Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So glad I found this!

Options
  • 24-01-2008 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey everybody!

I was just messing with google and stumbled across this site the other day. I've been on boards.ie before but only to complain about how packed the luas is or some other silly issue!

I am a 23 year old female who has stammered all through my life. My first memory of developing a stammer ( I actually only remembered this the other week!) was in senior infants. I always had to be first at doing everything when I was younger, I have three sisters and the competition was fierce! I remember when everyone one else used to read Tara and Ben like this ....... TARA... AND.....BEN....LIKE....DUSTY...THEIR...CAT. I, on the other hand was determined to read it like tara and ben like their cat at 60mph! I could never understand why I couldn't read it like this and I think this was my stammer in the early stages of development.

Recently I have only started to talk about with my friends and work colleagues. And it actually makes me feel a lot better because I know a lot of people have no idea how it occurs or what causes it and I think it helps people to understand. especially in work. I have signed up for a course with the DAS and am waiting to hear back from them about when the next course is. I was unable to attend the course in September as I had a holiday booked.

I have days in work where I am very down with myself like today and reading the messages on this site has made me feel a lot better about myself!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Hi and thanks for your contribution. Its very good that you are talking about your stammer with friends and work colleagues. I did the DAS course in Sept. '06 and haven't looked back since. Its a fanstatic course and helps an awful lot. If you have any questions about it please feel free to reply on the forum or PM me and I'll do my best to answer your question(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Just to echo the OP..

I just found this area of Boards by total accident. I'm 25, married and have a new baby. Only my wife and my parents know the extent of my speech disability. To see or hear me, you wouldn't know anything's wrong at all. I've more or less perfected the whole word replacement technique, at least face to face anyway (although, sometimes as a result my sentences don't quite make sense). On the phone is another matter. And definitely don't ask me my name, or anything else that starts with a hard consonant. I currently work in a job where I don't have to talk to anyone, which is of course handy. However, it's not the job I want to have forever, but as I'm sure is familiar to most reading, it's not that easy for someone like me as it is for most other people. Ironic thing is, people tell me I'm quite a people person, and I quite think so myself, too! I used to work in a call centre. If people asked my name, I'd hang up or else say "Richard", or something else that starts with a soft sound. I don't know how a managed to get away with that, without being fired.

Anyway, enough rambling. I'm certainly happy to have found this section of Boards though. I hope to make it my other home! :)

Advertisement