Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are interior lights illegal?

Options
  • 24-01-2008 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I was in Halfords (my new favourite shop) the other day and bought a light for the inside of my car. It's a tube, about 4 inches long, it plugs into the cigarette lighter and lights up in different colours. I have it in a place where it does not reflect against any of the windows or windscreen so it is not at all dangerous, it just looks nice. I have heard since that these are illegal? My boyfriend has blue LEDs lighting up his footwells.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I doubt it. Honda offer blue LED footwell lighting as an option on the Civic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Apart from the fact that it sounds incredibly tacky, I'd imagine that having more light than absolutely necessary (i.e. dashboard lights) in the interior would affect your ability to see well at night. Sounds like a daft idea to me, and potentially dangerous, so whether it was illegal or not, I still wouldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

It's not allowed if its a flashing light, or if its blue (possibly other colours too) afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I have it in the footwell, it changes 7 different colours. I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭Esel

LuckyStar wrote: »
    I have it in the footwell, it changes 7 different colours. I love it!
    Have you got your My Little Pony on the dash too? :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If its in your footwell - not illegal.

Definately dangerous - theres a reason dashboards are surprisingly dim as any internal light reduces visibility at night. I find the "demo" mode on my headunit distracting to the point where I'm having to phone JVC to find out how to turn it off (the method in the manual doesn't work) because of the varying light intensity it puts out...

Also, whats the point of having the footwells lit when you're driving? :confused:

esel wrote: »
    Have you got your My Little Pony on the dash too? :rolleyes:

No, but I do have 2 Hello Kitty air fresheners, Hello Kitty seat belt pads, a Hello Kitty dashboard mat, and a Bagpuss plush cat air freshener. You can see taht I am very at home in Halfords' Interior Styling aisle...

MYOB wrote: »
    Also, whats the point of having the footwells lit when you're driving? :confused:

It looks nice!

It looks nice!

But why are you looking at the footwells?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

they sound very happy leave them alone!!
    Although i do have one quick question what type of car have you got, and i can see halfords have a friend!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

so you go peering down at your 'nice' footwell when you are driving along, oblivious to the dangers you are likely to cause......?
    seems crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

its not illegal to illuminate the interior of your car.
    BMW's have illumination lights the subtly light up the centre console of the car - well my former 530d did anyway - lovely feature at night.

go forth an light up your life!:D

cabrwab wrote: »
    they sound very happy leave them alone!!
    Although i do have one quick question what type of car have you got, and i can see halfords have a friend!

A Mk1 Punto!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Cionád wrote: »
    It's not allowed if its a flashing light, or if its blue (possibly other colours too) afaik.

Not illegal but very distracting - imagine doing a 3hr drive at night with the cabin lit up.

Though you might still get pulled by the fashion police:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

nah its not illegal at all aslong as the colour isnt showing to outside motorists if its blue, ie, mistaken for a cop car.
    I have those blue footwell LEDs too but I fitted them in a way they only come on when i open the door rather than stay on all the time, I can turn them on manually too but never see the need to do it..,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

BMW's have illumination lights the subtly light up the centre console of the car - well my former 530d did anyway - lovely feature at night.

The little orange lights that are by the reading light? They are very subtle though, you just about get a sheen from them off the console - not like the mobile disco the OP seems to like!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

...Halfords' Interior Styling aisle...
    Oxymoron of the week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

legs11 wrote: »
    so you go peering down at your 'nice' footwell when you are driving along, oblivious to the dangers you are likely to cause......?
    seems crazy.

Jesus no, the road and mirrors are enough to keep my eyes busy!

MYOB, I don't need to see my feet, but I like having the option! :)

I love going to Halfords, gives me an excuse to go shopping! :D

Ah now I don't just buy girlie ****e, they are great for all sorts, got my jump leads, wiper blades, headlights there too. I got a good deal a few weeks back, they had 3 for 2 on winter car care so I got some antifreeze and de-icer spray.

Advertisement