Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's a nice place to rent in Dublin!

Options
  • 24-01-2008 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hey guys, I'm a newbie. I've just moved to Dublin and I'm staying with (distant) relatives right now but would love to move out for the rest of my time here. Where's good to rent in the Southside? Also where can I find people to move in with. All suggestions appreciated! Thanks guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Dublin 2, 4, 6, Sandymount, Booterstown, Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire, Seapoint, Glenageary, Killiney, Dalkey, Stillorgan, Mount Merrion, Donnybrook, Milltown...

Do you want to live in the city or the suburbs?

For other people looking for flatmates: http://www.daft.ie/discussions.daft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Aran61

Cool, thanks! I guess near the city, I don't plan on spending all my time here studying! My sister told me that Irish people like to party so I plan on going out. A lot!

Yeah Dublin is a great city if you like to party :)

What's your rent budget?

I live in Dublin 2. This is probably the best location if you want to live in the city. Moving outwards you have: Dublin 6/Donnybrook/Sandymount

You could also consider Dublin 8. It would be a slightly more run down part of Dublin but it's still nice, safe enough, and close to everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

If you're wanting to go out a lot I'd recommend, somewhere nearish city centre, no further out than Rathmines, lots of accom still in what used to be flatland!. I wouldnt touch Blackrock, Sandymount, Booterstown, Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire, Seapoint, Glenageary, Killiney, Dalkey, Stillorgan, but I guess thats just me, souless overpriced places and you'll end up queuing for taxis from town for the greater part of your saturday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

anywhere along the luas or dart lines
    obviously closer to town the better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Transport is a biatch in Dublin, get somewhere close to town/college/work. Taxis on a saturday night are tough to get. I'd agree with patrickolee on those areas he listed being soulless, based on experience.

Thanks guys! You are so helpful! I gotta start looking today. Next question, where's good to party?!!! I don't wanna meet any creepy guys. I've had enough of them to last me forever!

Good pubs in the City Centre are Anseo, Solas, Carnival, Dice Bar, Sin e, Hogans, The Globe/RiRa, Whelans...

Maybe you should elaborate what you mean by party...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Yep the Wexford Street to George's Street strip is probably best in Dublin. Temple Bar is generally full of tourists. What type of music do you like? That will help us recommend places too

jdivision wrote: »
    Yep the Wexford Street to George's Street strip is probably best in Dublin. Temple Bar is generally full of tourists. What type of music do you like? That will help us recommend places too

Well I guess I'll fit in at Temple Bar, LOL! I like lots of different genres, but mostly I like to dance. I guess that's what I mean by party. Couple of beers, cocktails and dancing. I like to get loaded every once in a while (but I'm not a big druggy!) I can shoot pool too, (like pretty good for a girl!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Theres a good pool place upstairs in the Palace on Camden St. Some good pubs around there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Aran61 wrote: »
    Well I guess I'll fit in at Temple Bar, LOL! I like lots of different genres, but mostly I like to dance. I guess that's what I mean by party. Couple of beers, cocktails and dancing. I like to get loaded every once in a while (but I'm not a big druggy!) I can shoot pool too, (like pretty good for a girl!)

Sorry I should have specified drunken idiot English stag and hen parties stumbling and vomiting all over the place while bemoaning the fact that you have to use euro here.
    So Wexford/Camden Street sounds like you (I'll be the tall guy cos I go out there all the time):
    Solas does good cocktails - good value by Irish standards, good atmosphere but laid back so you won't be dancing
    The Village is a good late bar where you can dance a bit - pay in after certain times on Fridays and Saturdays, free other nights. It's mainly used by people as a late bar the rest of the week so you could be in there at 10:30 and there'll be five people and by 11:30 there'll be 300, most of whom have come in in the last 10 minutes.
    As recommended by last poster, Camden Palace for Pool
    Whelans has a nice laid back crowd and good Guinness. They open up the back after about 10:30 and you can dance away there to indie music.
    Crowd in all of the above is generally 21-35.

If you like hardcore dance etc I wouldn't really know where to go these days tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Any of the places on Harcourt st which is very close to Camden would be pretty commercial music.

Advertisement