Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlicensed Restaurant? Good Friday!

Options
  • 24-01-2008 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi - Can anyone let me know of any unlicensed restaurants in Dublin City Centre. I'm looking for somewhere "nice" to host a birthday party on Good Friday - everywhere else will probably be shut. This way we can bring our own (hopefully) and get around the pesky and antiquated licensing law! All I can think of is Khan's in Donnybrook, but wanted a bit more 'upmarket'...

cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

McDonalds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ex-Paddy

thanks. very helpful.

I think we differ on what could be considered "upmarket". For the avoidance of doubt, anywhere that sells meat products that have been 'mechanically reclaimed' falls outside the particular rubric...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Ex-Paddy wrote: »
    This way we can bring our own (hopefully) and get around the pesky and antiquated licensing law!

I genuinely can't see this happening. The only way around it is to find a restauranter that you know, maybe they will treat it as a non paying private party and you pay cash? Could you approach the owner of a place you frequent a lot maybe? Even if this happens, I doubt they will let you BYOB.

Problem is I don't live in Ireland any more, the only restauranteur I know has a very up-market place and has shut for the evening. Any un-licensed place will most likely treat the day as any other, and there's no legal prohibition on people consuming alcohol in an unlicensed premises (much the same as there's no prohibition on the thousands of house-parties that will happen that day!).

and there's no legal prohibition on people consuming alcohol in an unlicensed premises (much the same as there's no prohibition on the thousands of house-parties that will happen that day!).

I'm not sure on the law, but surely an unlicenced premises can't serve booze? House parties are in private houses... As I said, you will have to have it as a private party... An cafe or foodery would get in to trouble for serving alcohol, good friday or not.

• Advertisement

yep, they can't serve booze - but there's no prohibition on serving food. The BYOB concept is that you bring your own, self-bought alcohol - so you don't need the place to supply it. It's all perfectly legal (that's my area of expertise ;)) the tricky part is finding the place....

yep, they can't serve booze - but there's no prohibition on serving food. The BYOB concept is that you bring your own, self-bought alcohol - so you don't need the place to supply it. It's all perfectly legal (that's my area of expertise ;)) the tricky part is finding the place....

So you can bring a bottle of wine to an unlicenced cafe and pour away?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,144 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's a bit more expensive, but if you host the party in a hotel and some of you stay overnight in the hotel, don't you get around the Good Friday law by being classed as a 'bona fide traveller and so can obtain alcohol in the hotel bar\function room? Just a theory...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

with the consent of the owner/management, yes. they normally charge corkage, but not sure if that would be permitted.

unfortunately hotels can only serve to "bone fide" guests. Trains can serve also, strangely. The options are put everyone up in a hotel or stick us on a night train to Cork! Looks like will have to beg a friend to let me have a house party...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Hi, there's a Korean restaurant on Capel street which is un licenced and the let you bring your own booze, its called Bon Ga.

http://www.menupages.ie/Dublin/Restaurants/North_Dublin_Centre/Korean/Bon_Ga.aspx

Advertisement