Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good Buy? CLK 230 - €9650

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

The only serious engineering in that car is the cup holder. Its a cure for insomnia. As for the grey interior. Not my cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

From personal experiance these are a really comfy car to drive and i did like it, a wee bit cramped if your a big fella whoops sorry person. And don't be using it as a family car!
    But the personal experiance's were in a convertible version.

But these cars have a tendency to be cause trouble, more annoying things but like the windows going down automatically. and staying down!
    Some engine troubles like engine light coming on and staying on or the kompressor not working at all! And merc garage saying "eh dunno"
    So standard Merc build quality of this era!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Sorry but most of the above is simply not true. I deal with a lot of dealers and owners on a regular basis and never have I heard of a faulty supercharger, 'nor windows falling down !!

These are reliable cars, without some of the electrical maladies that are associated with later cars. The 230K engine is far from refined but it is powerful enough, and auto'box suits it well. Its not a performance car or sports car but is best for cruising.

The light grey leather is far nicer than any of the other options, luxurious and bright. I have used one of these cars for several years with my two small kids, no problems and it has a large boot. I am 6'1" and fit in the back, not for long journeys though !

Currently I have the newer shape W209 which is slightly larger and more practical though possibly less attractive. Neither car is quite as robust as the W124's that preceded them.

Parts are quite cheap in fact, especially spurious service items.

Just check that everything works, and get someone competant that you trust to look it over !

Good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Advertised miles are very nice , as always there must be history to back it up.

History , history , history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭(CH3)2CHOH

I think it's better looking than the more current models.

Thought about one myself but thats the first low milage one I've seen that I'd think about.

A nieghbour of mine also had loads of problems with his windows but his was the newer version, a 06. Actually it has been in the garage so much it's really put me off the newer stuff, not that I could afford them.

He had the best idea, traded it for a 08 CLS......:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

cabrwab wrote: »
    more annoying things but like the windows going down automatically. and staying down!
    Back this up from personal experience, except window not opening and told the only way to fix it was to get a new door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

"existing owner has emmigrated and need quick sale", sounds like massive hassle involved in veryfying the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think they're a lovely car. Be aware, though, that the 2.3K engine is a right pig. If at all possible, i'd find a 320.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I see it has new alloys. I'd ask why it needed new wheels as the miles are relatively low. Make sure it hasn't been in a crash.

If it's a UK car, get a HPI report. It's easy to bring a UK car with dodgy history over here and sell it as straight. Not many people know about running a HPI check. Been there and got badly stung.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stylish body and elegant interior. I've loved the looks since they were released. Probably a future classic like all its predecessors, something I think the current model will never be.

Looks very good value, but I'd have it thoroughly checked out. Was it imported from the UK?

Let us know how you're getting on!

• Advertisement

mercmad clearly you've have your alligence well set out from the start once again PERSONAL experiance as in a family member had a clk200 with the kompressor and another got the 230 both comvertible and the windows both would randomly go UP then DOWN and stay down or stay up, the 200 Kompressor worked on day1 then never again, and the service both recieved from different dealers was appalling.
    As well as that the roof worked about 5times on the 200 and never again. the 230 leaked and the rubber seals kept coming undone.
    Legel proceedings were started and successful.
    I drove both i did like them really i did but i don't know if one will exist in my family again.
    Plus both were 2000's.
    Im just giving my two cents worth!

......I dont have any allegiance to the marque actually, I just like some of them !
    cabrwab wrote: »
    mercmad clearly you've have your alligence well set out from the start once again PERSONAL experiance as in a family member had a clk200 with the kompressor and another got the 230 both comvertible and the windows both would randomly go UP then DOWN and stay down or stay up, the 200 Kompressor worked on day1 then never again, and the service both recieved from different dealers was appalling.
    As well as that the roof worked about 5times on the 200 and never again. the 230 leaked and the rubber seals kept coming undone.
    Legel proceedings were started and successful.
    I drove both i did like them really i did but i don't know if one will exist in my family again.
    Plus both were 2000's.
    Im just giving my two cents worth!

I would truely believe the stuff about the dealers, but to say that "200 Kompressor worked on day1 then never again " is just not believeable......sorry !

Maybe the cars that your friends bought were dogs AND the dealers made them WORSE. I'd believe that too !!

By the way those wheels are the standard wheels for a MY2000 Avantgarde, available from Septmeber 1999 !

Check the mileage though, they wear miles very well and its not too difficult to clock them !

Well believe it cause it is what happened, something went horribly wrong with the engine in the 200 and yes i do believe the garage made it worse.The garage said it was the kompressor as the engine warning light came on after 100 miles with slight loss of power then again, and again, and ...... do you see where iam going!! But never seemed to do anything about it.

Its a pity but i think with some merc's you will get a batch of a few cars that are horrible.
    I know this happens with there commercial vechiles, were you could buy one today fine then next week rubbish!!

It was really dissappointing cause i actually loved these cars but two together with different engines just being annoying, kinda turned me off merc's to be honest.

But back to the thread, sorry shooter!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

There have been loads of reports about Merc reliability issues over the last few years, TBH I don't know what to make of them.

This particular car looks really nice, but I'd want to know why it had new wheels at such a low mileage. The price seems very low too. It may be a bargain but I'd be inclined to be almost forensic in checking it out before I'd take the plunge. It has all the suggestions of something being dodgy IMHO.

Caveat Emptor...

Advertisement