Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New (sort of) Lada Samara on eBay...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Cross ply tyres can and do develop flat spots if tehy are left standing for an extended period of time. If the original owner had a lot of vintage or vetren cars he was probably in the habit of jacking them up, although I doubt he needed to with a "modern" car

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

what a car bargain:p

id say hes done more damage jacking it up for a decade.
    tyres are cheaper than suspension:D
    wonder if i was on a jacking point:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

they are excellent condition for 11 years old. Cant remember the last time i saw them on the roads. I think they are still being built in the old Soviet Union. It is very rare to find vintage brand new cars for sale. There was a Hillman Avenger for sale last year with only a few miles on the clock, still unregistered.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

G Luxel wrote: »
    they are excellent condition for 11 years old. Cant remember the last time i saw them on the roads. I think they are still being built in the old Soviet Union. It is very rare to find vintage brand new cars for sale. There was a Hillman Avenger for sale last year with only a few miles on the clock, still unregistered.:)

It's called Russia now! :D Indeed they are still being built, so is the Riva and Niva (which I regard as one of the best off-road vehicles ever built). I think Lada are trying to make a return to the markets in Western Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

My dad used to have one of these... and a Riva before that!

Ah the pre CelticTiger days were the best (When we were better off walking!) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Niva (which I regard as one of the best off-road vehicles ever built).
    Is that the same or similar to the Cossack which had a great off road reputation.

Be careful with the Samara - serious problems with the electronic ignition module and with brake master cylinders. I sold Lada parts (for my sins) and tbh, the technology involved with Ladas is so low. At one stage, the best thing you could do with your Lada was to bring it to Dublin port when a Russian ship was in because they'd buy it from you for parts as parts were almost impossible to source in Russia (and other countries). It got to the stage that in Russia, Bulgaria (and others) that people used to remove wiper blades when they parked up the Lada so as they wouldn't be stolen by other owners due to parts shortages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

JohnCleary wrote: »
    My dad used to have one of these... and a Riva before that!

Ah the pre CelticTiger days were the best (When we were better off walking!) :D

My dad had a lada too, and a sweet datsun cherry coupe!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

crosstownk wrote: »
    Is that the same or similar to the Cossack which had a great off road reputation.
    That was a special edition or some trim level of the Niva IIRC

That was a special edition or some trim level of the Niva IIRC

I don't know about you, but I find it embarrassing, to some extent, to have Lada knowledge :D

Be careful with the Samara - serious problems with the electronic ignition module and with brake master cylinders. I sold Lada parts (for my sins) and tbh, the technology involved with Ladas is so low. At one stage, the best thing you could do with your Lada was to bring it to Dublin port when a Russian ship was in because they'd buy it from you for parts as parts were almost impossible to source in Russia (and other countries). It got to the stage that in Russia, Bulgaria (and others) that people used to remove wiper blades when they parked up the Lada so as they wouldn't be stolen by other owners due to parts shortages!

Funny you should mention that, the CDI (Or some similar electronic device which was mounted on the firewall - too young to remember the proper term) was forever giving him trouble. Worst incident was getting onto the ferry in Cork heading for France, we had to push the car off at France :( Thankfully had AA insurance and got a replacement car in France, prob the best thing to ever happen

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Funny you should mention that, the CDI (Or some similar electronic device which was mounted on the firewal
    :D

Yep - sounds like the ignition module - about 3 inches square in size and black in colour. Practically every Samara need four or five them throughout it's life!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The owner had to pick up a new hobby when the Communist Party of Great Britain was dissolved and he was no longer required to print pamphlets :D

Communist_Comment_040770r.jpg

unkel wrote: »
    The owner had to pick up a new hobby when the Communist Party of Great Britain was dissolved and he was no longer required to print pamphlets :D

Anyone ever seen (or remember) the light blue coloured Lada Riva that was in the Firhouse area with the letters 'KGB' emblazened down the side? Some guy with a sense of humour! Or does anyone know of the Elvis fans from the Kimmage area with the brown Lada Riva. Those guys used to crack me up!

Anyone ever seen (or remember) the light blue coloured Lada Riva that was in the Firhouse area with the letters 'KGB' emblazened down the side?

I remember that car! The guy who owned it lived only about a 5 minute walk away from where I live! He had that car for years, up until the late 90's.

Last I heard about 4 years ago that there were only 13 Lada's left registered in the country. The only car that's nearly rarer is the Yugo Koral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I myself would love to own a Riva or Samara. I always have a soft spot for shíte cars, and it would be a change from the usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There would also be this on carzone

713090_20070609020632_1.jpg

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=713090

(it's been there for ages and has come down in price considerably)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ebay wrote:
    I have purchased this Lada Samara 1.3S from an old gentleman who collected unusual cars. He purchased this believing it was the last one off the line to come into the UK of this model. I cannot confirm this as the Gentleman has now been taken into care

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Wouldn't touch it unless you were willing to store it ad-finitim.

Had a Niva as a company car once (don't ask... strange country) lasted two days before the gearbox packed up, reverted to the Land Cruiser...

:D

Yep - sounds like the ignition module - about 3 inches square in size and black in colour. Practically every Samara need four or five them throughout it's life!

Bingo! That part was the cause of my fathers hair loss!

• Advertisement

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I myself would love to own a Riva or Samara. I always have a soft spot for shíte cars, and it would be a change from the usual.

Fair enough. But have you ever driven a Lada? Man they are 'rough and ready'. I remember driving one with an LPG kit fitted *shudders* - a blue one that I often seen in the Rathmines/Ranelagh area. If you do buy a Riva make sure you've ample stock of distributor base plates and brake master cylinders. With a Samara you'll need ignition modules as well as brake master cylinders.

Is it still possible to buy Lada parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

no good to me seen as i am unable to walk, now if some one was on a weight and hair loss program i would entuseastically recomend one of these

Advertisement