Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford to end Ghia trim worldwide

Options
  • 24-01-2008 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

I read in Classic Car Mart that there will be no more ford ghia models of any model. They have decided to drop the trim level or 'badge engineered' model because of cost and that the Titanium will take the Ghia slot. I used to like them up to around the 1990s but notice lately that there is hardly any difference between them and the basic LX. Then again, if you want a car with everything, buy something prestige like BMW or Mercedes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

G Luxel wrote: »
    I read in Classic Car Mart that there will be no more ford ghia models of any model. They have decided to drop the trim level or 'badge engineered' model because of cost and that the Titanium will take the Ghia slot. I used to like them up to around the 1990s but notice lately that there is hardly any difference between them and the basic LX. Then again, if you want a car with everything, buy something prestige like BMW or Mercedes.

A pity if true. A Ghia badged Ford was always something special. Some of them even had a different design of dashboard a la the Mk2 Fiesta. In the Mk3 Mondeo they priced the Ghia and Titanium models identically. I can't see how "cost" has all of a sudden become an issue.

Though in the olden days the differences between a Ghia Ford and a non Ghia one were quite substantial(namely Ghias came with loads of kit compared to the more basic ones), nowadays a Zetec Ford has enough kit, though LXs(or Style as is preferred on the Focus and Fiesta) are still basic IMHO.

The Ghia badge has been around since 1971 IIRC, and it is a shame they are going to get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There's one good thing to come from this, and that is a reduction in fake plastic wood trim! \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Is my 08 Galaxy Ghia a collectors item :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Damn Stephen beats me to it! :D

I remember when Ghia meant something, something like Cinzano Bianco and girls in floral dresses!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

G Luxel wrote: »
    Then again, if you want a car with everything, buy something prestige like BMW or Mercedes.
    Have you looked at MB or BMW options lists lately?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I always felt that those Ghia badged Fords were an insult to Carrozzeria Ghia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Quite sure you'll still be able to get the spec but they'll just call it something else and you'll pay more. Car manufacturers do this sort of stupid thing every once in a while when a certain aspect of their brand is well established with the public but the beancounters or Wall Street neurotics deem it essential that it has to go in order to save 0.000579 cent per unit manufactured.

Do you think the Ghia name will still be used on Fords in the US?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Last I looked the US was still part of this world!

testicle wrote: »
    Last I looked the US was still part of this world!

Same here, but what has this got to do with Ford in UK and Ireland dropping the name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The thread title says they're dropping it worldwide 0_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

It's several years since I was in the US but when I was there there was no such thing as a Ford in Ghia trim. It was all letters IIRC though not the same as our LX, GLX and SLX as it was back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have a Focus Ghia myself at the moment and I can tell you it has alot more equipment than the bog standard LX model. It is true though that it doesn't feel or look especially posh like the Ghia models of old used to. It is just an expensive high spec version of the model these days.

In truth the real Ghia died many years ago, now Ford are just confirming it by changing the name.

+1 for getting rid of that plastic wood effect around the dash, it really is naff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Ford took over Ghia in 1973. The first model was the Granada Ghia mark 1. I remember the early ones for the vinyl trim and chrome window ledges on anything from Fiestas to Granadas. There were a few models in the US badged as Ghias but the trim seems to have dissappeared around the late 1980s. Many concept cars by Ford had the Ghia name but there doesnt appear to have been any external manufacturer have their concepts designed by Ghia. Ghia was really just an expensive Ford.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Old enough thread but the newest focus can be bought as a Ghia model, im after seen 5 brand new ones.

Advertisement