Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can Ronaldo ever be as good as Ronaldo?

• 24-01-2008 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

Of course I'm taking the M here, but referring to the Manchester based player, regardless of what is on his shirt, as Ronaldo while there is still a player of that name in the game is annoying.

However, as C Ronaldo is now regarded, albeit mostly among the British and their followers, as one of the top players today, does the reader think he will ever be as good as Ronaldo, universally acclaimed as one of the best ever to play the game?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

He has the potential. If he maintains the right attitude - or develops the right attitude - he will be a top class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

nipplenuts wrote: »
    However, as C Ronaldo is now regarded, [/b]albeit mostly among the British and their followers,[/b] as one of the top players today, does the reader think he will ever be as good as Ronaldo, universally acclaimed as one of the best ever to play the game?
    Yeah you're right, it's just the British press that rate him. Forget about his 3rd place as the FIFA World Player of the Year 2007. And being voted Portuguese Footballer of the Year 2007 as well as countless other accolades.

Do we really need another "Is Ronaldo any good?" thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah you're right, it's just the British press that rate him.

Read it again - that's not what I said.

Do we really need another "Is Ronaldo any good?" thread?

And that's not what I asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

already is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ronaldo of AC Milan, in my opinion, is the best footballer of all time regardless of his injuries. I dont think any footballer has been blessed with the talent that he has, and I dont think any player has put fear into the hearts of the opposition quite like he has. For Cristiano Ronaldo to be regarded as good as Ronaldo would take a phenomenal effort. He's going the right way about it, but he would have to keep up his current level of performance for another decade, which will be quite hard but not impossible. He does seem to have something special about him that hasnt been seen since his namesake burst on to the scene. He just needs to keep up this level of play. Consistency is the key - people often throw silly comments like 'Ronaldo (of Brazil) lost it' or 'he's past it'. They seem to forget that he has consistently scored goals - and a f*cking ton of them at that - through out his career even after some frankly sickening injuries. His first game back for Milan the other week, he was phenomenal and showed that when you're good, you're bloody good.

So to answer the question - Yes he can but although its a slim chance, its not beyond him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Yeah, Ronaldo back in the day was feared, he was a world-beater...I don't think C Ronaldo has reached that level yet but I think he has definitely shown the potential to get to that level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

ronaldo goalscoring record is amazing and he is one of the greatest ever.C Ronaldo despite my previous misgivings and support of the pool could be up there with him.He has all the talent to be as good as.

308 appearances-209 goals.Not bad for a fat and past it striker who has a bad record with injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Ronaldo was and still is a class act...in the big games he stood up and was counted and always was a threat even when just back from serious injury.

christiano has a long way to go particularly on the world stage but i think if he keeps going the way he is he'll come close. its important to remember he's still very young and ther'll be plenty more to come from him.

^that is some goalscoring record!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

not really sure is it a fair comparison.

ronaldo is an all out goal scorer who was/is excellent at what he does. he has all the attributes a striker needs and goalscoring record is second to none.

c ronaldo is an excellent talent who is demon winger (mostly) and sets up loads of goals with his jinking runs. in fairness he does get a lot of goals, but its not his primary task.

c ronaldo has the ability to get better obviously, but im not sure how you would quantify if he is better than ronaldo unless he helps portugal win a world cup.

Read it again - that's not what I said.

And that's not what I asked
    Eh yes you did, on both counts.

• Advertisement

Eh yes you did, on both counts.

So you'll be able to quote it then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Unfair comparison really...

You can't compare a winger to a goal scorer, it can't work like that.

If C Ronaldo moves to a centre forward position and plays there for a few seasons and beats Ronaldos records then who can argue that? But at the moment, i kind of think it's uncomparable...

Then again if C Ronaldo wins 5 world player of the year awards in a row...then maybe it is argueable...i dunno though

I see what you're saying cheesedude, maybe what I should have asked was "will he ever be as well regarded as Ronaldo?" Regardless of position - as being among the best ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,695 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I see what you're saying cheesedude, maybe what I should have asked was "will he ever be as well regarded as Ronaldo?" Regardless of position - as being among the best ever.

How can anyone answer that without being able to see into the future, You could say if Ronaldo keeps his current form for the next 10 years will he be as well Regarded as Brazil Ronaldo. The answer is obviously Yes.

To be regarded brilliant, you have to be consistently brilliant. Brazil Ronaldo has been far from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Forget about his 3rd place as the FIFA World Player of the Year 2007.

Means nothing really, beyond the fact that he's very very good.

Those awards go to whoever wins the trophies.

Whoever won the champions league between Kaka, Ronaldo and Messi was going to get it last year.

There are two things Ronaldo needs to do to be remembered in the same vein as tubby Ronaldo.

1: Keep playing the way he's playing for another 7 or 8 years.

2: Win some major major silverware. CL / European Cup / World Cup.

I don't think two necessarily relates to quality as the teamm is involved but if you want to sbe able to say 'Ronaldo - 3 times winnner of FIFA blahblahblah' ... then that's what's required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

IS C Ronaldo more important to Manchester United then Ronaldo would be now? - YES

IS C Ronaldo more important to Manchester United then Ronaldo would be at his best? - YES

But is C Ronaldo better than Ronaldo was at his age? - NO

Hence is this a fair comparison? - NOT REALLY

Can C Ronaldo overtake Ronaldo at his highest peak? MAYBE

Can C Ronaldo have a better career than Ronaldo? - YES

Would both players suit other teams better then the other? - YES

So is this kinda pointless argument? - YES

Is custard truelly yummy? - DAMN STRAIGHT IT IS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

gosplan wrote: »
    There are two things Ronaldo needs to do to be remembered in the same vein as tubby Ronaldo.

1: Keep playing the way he's playing for another 7 or 8 years.

2: Win some major major silverware. CL / European Cup / World Cup.

I agree but he can't just win the silverware. If Portugal were to win the Euros this year it'd have to be on the back of C Ronaldos ability for him to start matching Ronaldo. Same goes for Uniteds success. I think we can safely say that last season was very much C Ronaldos and theres a good chance this could be too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I personally don't think Christiano will ever be as good as Ronaldo but thats hardly a criticism. Ronaldo was one of the best players to play the game. Christiano is one of the greatest players playing today. He could continue to improve but I just dont see him outdoing Ronaldo.

Then again, I never expected him to get to be as good as he is now..so I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What the **** compels you people to start these sort of comparisons? They are pointless and only end up with childish bickering. It would semi reasonable if they were similar type players but they are completely different.

What the **** compels you people to start these sort of comparisons? They are pointless and only end up with childish bickering. It would semi reasonable if they were similar type players but they are completely different.

You are completely correct! What I am pointing out for the masses is the difference, which, as you observe, is complete. My mission, to have the name Ronaldo mean Ronaldo, let the other be called Wilson :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So can Ronaldo ever be as good as Baresi then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

dubious topic in fairness, one is a striker the other is a winger, why compare? its not possible to do it fairly, you could compare C ronaldo to george best, ryan giggs and others who were/are actual wingers but whats the pont of comparing two guys who play in different positions?

by the way, does anyone think Pique will ever be as good as Mark Hughes? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

are these two being compare PURELY because they share the same name. they don't even play the same position!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Why not just use John O'Shea as a category of reference? Problem solved!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

back on topic, and answering the question at hand...

C Ronaldo is without doubt Utd's most influential player and has been since Keane left.

I remember starting a thread about ronaldo being the best young player in the world a couple of years ago and got bashed for it, with people calling ronaldo stepovers and no final delivery.

Those same people are now jumping off the ronaldo hatemobile as they realise he is in fact the real deal.

The fact he's gained people's respect like that, banged in the goals for club and country, entertained us all and taken abuse everywhere he goes is testament to the man's strength of character and determination to succeed.

For a club like Chelsea or Liverpool, the fat ronaldo would be perfect. For a club like Arsenal or Utd, C Ronaldo would be favoured time and time again, purely because he fits in to the passing game more and can run from and to anywhere with the ball, plus score goals.

No good having a fat ronaldo up front if you can't give him service. C Ronaldo's style is self service and he doesn't rely on others to score goals or feed him. More often than not, he'll get the ball deep in his own half and bomb down the flanks or chop and change until he spots a runner...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Chalk & Cheese. Winger, Striker. (Thin, Fat...one may argue).

Why not compare Cristiano Ronaldo with someone like Figo? (Same position, truly great player, won lots) This would make more sense than comparing him with a player from a different position..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Nope, not now or ever. But they are different players.

I remember a thread about Ronaldihno comparing him to Maradona(Best player ever!!). There was quite a number of posters who thought that Ronaldihno could overtake Maradona as the best player ever.

Now he cant even get into the Barca team!

Come back when C Ronaldo is another 4 years older. Players like that cant keep up that type of form for a years on end. The only players that came close are Zidane and Ronaldo(The real one).

Edit: May i add i saw them both play in the flesh and Ronaldo (real one) almost scored from the half way line when he tried to lob the keeper. He scored a tap in later on. C Ronaldo did **** all! So there ya go. Case case closed! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

First of all Ronaldo(Madrid, Barca, etc) is probably the best player I have seen in my lifetime that wasn't just highlights, although I did see the tailend of Maradona's career but he was past it apparently.

Second of all they are 2 different type of players who play in different positions.

Third of all what a **** topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

jank wrote: »
    May i add i saw them both play in the flesh and Ronaldo (real one) almost scored from the half way line when he tried to lob the keeper. He scored a tap in later on. C Ronaldo did **** all! So there ya go. Case case closed! :D

So your judging each on one performance each?

• Advertisement

smemon wrote: »

For a club like Chelsea or Liverpool, the fat ronaldo would be perfect. For a club like Arsenal or Utd, C Ronaldo would be favoured time and time again, purely because he fits in to the passing game more and can run from and to anywhere with the ball, plus score goals.

He doesn't exactly pass too often. He basically runs very fast and hits the ball very hard.. The number of assists he has certainly indicates that he doesn't pass if or when he is around the goal. Saying that, he is very good at running fast and hitting the ball hard. Also extremely good in the air.

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    So your judging each on one performance each?

As musch as i dislike him, it is obvious he is taking the piss.

gosplan wrote: »
    Means nothing really, beyond the fact that he's very very good.

Those awards go to whoever wins the trophies.
    I only said that in response to the OP's comment about Ronaldo only being held in high esteem by the British.
    gosplan wrote:
    So can Ronaldo ever be as good as Baresi then?
    So can Ronaldo ever be as good as Fish & Chips?

I only said that in response to the OP's comment about Ronaldo only being held in high esteem by the British.

Let me help you out, dear.

mostly

A key word in the OP you seem to have missed. Three times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

s.

No good having a fat ronaldo up front if..
    Yeah he's a real lardass :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I love how people call players like Lampard, Rooney, Ronaldo etc fat when they are quite clearly not and usually said by fat people who eat pies at matches

• Advertisement

Let me help you out, dear.

mostly

A key word in the OP you seem to have missed. Three times.
    It's not me that's having difficulty in understanding, it's you my friend.

You said that it's mostly the British that rate Ronaldo so highly so I stated that he had came 3rd in the Fifa 2007 World Player Award which proves that it's not just the British that rate him so highly. And I think they like him in Portugal too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

gustavo wrote: »

thank god somebody finally found and posted a pic of how the man looks at the moment, it really pisses me off every time i have to listen to people refer to him as the fat ronaldo! give him half a yard and you still wont catch him, a true great of the game, my favorite striker of all time and the best i have ever seen in the flesh, even though he tore my team apart on the day, i still applauded him off the pitch when he was subbed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Chalk & Cheese. Winger, Striker. (Thin, Fat...one may argue).

Why not compare Cristiano Ronaldo with someone like Figo? (Same position, truly great player, won lots) This would make more sense than comparing him with a player from a different position..

thats a much better comparison and also very hard.figo in his prime was a genuis of a player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i was merely referring to him as 'fat' to differentiate between the two. i don't know what ronaldo's (the fat one ;) ) first name is.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what weight he is... hell i don't give a damn if people call rooney shrek or fat if he bangs in the goals and plays well.
    He doesn't exactly pass too often.

Exactly.. that's why c ronaldo he's more valuable to a Utd or Arsenal than a Chelsea.. because he plays in midfield, he can get the ball straight from defence and run with it.

The other ronaldo can't pick up a ball in defence and run with it as he's not a midfielder.

The other ronaldo needs a c ronaldo type player to support him, who in turn needs a defensive unit to feed the ball to him.

C ronaldo requires one pass to score a goal and run at people, the other ronaldo requires two as he's a striker and assuming a 4-4-2 formation.

Also, i think c ronaldo is better than ronaldo atm for what it's worth. C ronaldo has gotten better every year at Utd.

He tore apart bolton on his debut and then had a rocky patch after that with the world cup and all... but since that, he's been utd's biggest asset.

Until he lands a treble or wins a world cup or something, he won't be acknowledged fully. A bit like the arsenal sides of the past few years... undoubtably the most attractive football, the dominant force, but won't go down in history until they win something and keep winning.

i
    He tore apart bolton on his debut

When he was "fat"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/2299507.stm

Really, Bolton ffs ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement