Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving a car with an out of date NCT

Options
  • 24-01-2008 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

NCT up on car for a few months, it went to test, but failed and needed some repairs, while this was being arranged - was stopped by Guard who took my details etc

I expected a fine in the post but I got summons to go to court (no fine received etc) for driving a car without "a valid NCT"
    Is is not usually a fine, if you don't pay, then you are off to court?

Wondering now, what is the very worst that can happen?
    Expecting 2 points on licence with a fine maybe?

Could it be worse, anyone know or aware of?

Appreciate some sensible thoughts on this

......and yes Im a first time offender as I actually have 2 cars and this one was/is the process of being moved on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

It's not a penalty points offence yet, but it is a mandatory court appearence. I'd say you will get a fine, not too much though imo.

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/mandatory_court_appearance.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Thanks for the quick reply Cionad and thanks for the link - much appreciated.

Can I be safe in saying that I will just get a fine then?
    Why wouldn't they have just sent a fine out to me, then I wouldn't be wasting court time etc?

Will I get away with just the fine and without getting penalty points? Im trying to keep my perfect 0 points?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

You're one of the unlucky ones then. I was driving for months with mine up, I went through various checkpoints and was even pulled by the cops at one stage for a penality point offense, not a word was ever said about my NCT cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Maxwell wrote: »
    Can I be safe in saying that I will just get a fine then?
    Why wouldn't they have just sent a fine out to me, then I wouldn't be wasting court time etc?

Will I get away with just the fine and without getting penalty points? Im trying to keep my perfect 0 points?

Yea, eventually they will bring it in as a points offense (5 points presumably) but a fine will be the result. Why the court appearance I don't know, the fine will probably be ~250 Euro so maybe it needs to be a court appearance to fine an amount that large. - but I'm not sure about this.

As Tazzle says, your very unlucky these things are rarely targeted by the Gardaí.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

Fine will be 100e if solicitor represents, 200e max if you represent yourself. Thats at the worst scenario, over in 2 mins. Bad luck btw Maxwell for being bloody caught in the first place!! my nct is up this month and already feel dodgy driving the car, you know, kinda like, watching for checkpoints everywhere i go. When you have it you don't give a $hite, its only when you haven't evrything in order that your quality of life gets f**ked up! the only answer is to get the damn thing passed and if a shade stops you, you can just breeze by.

brousuka wrote: »
    ...if a shade stops you...
    a shade?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

kbannon wrote: »
    a shade?

Guard. Its a Wexford term I think?

I figured it was a garda but never heard it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

a shade?

Yea, it's just an old term for the boys in blue! The travellers actually used to call them shadog (fada over the 'O') I thought it was funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 greatdeeds

Tazzle wrote: »
    You're one of the unlucky ones then. I was driving for months with mine up, I went through various checkpoints and was even pulled by the cops at one stage for a penality point offense, not a word was ever said about my NCT cert.

Personally, I wouldnt sweat it. Theres prety muck jack-all they can do, and once ur tyres etc are in good order the NCT is fairly redunant

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

a shade?
    MYOB wrote: »
    Guard. Its a Wexford term I think?
    In my experience, it seems to be a Galway expression (especially around Tuam) but it does sound a bit stupid! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

In my experience, it seems to be a Galway expression (especially around Tuam) but it does sound a bit stupid! :rolleyes:

Got in there before me Wishbone!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

same thing happened to the guy who bought a saab off me , it had legal paper work and a document signed by the local pig sgt. stating that the car is off the road and will be off the road for the time being but he drove it behind his mates car home ( though they both had hazzards on ) . he got stopped and recived 2 points and a 1000 fine which was soon over turned when he seued the state. Bunch of cowboys

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

'Shades' is a Shelta (Irish Traveller cant) word for the police. Also 'Shaylog and Daylog'. Some words from Shelta seem to be used by non-travellers e.g. 'feen' for guy, 'beor' for girl.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelta_language

Not your ornery onager

S.I.R wrote: »
    same thing happened to the guy who bought a saab off me , it had legal paper work and a document signed by the local pig sgt. stating that the car is off the road and will be off the road for the time being but he drove it behind his mates car home ( though they both had hazzards on ) . he got stopped and recived 2 points and a 1000 fine which was soon over turned when he seued the state. Bunch of cowboys
    There really is no need for that! :rolleyes:

Went to court and got a €75 fine

What a waste of the courts time, sure if they would have only sent me the fine I would have paid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

It seems they're clamping down....

Look at this... Last Week from RTE.IE

If 'one of their own', i.e. A Judge, can get done for it, it really is time to get the NCT pass!!!

Having said that, this was adjourned, so no doubt he will get away with it!!

Forgot to mention, that I got a chance to count the amount of Guards at the court - and they were there the whole day (10am - 6pm):

That includes Plain Clothes, Uniformed and a couple of Sargeants/Inspectors

And this is NOT dublin where there are hundreds and hundreds of Guards available.

This is a county, so if anyone wonders why there aren't that many speed checks/traffic guards/slow call outs to house etcetc.....I think some of the reason is the amount of time spent in court.

Really was ridiculous to see them all sitting there twiddling their thumbs

Isn't that a result of the legislation rather than the gardai choosing to spend a day at the courts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

right lads ye've scared me into action! Imported the car from England, can't remember the date of registration and can't find my certificate of registration, how do I go about booking a test?

Go to www.ncts.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

and Kerry:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

brousuka wrote: »
    Fine will be 100e if solicitor represents, 200e max if you represent yourself. Thats at the worst scenario, over in 2 mins. Bad luck btw Maxwell for being bloody caught in the first place!! my nct is up this month and already feel dodgy driving the car, you know, kinda like, watching for checkpoints everywhere i go. When you have it you don't give a $hite, its only when you haven't evrything in order that your quality of life gets f**ked up! the only answer is to get the damn thing passed and if a shade stops you, you can just breeze by.

What pisses me off is this crack of €100 fine if your have a solicitor, and €200 fine if you represent yourself.
    Why cant you represent yourself in court for a small offence of on NCT on your car? If you are well turned out, repect the court, show regret, have gotten the car tested and passed in the interim, there is no reason not to represent yourself......(its not a murder case).....but why do judges fine harder if you represent yourself.......its like they have a efffing cartel going on in the legal practices;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thjat needs the date of first registration which he hasn't got.

He could take my route, send a really cynical mail to the DoT and RSA who panic; and get an extremely helpful person in SGS's customer support chase up the DoT as to why my car wasn't on the national vehicle database :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

With cars imported the details don't go to NCTS. You have to take down a photocopy of the VLC to the local NCT centre and then wait a few days for the details to be entered into the system.

In the begining of the NCT cars that were not taxed on a certain date were not entered into the database NCTS use. Same procedure was used, take log book to test centre and wait for details to be entered.

Advertisement