Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real and Barca have no class

• 24-01-2008 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭

Now that that sensationalist headline is out of the way, here's what I'm talking about.

Wednesday:

Real's sporting director Pedja Mijatovic said Ronaldo's case was "impossible" and Fabregas' "almost impossible".

"Of course it wouldn't be bad to have a player like Cristiano Ronaldo but he's at a big club, Manchester United. I see it as an impossible transfer," Mijatovic told the Marca radio station.

"It's the same" for Spanish international Fabregas, he added.

"We're not the only team who would love to have a player like Cesc but he belongs to a great club, Arsenal, and it's almost impossible to recruit him."

Thursday:

Real Madrid are reportedly preparing a six-year contract for Ronaldo that is worth £40m after tax.

Now I'm not saying this is true but time after time Real and Barca show zero respect for every other club by publically attempting to unsettle players through their newspapers.

They clearly have no respect for the other teams in La Liga and it carries to other leagues.

As an Arsenal fan, I'd love to see Ronaldo leave but that's aside from all this.

I mean is this not blatent tapping up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It works for them.

It's not as if football is a hotbed of morally sound people anyway, is it?

Meh, so what.

If players want to move they'll move regardless.

Do you think English clubs don't tap up players? The difference is that Real and Barca don't pretend not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

All clubs are like that.

How did Campbell agree to sign for Spurs? Utd with almost everyone ever!! RVN may know more about that. Chelsea with Obi...

Barca have to sell to buy and Real want to buy ronaldo before barca do.

Real even got ronnies ma to hold a pic of ronnie photoshopped into a Real jersey.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

agreed.

every club does it...maybe the bigger the club the more publicity it gets?

id love to see edit:c ronaldo playing for madrid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

you're all more or less correct.I guess the thing about the two from spain is that they have their own papers to do it through.

Should the tapping up rule just be discarded then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

prendy wrote: »
    agreed.

every club does it...maybe the bigger the club the more publicity it gets?

id love to see ronaldo playing for madrid...

He did
    for about 5 years

• Advertisement

He did
    for about 5 years

Not Ronaldo Luis Nazário de Lima - Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Real even got ronnies ma to hold a pic of ronnie photoshopped into a Real jersey.

was reading her yesterday saying how she would love him tp play for Real and how it would be the happiest day of her life and she could die happy etc etc.

Actually have a feeling he may move that way sooner than people think.

As for the thread title, all clubs do it. some are worse than others though, Utd,Real,Barca being the three worst offenders imo

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Utd,Real,Barca being the three worst offenders imo
    Evidence for this opinion?

Or are you just throwing out random names?

Would you not think clubs with more "dodgy" managers would be more guilty of it, no?

Your hatred of all things Manchester United is comical imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

DesF wrote: »

Says him and he hates Sundireland...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

gosplan wrote: »
    Now that that sensationalist headline is out of the way, here's what I'm talking about.

Wednesday:

Real's sporting director Pedja Mijatovic said Ronaldo's case was "impossible" and Fabregas' "almost impossible".

"Of course it wouldn't be bad to have a player like Cristiano Ronaldo but he's at a big club, Manchester United. I see it as an impossible transfer," Mijatovic told the Marca radio station.

"It's the same" for Spanish international Fabregas, he added.

"We're not the only team who would love to have a player like Cesc but he belongs to a great club, Arsenal, and it's almost impossible to recruit him."

Thursday:

Real Madrid are reportedly preparing a six-year contract for Ronaldo that is worth £40m after tax.

Now I'm not saying this is true but time after time Real and Barca show zero respect for every other club by publically attempting to unsettle players through their newspapers.

They clearly have no respect for the other teams in La Liga and it carries to other leagues.

As an Arsenal fan, I'd love to see Ronaldo leave but that's aside from all this.

I mean is this not blatent tapping up?

Note which one of your articles contain actual quotes.

• Advertisement

Evidence for this opinion?

Or are you just throwing out random names?

Would you not think clubs with more "dodgy" managers would be more guilty of it, no?

Well the OP has already pointed out that Barca and Real are constantly unsettling players with the way they deal with the media. Also the very way in which they elect presidents for their clubs, if i'm not mistaken, is that the running canditates make "promises" of players they plan on delivering to the club during their tenure.

As for Utd, i cant think of another club that has tapped up more players, and been pretty much caught doing so, in recent time. An earlier poster also stated something along the lines of, "Utd, tapped up pretty much everyone", why the need to pull me up on it? because i support Liverpool and not the EL, like the other poster who criticised them for it? Or do you just like our daily banter?

Your need to claim that every opinion i have is through scouse-tinted glasses is comical imo betty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Rumours suggesting Mascherano might be leaving Liverpool:
    No big deal.

Lets leave the paper talk to the papers.

Rumours that Ronaldos ma wants him to move to Madrid:
    was reading her yesterday saying how she would love him tp play for Real and how it would be the happiest day of her life and she could die happy etc etc.

Actually have a feeling he may move that way sooner than people think.

Pighead, what the **** does that have to do with anything? hideously off topic.

And for the benefit of you: It wasn't "rumours" that Ronaldos mam wants him to move to Real, it was Ronaldos mam actually saying that she does want him to move to Real.

wats your point?

because i support Liverpool and not the EL, like the other poster who criticised them for it? Or do you just like our daily banter?
    Meh, it's not because you support Liverpool. One English club is pretty much the same as any English club to me.

Apart from Sunderland, as pointed out, I reserve a certain level of hatred for them :D
    Your need to claim that every opinion i have is through scouse-tinted glasses is comical imo betty.
    They are though.

Just like all of my opinions contain a little twist of eL related bitterness.
    Pighead wrote: »
    Rumours suggesting Mascherano might be leaving Liverpool:

Rumours that Ronaldos ma wants him to move to Madrid:

In fairness to Alan, Pighead, Ronaldo's mama was pictured with a photoshopped picture of her baby in Real Madrid
    pyjamas.

edit: See Al, I don't hate you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead, what the **** does that have to do with anything? hideously off topic.

And for the benefit of you: It wasn't "rumours" that Ronaldos mam wants him to move to Real, it was Ronaldos mam actually saying that she does want him to move to Real.

wats your point?
    Do you want a fight?

Pighead wrote: »
    Do you want a fight?

:D lol :D

oh my word.

Alan that a joke of a thing to say. Chelsea are far worse than United and they, like Barca and Madrid dont hide it either, they just pay the fines.

Whats the biggest tapping up case in English football??? Ashley Cole.

Whats the biggest tapping up case in English football??? Ashley Cole.
    He's the biggest something else in English football as well.

He's the biggest something else in English football as well.

That may be one of the few things that everyone on boards agrees on but thats all for another day.

Cant believe he actually said that, shows that prejeduce has no bounds.

• Advertisement

Hold on a sec Neil, Chelsea are agree have been bad the last few years and the Ashley Cole thing is the best example, but they have a long way to go before they catch up Utd in the tapping up stakes, Fergusons did have a 15 odd year head start! ;)

I'll reply to your PM later! :)

Hold on a sec Neil, Chelsea are agree have been bad the last few years and the Ashley Cole thing is the best example, but they have a long way to go before they catch up Utd in the tapping up stakes, Fergusons did have a 15 odd year head start! ;)

I'll reply to your PM later! :)
    In all fairness tho, we have to differentiate between hearsay (Vieira which was rumoured tapping up but never proved) and fact.

Chelsea have been in far more trouble for it than United ever have.

Remember the other cases (the 2 teens at Leeds for example) that dont get the same attention as the Cole case but they are further example of the Chelsea transfer policy and nothing on the scale of the Bellion case.

RVN wasnt top the best of my knowledge tapped up. United had the fee in place then he did his cruciate. Fergie flew in and wished him well and told him that he would be back in for him the next summer if RVN rehabilitated well. No tap up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Didnt united send Mexes a jersey with his name and number on it?

Call_me_al wrote: »
    Didnt united send Mexes a jersey with his name and number on it?

They did, he had been there on trial, whats your point?

Tapping up is negotiating a contract with a player without having agreed a fee with his club. What does sending a jersey have to do with anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If we're going on facts (a rare thing on this forum), then Liverpool and Chelsea were both proven to have tapped up (Ziege and Cole). Manu haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

They did, he had been there on trial, whats your point?

em that they sent him a jersey. when was he on trial? strange the tubes says nothing about it. afair it was when both Roma and United were in for him while he was at auxerre. just strange in that i had never heard of it before.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    em that they sent him a jersey. when was he on trial? strange the tubes says nothing about it. afair it was when both Roma and United were in for him while he was at auxerre. just strange in that i had never heard of it before.

They presented him with a jersey after the trial. Im sure that happens all the time, again, is it illegal for clubs to do that?? Ill have to google the archive, I read the interview with Mexes on the old planetfootball (before Sky took over) where he said that he had a nice trial with United and that they sent him a jersey and told him that they wanted him after he gained a few more years experience with Auxerre whereas Roma wanted him immediately. he joined Roma cos of that and cos he thought he wouldnt get his game, good riddance with that attitude. I still dont see the relevence of a jersey, even if it is gentle persuasion, to tapping up a player and offering him a contract.

see i knew nothing about the trial. the way i read it at the time was united wanted him so they sent him a jersey - it was put as if it was a tapping up thing. obviously not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Tbh, I find Arsenal's* youth policy a lot more worrying than players being tapped up or unsettled. Poaching some of the best talent around Europe before they can sign a professional contract with their home clubs, so as to get around the 90 minute rule. Cesc Fabregas is the one that instantly springs to mind. It's not illegal but it's certainly far from ethical.

*I know a lot of other clubs do this but Arsenal seem to be the worst culprits imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

An Citeog wrote: »
    Tbh, I find Arsenal's* youth policy a lot more worrying than players being tapped up or unsettled. Poaching some of the best talent around Europe before they can sign a professional contract with their home clubs, so as to get around the 90 minute rule. Cesc Fabregas is the one that instantly springs to mind. It's not illegal but it's certainly far from ethical.

*I know a lot of other clubs do this but Arsenal seem to be the worst culprits imho.

Agreed 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

thought this article was gonna be on something that eamonn dunphy wrote :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

As for Utd, i cant think of another club that has tapped up more players, and been pretty much caught doing so, in recent time.
    ... but they have a long way to go before they catch up Utd in the tapping up stakes, Fergusons did have a 15 odd year head start! ;)

not that i care much for united, but show us where united were caught tapping up.

and i mean actually caught, where it was proven that they tapped players up.

Cos im pretty sure that if they were caught, they would have gotten into a lot of trouble for it and for the life of me i cant remember it

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i agree with an citeog in lots of ways, arsenal raid alot of talent from around the world, especially the poorer areas of the world and take players from their clubs without paying anything really alot of the time, i think its unfair to the clubs who have nurtured the talent that arsenal want.... they are some of the poorest regions in world football and they get their best prospects taken from them without much if any renumeration

this is wrong imo

• Advertisement

Why?

Any number of reasons. Maybe if the smaller teams could hold onto their young starlets and develop them, we wouldn't have the same gulf in class as there is between the top 3/4 in the big leagues and the rest. Maybe homegrown talent would be just that and clubs could develop their own youngsters without fear of one of the big clubs coming in and snatching them away.

Then there's the whole issue of wasted talent. For every Fabregas, you've got a pile of other youngsters who never really got the chance. I firmly believe that the 90 minute rule has ruined English football and that's what's wrong with their national team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

astrofool wrote: »
    If we're going on facts (a rare thing on this forum), then Liverpool and Chelsea were both proven to have tapped up (Ziege and Cole). Manu haven't.

you and ur god damn "facts". havent u learned yet?? speculation is a good enough basis to form an opinion and if someone questions that opinion they are clearly wrong and aren't as high a level in football as the 1st party.
    i worked out that im only level 5 in football :(
    DesF is a level 10!!

kryogen wrote: »
    i agree with an citeog in lots of ways, arsenal raid alot of talent from around the world, especially the poorer areas of the world and take players from their clubs without paying anything really alot of the time, i think its unfair to the clubs who have nurtured the talent that arsenal want.... they are some of the poorest regions in world football and they get their best prospects taken from them without much if any renumeration

this is wrong imo
    What exactly do you mean by 'poorest regions in world football'? The vast majority of the young players signed by Arsenal are signed from clubs within the EU...

ok does poorest clubs make you feel better? dont bother pointing out that fabregas came from barca, i know..... but in general, they stole clichy basically, and a lot of others that i cant be bothered going into detail here, but check it out yourself if your interested, im too tired tbh

to be fair to arsenal i bet the club they take the kids from took them from somewhere else. Its the same here with crumlin utd and other junior clubs they scout the DDSL for players sign them with only intention of selling them on to england.

Its a vicious circle but it starts a lot lower than the big clubs.

Another one for Liverpool is a player they took from an EL sides DDSL team at just the right time so they didnt have to pay any compo.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

And, as a United fan, i'd love to see Fabregas leave to Barca (Not Real "We think we are unreal and Kaka can't make our team" Madrid), so how about Ronaldo stays, Fab stays, and we call it even :p

On a more serious note, It would be a disaster if either player left. They are always pouching English clubs top players (Real, especially), and United or Arsenal never seem to buy theirs (unless they are practically free, like Fab & Pique). I personally hope that United get Real in the champions league. Knock some of the cockyness out of them. I don't think Barca are as bad though. Real are a joke. They win La Liga last year by some freak of nature, and their president turns around and says "We've the best team in the world". They were owned by Mallorca in the Copa Del Rey... arrogance gets you no where. I hope Barca turn La Liga around, but Real back in their place.

Real wanted Robben, they want Ronaldo, they want Kaka, they want Fabregas, and they think that all they have to do is say they are interested and the players will come running. I see Madrid as being weaker than United, Arsenal, Chelsea, AC Milan, Inter and probably on a par with Liverpool. Personally, if i were a player, I'd rather play with Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Henry, Messi, Giovani, Bojan, than Real. The King of Spain has wrote off like 300 million of their debt, its a joke.

ok does poorest clubs make you feel better?
    That makes sense, unlike what you posted previously, hence me asking for clarification.
    dont bother pointing out that fabregas came from barca, i know..... but in general, they stole clichy basically, and a lot of others that i cant be bothered going into detail here, but check it out yourself if your interested, im too tired tbh
    Basically, apart from the money agreed that Cannes agreed to sell him for.

Arsenal have certainly signed the odd youngster who hasn't been under contract but by and large they sign them the usual way, by paying for them.

Madrid and Barca are masters at using the press to do their dirty work for them, and they use their money and influence to help them progress... just like everyone else. Doesn't bother me.

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    . The King of Spain has wrote off like 300 million of their debt, its a joke.

yep, this is the reason i hate madrid, all the government help they get, the government bought the stadium from real and allow them to play there for free because they are like a national treasure!! i hate the business side of the club.. they dont have to worry about dects they just write them off or the government bails them out, i think its extremely wrong for this to happen

good riddance with that attitude.

Ha ha, brilliant.

Yeah though. What a total bollocks, wanting to play for Rome and all when in a few years he might have been able to go to Man U.

Some people, eh?

Or is is Arsenal just pick the players that people complain about later, i.e. the good ones.

[/B]

yep, this is the reason i hate madrid, all the government help they get, the government bought the stadium from real and allow them to play there for free because they are like a national treasure!! i hate the business side of the club.. they dont have to worry about dects they just write them off or the government bails them out, i think its extremely wrong for this to happen

This has been going on since the time of Franco and is a major reason for the animosity between Barça and Real fans. One of Real's greatest ever players, Alfredo Di Stefano, was literally stolen from Barça before he even got a chance to play for them. Hatred, jealousy, bitterness, call it what you like but it doesn't half make for an entertaining derby!:D

As regards Real being smug, I think the current team are very far from that. I think under Schuster, Real haven't been the same flair team of previous years, although Robinho has been on fire. In Casillas, they have the best keeper in the world and he has single-handedly propelled Real to the top of the league. I'm sure Johnny Giles would appreciate their honesty of effort this season though!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

astrofool wrote: »

What about Tevez. Was he not a West Ham player when he took a medical fo Man Utd?

Or is is Arsenal just pick the players that people complain about later, i.e. the good ones.

Good ones? Watching Owusu Wusu Obeyie(sp?) tonight does he count or do your forget about the ones that were let go? Larrson Pennant etc:

kdjac

nipplenuts wrote: »
    What about Tevez. Was he not a West Ham player when he took a medical fo Man Utd?

Considering they were fined it seems he was never a west ham player :p

kdjac

Don't get me wrong, Wenger and Arsenal seem to have one of/if not the best youth structures in the world in place. Football is a cut-throat business and you have to be willing to do what it takes to succeed. There's nothing illegal about doing what Wenger and Arsenal do, it's the ethics that I question. Young players have their heads turned by the promise of fame and fortune with one of the big clubs, whereas realistically, they'd probably be better off staying put, where they'll be the centre of attention and not just another one of the Arsenal kids. I just think things like "Real and Barça have no class is quite the statement to make when your own club isn't exactly whiter than white. People in glasshouses and all that!;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement