Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to sell cars quick as moving to out of the country

Options
  • 24-01-2008 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Have a new job taking me and the family away from Ireland. What is the best way of getting rid of my two cars fast at the right price?
    Is there somewhere that will buy cars for cash or is the auctions the best place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

I'd be inclined to post them on all the major websites to gauge interest & get best price:

http://www.carsireland.ie - free
    http://www.cbg.ie
    http://www.carzone.ie - €30
    http://www.autotrader.ie - €30 (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Also keep them clean and advertise them resonably priced, for quick sale undercut the oposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

I didnt want the hassel of selling them online. I just wanted to take them somewhere and come away with cash in the bank.
    I am looking at 10000 for one and 25000 for the other so I dont see someone turning up at the house and kicking the tyres then handing over that sort of cash. If you sell a car through one of the rags how do you get the money before you hand over the keys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

take a look at the sites above to see if your idea of what you want is reasonable based on what others are asking for the same cars with similar mileage, condition etc. If not then you'll have to drop the prices to sell quick. If you price competetively you might get someone to take them privately. I bought a car for more than 25k privately after I did the AA check, HPI check etc - there is a market for private sellers if you offer a good deal.

oh and to get cash before you hand over the keys, you go to the bank with your buyer and a bank draft and get the teller to lodge it into your account before handing the keys over. standard practice for selling privately

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

merlin auctions?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

dts wrote: »
    I didnt want the hassel of selling them online. I just wanted to take them somewhere and come away with cash in the bank.
    I am looking at 10000 for one and 25000 for the other so I dont see someone turning up at the house and kicking the tyres then handing over that sort of cash. If you sell a car through one of the rags how do you get the money before you hand over the keys?

depends on what cars your selling.

my friend has 33k in his house waiting for the right E46 M3 to pop up, if your car is an E46 M3 and selling for 25k he would be straight up to view it.

stick up some pics here and see if anybody out there is looking for one???
    may be worth a shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭Esel

kceire wrote: »
    my friend has 33k in his house waiting for the right E46 M3 to pop up...
    Interested in a nice little 50:50 earner? :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

depending on the cars shouldnt be too hard to shift... once there priced correctly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

stick up some pics here and see if anybody out there is looking for one???
    may be worth a shot?
    This isn't a forum for selling cars, Adverts.ie is used for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

my friend has 33k in his house waiting for the right E46 M3 to pop up,

What's his address? :D
    @OP You might want to try a main dealer for the respective cars. THey mightn't give you best price, but if you don't want the hassle of selling them privately then it might be your only option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

You're looking for the 2nd hand holy grail - cash on the spot, good price and instant sale! If you work it out let us know...

There is a huge glut of 2nd hand cars on the market and prices are being depressed by cheap UK imports and (it seems) some questions over the new tax rules.

Unless the cars are exceptional or you are giving them away you'll have difficulty getting a dealer to look at them, I would imagine. If you really need shut in a hurry then your only option is an auction but you won't make much. Failing that ads on the sites and wait it out. Or export the cars with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

You're looking for the 2nd hand holy grail - cash on the spot, good price and instant sale! If you work it out let us know...

There is a huge glut of 2nd hand cars on the market and prices are being depressed by cheap UK imports and (it seems) some questions over the new tax rules.

Unless the cars are exceptional or you are giving them away you'll have difficulty getting a dealer to look at them, I would imagine. If you really need shut in a hurry then your only option is an auction but you won't make much. Failing that ads on the sites and wait it out. Or export the cars with you?

Cheers for all the info.
    Made a start this morning by posting one of the cars (the lowest value one) on the free website. I have made sure its the cheepest for its age and will wait to see what response I get.
    The other I will try the Nissan main dealer in Mullingar and see if they would be interested. As I bought it from them and they have done all the services on it I assume they should be my best bet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

esel wrote: »
    Interested in a nice little 50:50 earner? :eek:

LOL :D

Advertisement