust playing in winning teams that didnt rely/beg for him to score.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

evad_lhorg wrote:
    He is good mates with Deco from Barcelona

lol :p

(keep your wig on DesF ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Needs to get away from Milan fast, old ,mid table in serie a and putting too much pressure on a kid to save them.

yeah, get away from those champions of europe. run pato run...

i think you deserve the ":rolleyes:" for that one

el rabitos wrote: »
    yeah, get away from those champions of europe. run pato run...

i think you deserve the ":rolleyes:" for that one

10th, 1 win at home in the league all season, hoping an kid untried gets them into UEFA cup spots.........oh how the mighty have fallen? But if they win it this season that 10th spot will be magical gets them back into the CL, dont you know.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

10th, 1 win at home in the league all season, hoping an kid untried gets them into UEFA cup spots.........oh how the mighty have fallen? But if they win it this season that 10th spot will be magical gets them back into the CL, dont you know.

kdjac

milan are having a bad season domestically, it happens. they're still in the champions league and tbh, nobody would be suprised in the least to see them win the thing. i'd hardly be advising the kid to leave

using age as a derogitary term against milan is a bit odd aswell. as good as arsenal are with working with and developing younger players, milan are every bit as good at getting the most out of older, more experianced players, the milan lab is legendary for that.

with all the experiance in that team i cant think of anywhere better for the player right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

exacly, who better to learn from then Ronaldo

kdjac

I think it's called a transition period. Players like Pato and Gourcuff and Gilardino and Kaka will be the new generation at Milan so the older ones can be phased out.

another good point, milan will be back, of this i have no doubt, they are having a horrible domestic season but so did barca a few seasons ago, didnt they finish 13th or somethin??? then won la liga the next season!!

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I think it's called a transition period. Players like Pato and Gourcuff and Gilardino and Kaka will be the new generation at Milan so the older ones can be phased out.

At any other club thats normal but there a certain few where it just not allowed, fans expect too much.

Rijkaar be there in the summer and look at the job he has, an aging back four an aging midfield Kaka pato the kid Gourcuff the kid and Gilardino the insane italian :p

If Frank was there now Pato would be playing a few minutes here and there just like Bojan and Giovanni and Messi before them, every week its Pato this Pato that....

Not the enviroment for a kid with great expectations to be thrown into.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I think he will turn out in the same vain as Kaka....in the sense that they plucked him from Brazil as a young player with a top rep... and turn him into one of the top players in Europe. I think him & Kaka in a few years will be somethin' special

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

We had a bit of a Pato love in here a week or 2 ago if you do a search. It was his debut for Milan. He definitely impressed but still looks a bit raw.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    We had a bit of a Pato love in here a week or 2 ago if you do a search. It was his debut for Milan. He definitely impressed but still looks a bit raw.

That was me ;)

It actually wont be long until a player comes along labelled as 'the new Pato'. Just the other day I saw a story linking United with some Brazilian lad dubbed 'the new Robinho'....the same Robinho who only turned 23 a few days ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Kaka is ridiculously over rated
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Player_of_the_Year

Must be a fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Savman wrote: »

In Serie A, he's nothing more than an average player

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »

You'd be surprised how many people agree with you.

Well damnit if Kaka is "average" and he's the 2007 FIFA World Player Of The Year, what does that makes the rest? Below average?

Right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Very below average :)

Kaka is amazing, but I would question his consistency. You might say that Ronaldo only scores against crap teams, but that is no small skill, and will win you a league. While maybe the CL is bigger, the league is still very important. I think however that Kaka's problem is that he is a central midfielder, and thus always stuck with either doing something magical on his own, or else the rest of the team working well.
    While the way Ronaldo works as a winger means that he gets into a lot of positions to score goals and get assists, positions that Kaka could never get into as a central midfielder.
    If Kaka was at a different team like United or Real, you'd see a much more consistant player I think throughout the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

PHB wrote: »
    Very below average :)

You might say that Ronaldo only scores against crap teams, but that is no small skill, and will win you a league

I think whoever says that might want to check if Arsenal, Roma, Everton are "crap" teams. Although I would take the point that he doesn't play aswell against the bigger teams generally. Although he has given Ashley Cole a number of roasting for United & Portugal in recent seasons.

If Kaka is an average player in the world, and he's the World Player Of The Year, by that logic no player in the world is "good".

PHB, Kaka players in the hole behind the striker as an attacking midfielder.. he's not strictly a central midfielder, so i think he can get into those positions, because he has a license to roam usually. I think the fact that Milan play no wide players restricts the room for Kaka to work. I do agree with ya tho, I think he'd be better in England. The game is quicker, and more spread out. He'd have more space to work in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I've been biting my tongue on this and didn't want to get involved in an argument so early in the morning.

Pato, potentially a class act. He has a great touch, great technique and all around great ability. Pace isn't quite there but according to the lab he has about 3 years or physical development left in him so his pace will be a lot better in 2 years time. That said its all pure potential at the moment. Any player can come out, have one blinding year where the opposition doesn't know what to do with them, until they learn. The following season the disappear as people start to figure them out.

Jeffers is a typical result of that statement. The good players adapt to this and over come it. Thats what Pato is going to need to do. He will get figured out but he will have to grow the mental side of his game to get past that.

As for the Kaka/Milan debate. Some people cannot see past today. Ancelotti said in the summer he was building for the future and this season would be painful. The backline is old and being rebuilt. The midfield is gradually being revamped (seedorf, ambrosini 31+ etc...) and the attack needs a refresh. Gilla not good enough and Inzaghi is 34. Kaka is the star of the show and mostly its just him and Pirlo in the show so he has a lot of weight on his shoulders. He ain't superman. The CL is a break in an otherwise closly scrutinised domestic season from him and he has dominated teams the past couple of seasons.

To say he is ridiculously over hyped is just plain silly. These are usually the type of people who don't appreciate genuine technique. Maradonna went past people will little effort only touching the ball slightly, kaka has that ability. Sometimes I think people need to see someone doing 20 stepovers to beat one man in order for them to qualify as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Pato is definitely a chap to keep an eye on as he is very young and is a talent. Will he be playing against Ireland I wonder?

im not going to go blow my load over pato at the mo, in fairness this thread is horribly titled, ronaldo was 10 times the player pato is when he was his age, he was destroying teams single handedly back then, i havent seen enough of the guy yet to make a conclusion personal judgement on him, but i dont see any pace and i dont see where the hype is coming from

redspider wrote: »
    Pato is definitely a chap to keep an eye on as he is very young and is a talent. Will he be playing against Ireland I wonder?
    I doubt he'll start but he'll surely come on at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »

PHB, Kaka players in the hole behind the striker as an attacking midfielder.. he's not strictly a central midfielder, so i think he can get into those positions, because he has a license to roam usually. I think the fact that Milan play no wide players restricts the room for Kaka to work. I do agree with ya tho, I think he'd be better in England. The game is quicker, and more spread out. He'd have more space to work in

Just saw this now? I don't think a number 10 has ever worked well in England and England don't even produce any (with Le Tiss maybe being an exception). The closest thing now is Joe Cole and he's forced to play on the wing. Couldn't see Kaka working in England as well as the CL. Also, English fans love players who give their all no matter what the situation or team, certainly not Kaka

Players are played behind the strikers a lot in England but they're mostly required to track back. Kaka isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Speaking of Kaka, I went to post something in the Celtic thread (renamed the SPL thread) but I couldnt find it anywhere! The soccer forum stopped threads after 7 pages or something, or did I miss it? Do you know where it is eirebhoy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

Pato is the new Shevo for sure. sheva got his first goal for kiev at 18 and so on and so forth. but pato had a brighter start(bigger team + experience players to guide him)

kryogen wrote: »
    in fairness this thread is horribly titled

eh in fairness...it was a question, after various people in and out of the media are making comparisons to both Ronaldo and Kaka.

In fairness D12 Kimmage

Pato is the new Shevo for sure.
    Now I'm convinced we're talking about Pato from Coolock. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

i meant sheva sorry

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jan29e.html

Sheva: Pato is the new me
    Tuesday 29 January, 2008

Former Milan striking ace Andriy Shevchenko claims that Rossoneri starlet Alexandre Pato is his heir at San Siro.

Since arriving from Brazilian side Internacional in January, the 18-year-old Pato has won plaudits all over the peninsula with his impressive performances and fired a match-winning double against Genoa last weekend.

The last time the Milan faithful embraced a new arrival with such fervour was Shevchenko, who also made a fast start to his career when he scored his first Champions League goal for Dynamo Kiev at the age of 18.

“Pato does resemble me because he likes to play from deep,” Sheva told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“He isn’t a first striker and he is similar to me in the way he plays as he reads the play and attacks the spaces. I like how Pato always moves forward rather than laterally.

“I was exactly like him in that I was dangerous but I missed lots of chances. I improved over the years, but Pato is lucky to have arrived at Milan so early.

“It’s not too soon to come to Milan as he has teammates who will help him to grow. These are players with a different view of the game to others, men like Andrea Pirlo, Kaka and Clarence Seedorf and playing alongside those kind of stars is a guarantee for a striker. Pato will write his story just like I made mine.

“It doesn’t matter how many goals he scores as long as he is growing. Pato is perfect for Milan’s style of play and they need a player like him – it is the perfect marriage.”

Although it seems increasingly unlikely that Shevchenko will ever return to San Siro, he still has great affection for his former side.

“I am happy with the time I spent at Milan, as they were seven fantastic years and it was my best period of my career,” he reflected.

“Even the difficult seasons were good and that will stay with me. I love Milan and I love Italy as it gave me so much.”

• Advertisement
Advertisement