Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

They're having a laugh??

Options
  • 24-01-2008 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Paid €18k for above average mileage 05 Golf 1.4 Base last January; brought it down to get trade in value against 07 1.4 Comfortline. They want €8k, tried the place where I bought it- the same!! Surely they're having a laugh?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

They'd want to be cracking a great stonking one!
    But no they aint standard garage bull ****, will then sell it onto somebody for about 14000/15000!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say you paid over the odds for your 05 last January.

Also baseline Golfs are harder to shift than higher spec models. People like their toys these days. That and the above average mileage means the dealer is probably expecting to be stuck with your 05 for sometime. He is probably allowing some room to drop the initial asking price on the 05 to shift it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tew

:( Was trying to offload a Megane at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

18k for a 2 year old car???:confused:

18k was the purchase price, I was allowed ten for the junker and added €8k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try and sell the 05 Golf privately. They are still popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

8K cost to change from a 2005 to 2007 would be pretty much the norm with most cars of that ilk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

yeikes!!!! €8K in a year?? :eek:

and they say Alfas depreciate fast :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

I have no interest in golfs but as a matter of interest what would you expect to get for one like yours? By the way an Alfa is a sporting brand with heritage. Please don't compare them with golfs.

I had been hoping to be allowed about 16k on it as a trade-in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Tew wrote: »
    I had been hoping to be allowed about 16k on it as a trade-in

16k aint goin to happen, especially this time of the year, I'd say if you got 15k for your own it would be a good deal. Selling it private for €14kish would be your best bet and you will get a cash discount off the 18k one.

Thanks for the advice

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

siralfalot wrote: »
    yeikes!!!! €8K in a year?? :eek:

and they say Alfas depreciate fast :p

8k in two years mate.

i think its an ok deal, an 05 car and 8k for a brand new 07 car.
    what is the purchase price of the 07 car?, that way we can get a real figure for your trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

You bought a 2005 car in 2007 for 18K.

It loses say 4k in depreciation in one year, not 8 as some people seem to think. The first 3 years of a cars life takes the biggest hit in depreciation, then it is much less in financial terms from there onwards.

A 2007 model bought in 2008 (now) we will say is 22K

Net effect is you lose 4 grand in depreciation on your present car giving it a value of 14K and you have to make up the difference for the newer car - so 8 grand is the cost to change to a car 2 years younger (averaging 4 grand per year).

It is unrealistic to expect a car to only drop 2k in a year. Yes if you did not put any more mileage on it, but add a years driving to the mileage of the vehicle and thats another 2k in depreciation.

Moral of the story, buy a 2 or 3 year old car and keep it for another 3 years at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

why exactly would you buy 1 year old cars and then keep them for so little time. your not even getting reg snobbery , are you just mad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

kceire wrote: »
    8k in two years mate.

what is the purchase price of the 07 car?, that way we can get a real figure for your trade in.
    Wake up my friend, it's 2008 now!;)

kceire wrote: »
    8k in two years mate.

About €22,500 maybe 20K

tvr wrote: »
    why exactly would you buy 1 year old cars and then keep them for so little time. your not even getting reg snobbery , are you just mad ?

Bought the Golf as a stop-gap to dump the Megane which I had had enough of, intending to improve my situation when i was in a better position. reallly liked the VW but it's bog-standard and fancied something a bit finer - but my pockets are not that deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sounds about right to me tbh. The dealer will have to go through the pain of selling your old car, giving a warranty on it, etc.

I bet you'll do much better if you can sell the old car privately and get a good discount for buying the newer one with cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Sounds about right to me, if anything, not a bad offer to you.
    3k to 3.5k for each year you are buying, plus 1k to 2k is the cost of going through a dealer for those sort of values, especially being base model and miles highish.
    Selling private is the only way you might improve, but you are unlikely to do much better through a dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

THe golf is 20,735 new on the site, you would probably get it for less than 20K cash, you probably go an over generous value when you traded in a car for the 05 car.

As the car is 3 years old you are probably looking at 50% depreciation, so possibly worth about 1,000 more, but the high milage probably accounts for this.

Probally paid over the odds for it itinitally, but that is probably what it is worth now, to a dealer who ahs to give a warenty on a high milage 3 year old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Ah yeah, VW, they don't depreciate....

prospect wrote: »
    Ah yeah, VW, they don't depreciate....

So I heard:cool:

Advertisement