Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vmware

• 24-01-2008 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi,

Just need some help getting started on vmware server is there any good articles i should be reading......Can some one tell me if i need an ISO of Windows 03 server to get it running on a virtual machine........Were do i start:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

It is actually pretty easy. Just install VMWare Server.

As far as installing guest operating systems, you can use ISO images or the physical CDROM.

When creating your Guest environment properties, add the various "hardware", like CD ROM drive, Sound Card etc. When adding CD Rom drive, it gives you the option of emulating a drive [ISO] or using the physical drive in your host [normal] machine. Only one guest OS can use the physical CD Rom drive at a time, if I remember correctly.

Give it a shot. If it doesn't work, just start again. That's the beauty of Virtual Machines, they don't affect your computer. They are just one [or a couple of] big file on your disk, as far as your windows host is concerned.

Come back if you need more help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

^ covers it really.
    New -> Vertual Machine -> Typical --> there's an option for 2003. The manual/instructions are quite good.
    One thing, you will want plenty of (physical) RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭hannable80

when i insert the win server disk into the drive is saying no boot device avaiable, check to see if the Vmachine is using my CD rom drive and it is....Do i need VMtools ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

hannable80 wrote: »
    when i insert the win server disk into the drive is saying no boot device avaiable, check to see if the Vmachine is using my CD rom drive and it is....Do i need VMtools ????

Are you getting this error from within VMWare when you are first booting up your guest "computer"? You will need VMTools but only after you install Windows on the VM.

Please type out step by step exactly what you are doing and what you see at each step. Your first line
    when i insert the win server disk into the drive is saying no boot device avaiable
    is not telling the full story.

For example,
    * you put the disk in the drive
    * you start up your empty VM computer which is configured to install Windows 2003
    * At the VM Computer BIOS [black screen with some white writing], it should a prompt that no boot device is detected.

If VM can't boot up off the CD, leave the CD in your drive and reboot your actual main computer. See if THAT boots up off the CD. Don't worry, it won't mess anything up. When your computer boots to Windows 2003 setup, just cancel it the first time you can.

DO NOT CONTINUE WITH THE INSTALL :)

Advertisement