Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recording voice legal?

• 24-01-2008 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I work in a call centre and i had a call where a customer was very unhappy and claimed i was rude and insulting (Which was a load of shíte) Anyway after 10 minutes the customer in a final rant informed me he was in fact taping the conversation at which point i told him i didnt give my permission for this and he yabbered on and on which is not relevant here

What i wanted to know was, am i right in thinking it is illegal for him to do that without my consent?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dub6Kevin

Sorry but you're mistaken.

As long as one party to the conversation is aware that it is being recorded then it is legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Since when?

You can't just go half way through a conversation and say "Sorry, but I'm recording this". The other party must be notified first and then if they are agreeable the recording can commence. What the OP described is illegal and can not be admissable in court AFAIK.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

There may be issues if for example you tried to publish the recording but insofar as the making of the recording itself is concerned, I can't see how its illegal.

Its a different matter to putting a tap on a phone, for example, which is of course illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Thanks for the replies lads, I am not worrying about it being admissible or anything i was just annoyed as hell he didnt mention it from the start and i did think it was illegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

As far as I know its not illegal, but I dont believe a customer wouldnt be in a position to use it against you, our lines used to be recorded and we used to have to introduce ourselves / answer with "this call is being recorded"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

You say you work in a call centre. I wonder is there a message relating to recording calls due to the nature of your work. If so then I would imagine that it would be fair warning to both ends of the conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

There is nothing relating to the recording of calls with us in fact i am not even sure if they do record them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

It's illegal to be recorded by a party not taking part in the conversation, its legal to be recorded by either party that are part of the convo.

I read a quote from a legal-law-type thing here a few weeks back, I'll see if I can find it.

sorry about my english, its late :)

edit: heres another thread on it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055195607&highlight=call+recording+legal

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fliptzer

Hi,
    Sorry for rehashing an old thread but I find this one very interesting. I’ve always wondered about a recording made by mistake or error and the validity of it ever since I saw the film Disclosure.

Debbi Morre comes onto the Michael Douglas who is making a phone call at the time. He denies her advances but she keeps harassing him (No, no, no, stop, stop) until he relents and half way through a sexual act he runs out of the building full of remorse…etc. The whole thing was recorded on an answering machine tape.

Would an ‘accidental recording’ like this be admissible where both parties were unaware and discover it later?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

• Advertisement
Advertisement