Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uPVC Windows

Options
  • 24-01-2008 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭

Hey I have a leaking window and after ripping out the window board I start to see why.
    1) The frame is not sealed to the window ledge
    2) There is water dripping from a horizontal joint on the frame.
    pict2117nr7.th.jpg
    It ht pic you can see the gaps at the bottom, they can be sealed from the outside I guess.
    But the water is literally running from the pvc to pvc "joint" you can see running the width of the bottom of the window.
    Whats this for? Im guessing its linked up to the drainage holes at the front, but whats it draining from? How does water get in here and more importantly, why on earth would it leak out here?

FYI we do have a crazy prevailing wind but surely the window should be waterproof!

Finally, when fitting these windows, is it normal for them to arrive with the glass in the frame? If so doesnt that mean that they can only be fixed to the house at the opening part of the window? Is that safe/normal?

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

Firstly, I notice that you have brick, generally the windows would be placed into the ope and plastered up to ont the outside, with brick this isnt possible. Generally the windows in a brick house SHOULD be fitted from the inside with the brick outer leaf overlapping the inner leaf by about 10-20mm on either side. The drainage holes are actually there to allow condensation formed on the inside of the window to drain out, you don't see them a lot now because of double glazing. Generally domestic windows will come in the frames where as larger curtain walling frames are manufactured on site and the glass fitted seperately.

But unfortunately I think your problem stems from the celtic tiger, With all the new houses being built I am seeing building practices and procedures cheapened enormously. Normally windows would be ordered, arrive on site and be fitted with some after service available, but with window companies like MJ delivering to hundreds of housing estates every day aftersales goes out the window as does structural design of the window frame and good workmanship in the fitting. Why would you return to fix a window in estate A for free when you could spend the time fitting a new one in estate B.

My advice would be to get the fitters back to look at it and failing that fill around the frame with expanding foam

Advertisement