Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Method to improve cycling?

Options
  • 24-01-2008 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm training for the cycling part of a triathlon at the moment.
    I'm running and swimming a bit too.
    Before Jan, I'd last been on a bike about 7 years ago, when I did cycle a fair bit in and out to work.:(

At the moment my training consists of getting on the bike and just going.
    But I was wondering is this the most efficient way to improve my speed/stamina.
    Would I be better off doing some weights/exercises that concentrate on the leg(/other?) muscles?

Any suggestions/pointers would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Go for power (depending on how far the leg of the Trio you are doing) and low riding position (aerodynamics). If you are doing, say, a 10km cycle leg in the Tri, time yourself on 10km training spin, then up it to 12km and aim for the same time and up it again to 15km again aiming for the same time and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

I'm aiming for a full triathlon, so 40k is the aim.
    I see what you saying though, train for 50 if not 60km and keep going for speed. Good advice.
    Will the aerodynamics not be taken care of by the normal riding position on a racing bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I read somewhere that when starting off you should concentrate on keeping the cadence as high as possible, ideally in the region of 60-70. This helps build up strength in the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

Cadence of 60-70 might be a bit low, you want to be heading more for 70-90 the pro riders in the tour de france I think have a cadence of about 110+ but then that might just be a rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

ollietrex wrote: »
    Cadence of 60-70 might be a bit low, you want to be heading more for 70-90 the pro riders in the tour de france I think have a cadence of about 110+ but then that might just be a rumour.

everyone has their own natural cadence, some are slow mashers on a big gear (jan ullrich) some can spin like the wind on a smaller one (lance armstrong). armstrong was the first in years to use really high cadence to accelerate away on the climbs (110+), and the guys pushing the big gears couldn't respond. that said, around 90rpm is what a lot of people recommend though.

i've found that riding a fixed gear has taught me how to spin a bit more and definitely improved my technique when i'm on the geared bike. i find that concentrating on turning the pedals in a smooth circle instead of just lurching from one leg to the other makes me go faster, particularly when climbing. i heard some track rider talking about seeing yachtsmen using those two handed winches and trying to replicate that action with his feet, which i thought was a good way of putting it.

oh and miles. there's no substitute for miles. loads of 'em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Everyone does have their own optimum but 60-70 is very low; I average 80 with general recrational cycling; I'm not a racer. 80-120 is considered "normal" for racing. From what I have read (having not yet done a triathlon) it is generally accepted that there is a relationship between cycling cadence and running. There are studies suggesting that a higher cadence will help with a faster run; others suggest a lower cadence (say 85-95) to match your typical running stride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

i am trying to improve too. twice during the weekday i train for 1hour on the turbo trainer, with three 15minute intervals of avg cadence 85-90 and avg heart rate of 160-169. the length and intensity of these sessions will increase next month.
    on the weekends i head out for 1 or 2 spins with my club, of distances averaging 120km.

i intend to compete this spring, however it is very hard to stay motivated, especially on the turbo trainer. i try to motivate myself based on my first race performance. i was dropped. no biggy, happens to all noobs.

i guess i can recommend this routine as i have seen big improvements, particularly those of the racing discipline, not necessarily triathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Caue you are bored of the turbo, sets should change, be different and fun.

I quite often do three hour turbos and if they are structured in a good way then the time flies by.

ba wrote: »
    i am trying to improve too. twice during the weekday i train for 1hour on the turbo trainer, with three 15minute intervals of avg cadence 85-90 and avg heart rate of 160-169. the length and intensity of these sessions will increase next month.
    on the weekends i head out for 1 or 2 spins with my club, of distances averaging 120km.

If I am reading this correctly you train two hours a day on the turbo trainer and average 120kms sometimes twice at the weekend just not to get dropped at newcomer level? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

You can download dozens of turbo-training programs here:
    http://www.tacx.com/beleef+tacx.php?language=EN&lvlMain=18&lvlSub=46&lvlSubSub=75&ttop=Cycletrainers

From easy recovery sessions to absolute torture. Helps to keep things varied.

There are several other useful training articles up there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

Hungrycol wrote: »
    If I am reading this correctly you train two hours a day on the turbo trainer and average 120kms sometimes twice at the weekend just not to get dropped at newcomer level? :eek:

you're reading it incorrectly.

but for clarity, 1hr turbo training on tues + thurs. 120km spins on saturday + maybe sunday.
    this in total is about 10hrs on the bike per week.
    btw i was shocked at how difficult competing is.

Thanks for the clarity. Are you talking about competing in Club Competitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

pedaling technique should be looked at. You should be applying force through the vast bulk of the circle, not just on the down stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 wogger

buy a fixed wheel bike, great for everything, cadence,power and smooth pedaling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

paulksnn wrote: »
    I'm aiming for a full triathlon, so 40k is the aim.
    I see what you saying though, train for 50 if not 60km and keep going for speed. Good advice.
    Will the aerodynamics not be taken care of by the normal riding position on a racing bike?
    A set of aerobars will give you even better aerodynamics (my first set was the 55 euro Profile Design Century). I've found that I was able to relax my upper body (no weight on my hands) when in the aero position. They are a massive help if there's any headwind.

You could try to do a few duathlons (generally < 16km cycle) to see get an idea how your training is going. I only do duathlons because the water is so bloody cold, and swimming training is not convenient (I can run or cycle to work but swimming the canal isn't ideal). You can get a full list of events, including duathlons on the Triathlon Ireland calendar.

Advertisement