Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tv license

• 24-01-2008 7:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is correct forum but here goes anyway.

Got a visit from the tv license inspector a few weeks ago,got a letter in the post today threatning legal action.

Who is responsible for getting tv license the landlord or us.The Tv was in the house when we took residence.We will be leaving the house in june?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

It doesn't matter who owns the house or the TV. It's the person in possession and or use of the television receiving equipment (which disturbingly can be as little as a TV ariel on your roof!!) who is liable for the TV Licence. Grab your TV Licence reminder, run to your local post office where for just €160 they will issue a licence backdated to whenever the licence was due for renewal and you can send a photocopy of this to your local TV licence records office who will call off the dogs. If you cant find the licence reminder, ask the post office to issue a new licence. That will cover you from that day forward but I dont think it can be back dated, ask if they can. Then send the photocopy as before. It sucks but it's cheaper than a day in court. Good luck.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12 carolhyl

hi i have a question. I moved from a house i was sharing with 3 others a while back last year. we had a tv licence at this address in my name. when we all moved out i did not take tv licence with me as only had 2 months left on it. I now own my own apartment and have had a tv licence since moving in here. should i have cancelled my name from last licence or does that even matter now I am at another address and always have had a licence?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

When you moved out you could have taken the license with you and had it transferred to your new place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

eve wrote: »
    When you moved out you could have taken the license with you and had it transferred to your new place.

Are you sure of that? I thought the licence was for a year only and couldn't be transfered or cancelled.

hi eve...was renting so left license for people who were moving in as only 2 months left on it anyway. what i am asking is if not taking license with you is there any need to take your name off their records for that address?
    Or will they realise I have moved out and just send to "the resident"....
    i.e if they send out a letter to that address now will they address it to me so it won't be opened...or up to them to figure that out????
    or does it even matter...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

carolhyl wrote: »
    hi eve...was renting so left license for people who were moving in as only 2 months left on it anyway. what i am asking is if not taking license with you is there any need to take your name off their records for that address?
    Or will they realise I have moved out and just send to "the resident"....
    i.e if they send out a letter to that address now will they address it to me so it won't be opened...or up to them to figure that out????
    or does it even matter...

It might be no harm to tell the post office you have moved by letter, and keep a copy, although you are obviously not responsible for the tenants who followed you to your last residence.

I have been in my flat for 5 years and had a tv license because we don't have a tv. I refuse to let the tv licence man in and, as far as i am aware, they have no rights of entry. We still get threatening letters from them which we just bin.

but no legal obligation on me given my name might be on licence for that address in the past?
    I don't know if they address subsequent ones to me and me only or "resident" in that address if they don't know I have moved out...
    frankly i reckon they should have to figure it out? I moved out and was good enough to leave licence (with my name on it) for those moving in to house. on anpost.ie it just says contact them if you want to change address on licence and I didn't obviously. bought my own new licence when bought my new apartment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Forget the gorilla that calls to your door. Look up your phone book for your local brance office of An Post (not sub office) which will have a number for your nearest TV Licenc records section. Ask to speak to the manager. There will be an account number associated with each address. Explain your story. You were there, you moved leaving the licence (nice welcome pressie for new tenant ;)) with 2 months on it (you could have moved the account to your new address and avoided having to buy a new licence for another 2 months). Give him the old address, he'll look it up on the database to ensure your name isn't on it, and give him your new address which will already have your details recorded on his database. All you really need to do is ensure your name isnt on the old addess. Post-men have enough to be doing to be sorting out who has moved address. It's for everyone to go to the effort of changing their address on everything themselves. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭twasantis

i got me a letter today over this,i just moved into rented accomadation..is there no exceptions to this?cuz its a bit of a joke!! buy a tv,have to pay for cable and i gotta pay for the privilage!!!!!!!!seriously like!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

twasantis wrote: »
    i got me a letter today over this,i just moved into rented accomadation..is there no exceptions to this?cuz its a bit of a joke!! buy a tv,have to pay for cable and i gotta pay for the privilage!!!!!!!!seriously like!!!!!!

That's life. Deal with it.

• Advertisement

twasantis wrote: »

Yeah, you used the correct word there. Boo hoo, it's the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭twasantis

Myth wrote: »
    Yeah, you used the correct word there. Boo hoo, it's the law.

i been reading the wireless telgraphy act thingy it falls under....its kinda verging on extortion!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone know under what grounds do governments justify charging for these licenses???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

IF THE TV MAN COMES TO THE DOOR DONT GIVE UR NAME ITS THE MISTAKE I MADE,CLOSE THE DOOR AND DONT SAY A WORD.EVEN IF YOU HAVE A BAD RECEPTION USTILL HAVE TO PAY, ITS FOR OWNING A EVICE CAPABLE OF REVIEVING A SIGNAL.WATCH OUT THE GUY SAID HE WAS FROM THE PO CHECKING ADDRESSES AND ASKED FOR MY NAME,ME WITH A FEW BEERS IN ME WILLINGLY OBLIGED,THEN HE DROPPED THE BOMBSHELL THE B****ARD!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, making us pay for state services. Those Bastards! Extortion!

Thread Closed. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement