Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Car!

Options
  • 24-01-2008 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently on my second provisional and have applied to do my test. If I pass my test I think I will buy my own car as it's not feasible for me to be driving the mother's car as she needs it for work and I'd need to be driving to college/work etc.

So as I know nothing really about cars, I've come to here for help. Only thing I know is that apparently VW's are a good car to buy as they keep their value well. I've been thinking about a Polo (Golf's seem a bit pricey for me), I'm also keeping in mind the high insurance price I'm gonna be stuck with (20 yr old male).

I reckon I'll have a budget of about 5 grand for the car, I can maybe go above.

So what would ye people reccommend?

Comments

does the budget include money for repairs or will you have a seperate fund for that ?

What kind of cars do you like?
    What about 3dr V 5dr etc - do you have any practical necessities?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

does the budget include money for repairs or will you have a seperate fund for that ?

Sounds exactly like my sister!

Is thay you Anne - Marie! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

fiesta

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

What about a civic? They look like a bistro but they handle like a steakhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

If you have a budget of €5,000 I would not worry too much about resale!

I think the priority would be reliability. I think you need to give a few more details like:

what sort of distance commute you do

the size of car you had in mind

and so on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Ok well, 3 door would do.

My commute to college is from Clonsilla to Maynooth, dunno what that'd be in miles though. I wouldn't want anything bigger than a hatchback, there'd be no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

cantdecide wrote: »
    What about a civic? They look like a bistro but they handle like a steakhouse.

:D:D

She's built like a steakhouse - But she handles like a bistro - You win again gravity.

I second the Civic or Fiesta - Cheap and cheerful and keep a fund going for repairs/NCT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

eh civics are nice but are a common wreak as everyone who drives them either burns out the clutch or revs the life out of it

feistras are a good bit more relyable but i would reccomend a clio/peugeot because , they like Every car break but are cheaper to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mazda 323 Fastback 1.5 / 323 Saloon 1.3. Both low insurance. Fastback looks the part and both mucho mucho reliable and then some.

beerbaron wrote: »
    :D:D

She's built like a steakhouse - But she handles like a bistro - You win again gravity.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Keep away from anything french. I would stay away from most things in the VAG(volkswagon-audi group). Jap is best. Honda, Nissan, Toyata, Suzuki, Mazda, Mitzubushi etc.
    1st car i had was a 94 suzuki swift, 3 cylinder animal!lol. V.good on petrol and very reliable. For 5000 you'll get something pretty new if you shop around. buyandsell.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

Mazda 323 Fastback 1.5 / 323 Saloon 1.3. Both low insurance. Fastback looks the part and both mucho mucho reliable and then some.

I agree with this but they drink petrol and well hes a student
    Me too!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

BMW
    Much better for girls than Mazda 323 thing

mick.fr wrote: »
    BMW

I agree

Here comes this car for a girl thing again:rolleyes:

Advertisement