Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland squad - With no Ireland in it

• 24-01-2008 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭

Date of Birth Caps Goals
    Goalkeepers
    Shay Given (Newcastle United) 20/04/76 85 0
    Joe Murphy (Scunthorpe United) 21/08/81 1 0
    Colin Doyle (Birmingham City) 31/08/77 1 0

Defenders
    Stephen Kelly (Birmingham City) 06/09/83 9 0
    John O’Shea (Manchester United) 30/04/81 43 1
    Andy O’Brien (Bolton Wanderers) 29/06/79 26 1
    Joey O’Brien (Bolton Wanderers) 17/02/86 3 0
    Kevin Kilbane (Wigan Athletic) 01/02/77 86 7
    Richard Dunne (Manchester City) 21/09/79 39 5
    Paul McShane (Sunderland) 01/06/86 9 0

Midfielders
    Lee Carsley (Everton) 28/02/74 38 0
    Andy Reid (Charlton Athletic) 29/07/82 27 4
    Steven Reid (Blackburn Rovers) 10/03/81 20 2
    Aiden McGeady (Celtic) 04/04/86 16 0
    Stephen Hunt (Reading) 01/08/81 9 0
    Liam Miller (Sunderland) 13/02/81 15 1
    Damien Duff (Newcastle United) 02/03/79 66 7

Attackers
    Robbie Keane (Tottenham Hotstpur) 08/07/80 78 32
    Kevin Doyle (Reading) 18/09/83 15 5
    Shane Long (Reading) 22/05/87 7 3
    Daryl Murphy (Sunderland) 15/03/83 6 0

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2794

No real surprises, seems Stephen Ireland still has not overcome his issues. And Duff is back, wonder if he'll play well, anyone know how well he's done since he came back from injury, surely not great given NUFC recent trials & tribulations...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A world beating squad, bring on Brazilia, Don Givens will lead us to victory surely..:o

I thought the shambles would have been over by now but playing this match without a new manager is absolutely ridiculous.

Possibly the most pointless excercise the Irish team has ever done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Three of the four strikers are ex-Eircom League, but its worth nothing without Weso. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

im guessing Stephen Kelly is our new 1st choice RB, not exactly impressive in an admittedly unimpressive Birmingham City Backline, come back Stevie Finnan!

Kelly has impressed me more and more as he has gone on with Ireland, and certainly hasn't been poor when I've seen him for Birmingham this season. I've seen him make about three goal-saving challenges already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

No Ireland? No Hoolihan?

Givens; Out!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Given

Kelly
    Dunne
    McShane
    O'Shea

S. Reid
    Carsley
    A. Reid
    Hunt/Duff

Doyle
    Keane/Hunt

Unsure whether I'd leave out Keane or Duff or Hunt.

Andy Reid is injured at present, so if he is out, I'd imagine that Hunt will go right wing and Reid will move central.

No Ireland? No Hoolihan?

Givens; Out!!!!

Surely with your footballing brain you are due a call up soon?

Tell us a story esteban...

In the words of Jimbo Jones ''I'm all washed up''

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

psi wrote: »

Given

Kelly
    Dunne
    McShane
    O'Shea

S. Reid
    Carsley
    A. Reid
    Hunt/Duff

Doyle
    Keane/Hunt

Andy Reid is injured at present, so if he is out, I'd imagine that Hunt will go right wing and Reid will move central.

WHAT!!!! No Kevin Kilbane in the starting 11??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

[QUOTE=psi;54955422

.[/QUOTE]

:eek: :confused: Stephen Ireland wont be back in any Givens run game, they have had a falling out since the youth team days havent they? For Wales Givens said Ireland hadnt called him and he wasnt arsed chasing him up.

Hope to god the new manager gets him back. Any of the numerous amount of you who have ran into the Reading 3 on the tear in Dublin lately ask them about it? Have they shaken hands/interacted post Reading v Man City yet (assuming theyve played, I cant remember tbh)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭secman

And no Clinton Morrison, scoring regularily at the mo for palace, and in fairness his record for Ireland is not the worst, better than Daryl me thinks !

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

no hoolihan and no clinton - madness had givens been to any games in between interviewing people for the job?

Ive never understood the abuse Morrison has got.

Alot of it seems to be around his tenous connection to Ireland. Tenous as it is, far as I know he has only one grandparent, which is as much as a great deal of others have had (or in Cascarinos case, none at all)

He is more Irish, than Henry, Viera and most French players are French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Henry and Viera were Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

No, they are born in DOM TOM and French citizens by birth.

IIRC Stephen Ireland is not being selected for a while as punishment - has he apologised for the two dead grannies and miscarraige lies? Until he does he should remain blacklisted.

psi wrote: »
    Henry and Viera were Irish?

I honestly did not see that one coming.

What?

Are you saying Clinton Morrison is more Irish than Henry is French or am I missing something?

Henry was born in France.

No, they are born in DOM TOM and French citizens by birth.

IIRC Stephen Ireland is not being selected for a while as punishment - has he apologised for the two dead grannies and miscarraige lies? Until he does he should remain blacklisted.

Im fairly sure he did apologise not long after publicly, to Stan, the team/fans and his family. There were rumours (as always) that the lads had been taking the piss over an alledged hair transplant and thats why he wasnt returning. Either way Ireland will never play under Givens, so we have to wait and see what the new man does.

Thats what would worry me about the selection process actually. Surely one of the biggest questions in these "interviews" woould have, or should have, been "Are you aware/how do you intend to reoslve the Ste Ireland situation?". However I cant imagine Givens actually wanting that included on the question list, seeing as he himself basically said if he wants to play tell him to call me, Im not chasing him.

I suppose one ray of light is that Stephen, who was born here, was eligible for us, England and (apparently) Italy through family connections. While I doubt he ever thought he could make Italy (not saying hes a bad player, he is one of our best developing players....but Italy....c`mon like :D ), there would be a chance he coulda made the England squad, so I guess him picking us over them is a plus in terms of whether he will come back.

As for the French, Viera was born in Senegal. Apparently there was once a verbal between him and Keane in the tunnel that went something like

Viera "I would never walk out on my country"
    Keane "You never even played for your country" :D

Other notables would be Karembeu who was born in the Pacific, and I think Thuram and Malouda are from the French carribean. Personally Ive always thought elibibility should go on either

a- Birth in the country

b- The grandparent rule (pretty much any country who had its populaion depleted by emigration due to a bad post colonial economic state does it, its fair imo. Half of some Carribean teams are made up of black English C`ship players)

c- Growing up in the country. Viera I can live with, he was a kid when he came to France. Middle Eastern states granting passports to Brazillians who arrive to play club football in their late teens, or Poland and that Nigerian dude is not on imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

On current form I reckon it should be:

Given

Kelly
    Dunne
    O'Brien
    Kilbane

Duff
    S. Reid
    Carsley
    Hunt

Doyle
    Keane

Really disappointed that Ireland is not included. Time to bring this silliness to a close and stop being a laughing stock. Oh wait I forgot what country I was in for a second. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

shane86 wrote: »
    Viera "I would never walk out on my country"
    Keane "You never even played for your country" :D

:D brilliant line that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

im guessing Stephen Kelly is our new 1st choice RB, not exactly impressive in an admittedly unimpressive Birmingham City Backline, come back Stevie Finnan!
    I don't know how reliable this is but anyway, Half-Term Premiership report:

"Star man Stephen Kelly - has a fine repertoire of last-ditch tackles. Honourable mentions go to Mehdi Nafti and Sebastian Larsson for their commitment and Cameron Jerome for his efforts up front."

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sport/story/0,,2236255,00.html

btw - A.Reid won't be playing. Injured again. Charlton are struggling without him. They've only won 1 of the 8 games since he got injured. They were 3rd in the league before that and favourites for automatic promotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

To be honest, I think Joey O'Brien is a better right back than Stephen Kelly.

More calm on the ball, looks for the pass.(Even if he does play for Bolton:p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I think B. Murphy is a better option than Doyle in goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

shane86 wrote: »
    Other notables would be Karembeu who was born in the Pacific, and I think Thuram and Malouda are from the French carribean.

Even Zidane is Algerian. Not bad when you can have the pick of 65 million people and half of Africa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Zidane is not ****ing Algerian. That's just utter bull****. He grew up in the slums of Marseille, and is French through and through.

It's hilarious the crap people come up with. Morrisson isn't Irish because only parents are Irish, he was born in England. Zidane isn't French because while he spent his entire life in France, his parents are Algerian.

Yes he is Algerian, same way my friends sister is Libyan even though she was born here.

Morrison is Irish in the reverse way that Zidane is French, the only difference is France was a colonial master which gives rise to people like Zidane, Mavuba and Nasri playing for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yes he is Algerian, same way my friends sister is Libyan even though she was born here.

Morrison is Irish in the reverse way that Zidane is French, the only difference is France was a colonial master which gives rise to people like Zidane, Mavuba and Nasri playing for them.

You're the nationality of the country you were born in. I was born in Australia, grew up in Ireland. I have dual citizenship yet my Irish passport has my place of birth as Australia. My Australian passport says nothing about Ireland. Therefore Australian is my nationality, same way Zidane's is French. He is merely entitled to an Algerian passport through parentage the same way I'm entitled to an Irish one.

Alas, that is where the comparisons stop between me and Zizou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You're the nationality of the country you were born in. I was born in Australia, grew up in Ireland. I have dual citizenship yet my Irish passport has my place of birth as Australia. My Australian passport says nothing about Ireland. Therefore Australian is my nationality, same way Zidane's is French. He is merely entitled to an Algerian passport through parentage the same way I'm entitled to an Irish one.

Alas, that is where the comparisons stop between me and Zizou.
    Who would you play for though?

If there was some kind of world disaster that killed footballers, and the national teams of both countries came a-calling, which one would you represent?

I'm not trying to be smart, just genuinely curious.

Or let's say I was the International Astro Manager, and I came and asked you to play for Ireland, but the Astroroos manager wanted you too.

What would you do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

DesF wrote: »
    Who would you play for though?

If there was some kind of world disaster that killed footballers, and the national teams of both countries came a-calling, which one would you represent?

I'm not trying to be smart, just genuinely curious.

Or let's say I was the International Astro Manager, and I came and asked you to play for Ireland, but the Astroroos manager wanted you too.

What would you do?

I've been asked this countless times by mates and I suppose the answer would lie in my personal circumstances. If I had all my family in Ireland, was playing in the eL or Premiership etc then I'd probably go for Ireland but only out of convenience. I'd love to play for Australia to be honest as it's the country of my birth. I wouldn't want the 'Plastic Paddy' name bestowed on me by begrudgers.

Advertisement