Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hain resigns

Options
  • 24-01-2008 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭

This to me sums up why we are a joke of a country. our neighbours in the UK won't tolerate any whiff of dodginess or corruption so Hain 'resigned' but we know he was more than likely told by Labour to quit. Meanwhile our lot work away and the electorate lets them-right up to our beloved Taoiseach. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Quite the indictment of New Labour or whats left of it, take a prominent campaigner with impeccable credentials with his anti apartheid/anti nazi league, expose to delights of the top end of Westminster politics over the years and -voila!- from hero to zero, corrupted by power!

By British standards it took him quite a while to resign, if only that disgrace of a man Bertie Ahern took the same line.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

oh dear, shown up by the neighbours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

He'll be shipped to a Europe job within the year:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

tricky D wrote: »
    He'll be shipped to a Europe job within the year:rolleyes:
    He may have done absolutely nothing 'corrupt', just screwed up. The point is that the political system over there doesn't tolerate anything remotely possibly seen as corrupt, so he had to fall on his sword. They are complaining he didn't do it fast enough. Wonder what they'd make of us mugs if they knew how much sh!t we put up with from government.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

murphaph wrote: »
    This to me sums up why we are a joke of a country. our neighbours in the UK won't tolerate any whiff of dodginess or corruption so Hain 'resigned' but we know he was more than likely told by Labour to quit. Meanwhile our lot work away and the electorate lets them-right up to our beloved Taoiseach. :mad:

I have to dis-agree, I think politicians are equally as devious in Britain as they are in Ireland when it comes to dealing with corruption.

Bertie hasn't 'resigned' or been forced to quit by FF as chopping off the head of the party will cause the body to die. If Bertie was to go, it would be an admission of guilt that would destroy the whole party.

Whereas as Hain 'resigning' or being forced to quit is more like chopping off a toe. The party will live without him, and will no longer be associated with corruption.

My point being that the labour party will do whats best for the party's survival, just like FF. Its not a matter of dealing with corruption honestly, but rather dealing with it in the way that best suits the parties needs.
    FF survive by keeping Bertie.
    Labour survive by getting rid of Hain.

If it were Gordon Brown who was in the same trouble, you may bet he wouldn't resign, as like Bertie and FF, its better for Taoiseach/Primeminister to deny any wrong doing rather than admit to it.

• Advertisement

baztard wrote: »
    I have to dis-agree, I think politicians are equally as devious in Britain as they are in Ireland when it comes to dealing with corruption.

Bertie hasn't 'resigned' or been forced to quit by FF as chopping off the head of the party will cause the body to die. If Bertie was to go, it would be an admission of guilt that would destroy the whole party.

Whereas as Hain 'resigning' or being forced to quit is more like chopping off a toe. The party will live without him, and will no longer be associated with corruption.

My point being that the labour party will do whats best for the party's survival, just like FF. Its not a matter of dealing with corruption honestly, but rather dealing with it in the way that best suits the parties needs.
    FF survive by keeping Bertie.
    Labour survive by getting rid of Hain.

If it were Gordon Brown who was in the same trouble, you may bet he wouldn't resign, as like Bertie and FF, its better for Taoiseach/Primeminister to deny any wrong doing rather than admit to it.

Sorry, but that's nonsense because FF have had many many 'dubious' brushes with corruption from local councillors up to cabinet ministers and even when one of them (Mr. lawlor) was sent to PRISON for contempt of court, they still didn't boot him out!

The reason has more to do with the horrendous apathy amongst the electorate than FF itself. If FF can get away with making mug out of us then they will. we are to blame for accepting it. The brits don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Yes, it's definitely the electorate who are to blame. I was amused to see how much of a fuss the media in the UK has been making of the shenanigans with Peter Hain and the Labour Party. In comparison to Fianna Fáil, they're amateurs.

Firetrap wrote: »
    Yes, it's definitely the electorate who are to blame. I was amused to see how much of a fuss the media in the UK has been making of the shenanigans with Peter Hain and the Labour Party. In comparison to Fianna Fáil, they're amateurs.
    Exactly. Hain did eff all in comparison to what our illsutrious leaders do and have done for decades. Their media plays it up because it sells papers. It doesn't here because people are too apathetic for their own good.

Sure everyone knows plenty of people who couldn't care less about Bertie's behaviour.

Advertisement