Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

three baby seats

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

It's not the 7 seats, per se, it's the fact that you can have 3 kids in the back and plenty of boot space.
    I know estates do this job too, but we went for the Zafira out of comfort. Yes the extra hight might obscure pedestrians view a little more, but when there's a lot less bending down to lift baby seats and kids in and out of the car it saves a little on your back.

OTK, don't start on that 'obesity because kids are driven everywhere' chestnut. Everyones circumstances are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

laney82 wrote: »
    I think the Citroen C4 Picasso has 3 full seats too

Yep 3 individual full seats in the rear- all with ISOFIX. With 3 kids you'd only need the 5 seater version. Boot is big enough too.

C4 Picasso 5 seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Sorry to bump an old thread, but it came up when I was googling on the legal position in Ireland of having three kids a saloon car, and I thought I'd share what I found with my fellow boardsies.

If you have 3 children, it is ok for one of them (presumably the oldest / tallest) to use an adult lap belt *without a booster*, if the other two belts are taken up by child restraints.

I found this nugget on the RSA's website:
    http://www.rsa.ie/childsafetyincars/procontent/FAQs/FAQs/Navigation.html

Here's the relevant chunk:
    What other exemptions apply to private cars?
    Ireland has availed of an option to allow a child of three years of age or over to wear an adult safety belt in the rear of a passenger car or light goods vehicle (LGV), where two child restraints are already fitted, and it is not possible to fit another child restraint.
    I rang the RSA today and confirmed it over the phone that this exemption is in force.

I hope that helps any future searches from folks in a similar position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Yakuza wrote: »
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but it came up when I was googling on the legal position in Ireland of having three kids a saloon car, and I thought I'd share what I found with my fellow boardsies.

If you have 3 children, it is ok for one of them (presumably the oldest / tallest) to use an adult lap belt *without a booster*, if the other two belts are taken up by child restraints.

I found this nugget on the RSA's website:
    http://www.rsa.ie/childsafetyincars/procontent/FAQs/FAQs/Navigation.html

Here's the relevant chunk:

I rang the RSA today and confirmed it over the phone that this exemption is in force.

I hope that helps any future searches from folks in a similar position.

it isn't very safe though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

it isn't very safe though!
    Well, it's safer than not having any kind of restraint on - It is also perfectly legal to have a 4th rattling around the back, completely unrestrained (something I wouldn't be comfortable with at all).
    Personally, I'm glad to see some sense being applied to the law and I'd be happy enough to let my eldest (who will be 8½ when our 3rd arrives) travel in the middle of the car, with the lap belt on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Well, it's safer than not having any kind of restraint on - It is also perfectly legal to have a 4th rattling around the back, completely unrestrained (something I wouldn't be comfortable with at all).
    Personally, I'm glad to see some sense being applied to the law and I'd be happy enough to let my eldest (who will be 8½ when our 3rd arrives) travel in the middle of the car, with the lap belt on.

lap-only belts are seriously dangerous, for adults and kids - they can cause horrendous internal injuries in the event of a crash

if you can't fit a booster, but have a 3-point belt in the middle, something like this might be useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

oh god i wouldnt feel safe doing that at all, just because its legal does not mean its safe. it also means that a really small child is legally alllowed to sit with just the lap restraint also, madness imo.

i think all children should have a proper safety seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

I don't care what any one says When I start having kids They will all have child seats, Its just maybe one day some body might crash into you... accidents do happen. If that day comes You will want to give your children the best chance of survival, In a car crash the G-force is huge Most car crashes will be around 5- 9 G for each G your head will become twice as heavy And will basicly snap their nick.

Buy a good car seat and if you can afford it get a car with a good ncap..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 summerblues

We'll be in same boat as OP.
    When 3rd arrives it'll be 3yrs (40mths), 18mths and 0.....2 in full size seats(not boosters) and the little one in a rear facing car seat for the first 9mths.

So I guess we need 3 adjustable seats in the rear, each with 3 point seat belts?
    Even an estate will be tight wont it?
    Citroen Xsara Picasso is one 5 seater that has adjustable seats in the rear......any other 5 seaters have that?

Do all 7 seaters have it? Mazda 5???

Advertisement