Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stopped with no NCT cert?

• 24-01-2008 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

was stopped today by a bangarda for not having my nct,i havnt nct'd it since i bought the car but never any questions asked until today,i said i was awaiting my new nct cert(i know i should not have said it but was caught off the hop)and she said to provide my drivers license and proof of nct at local garda station within 10 days....do u think they will follow this up,possible fine,court etc? everything else was in order...

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

How long have you had the car?

Book it in now btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If your car is old enough to be NCT'd or it's NCT has expired it's not roadworthy. She could have had it impounded there and then. If I was in her position I wouldn't be too bothered with expired tax but no NCT or insurance would be towtruck without fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Timmy_d

How long have you had the car?

Book it in now btw.

3 years in may,i might try get a letter from NCT crowd saying i have allpied and produce that with the license...

If your car is old enough to be NCT'd or it's NCT has expired it's not roadworthy. She could have had it impounded there and then. If I was in her position I wouldn't be too bothered with expired tax but no NCT or insurance would be towtruck without fail.

What,impounded for? Its a 97

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

so the car all of a sudden develops a load of faults and becomes non roadworthy overnight when the NCT expires eh? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

D_murph wrote: »
    so the car all of a sudden develops a load of faults and becomes non roadworthy overnight when the NCT expires eh? :rolleyes:

Nuff said. Some people think the NCT is some sort of holy grail.
    Not worth the paper its written on in most cases :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

D_murph wrote: »
    I know what you mean, but the onus is on the owner to prove their car is roadworthy. No NCT = not proven to be roadworthy. It can, and should, therefore be treated as unroadworthy. Being practical, there is no other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

If I was in her position I wouldn't be too bothered with expired tax but no NCT or insurance would be towtruck without fail.

Expired tax is a valid cause for impounding a vehicle. Just so you know ;)

ambro25 wrote: »
    Expired tax is a valid cause for impounding a vehicle. Just so you know ;)

ok guys just so we stay on track :) it was only the NCT cert,my tax and insurance were fine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Timmy_d wrote: »
    was stopped today by a bangarda for not having my nct,i havnt nct'd it since i bought the car but never any questions asked until today,i said i was awaiting my new nct cert(i know i should not have said it but was caught off the hop)and she said to provide my drivers license and proof of nct at local garda station within 10 days....do u think they will follow this up,possible fine,court etc? everything else was in order...

They may take the car off and impound it or you will get a BIG fine. I would book a NCT asap and hope it doesn't fail ;). If you had a crash and you where at fault, your insurance company can refuse to pay as the car had no NCT so was not road worthy.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

You muppets in the south should be taught about safety.

No, but you have no proof the car is free of dangerous faults. Or was at least ok in the recent past ( less than 2 years ago ) and if that's the case it's most likely going to be fairly ok if it has passed an NCT recently. By no means saying this particular car wasn't sound enough but there's still a load of accidents waiting to happen out there. Why do you think a fair few people who don't NCT their cars drive around this way ? Because they know damn well it hasn't a snowballs' chance in hell of passing and they don't give a fiddlers. Even from an insurance point of view you start walking on thin ice with expired NCT as most insurance companies stipulate that your car has to be kept in a roadworthy condition for your cover to stand, and how do proof that : NCT.

Anyway, book it in and get it sorted. Even if it fails on a few minor things it's about the cheapest quick general inspection you'll ever get.

Ambro, you're right but I just want to emphasise that technical roadworthiness should have a higher importance than a few shillings for the DOE.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Oriel wrote: »
    Statistically, is the North any safer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Proof of NCT within 10 days? Considering it can take 3-4 weeks advance booking to even get an appointment in the place I'd say you'd be doing well to get it inside a week and a half. No doubt the cop knew this so why she asked for it I dunno but seems a total waste of her own time.
    You should produce your license & insurance anyway. You might not hear anymore about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

Ring the nct crowd in the morning they have a cancellation list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Happent to me, just produce your license at the station, say to the gardai, that I was asked to produce an nct report, which I dont have. Dont give the gardai down the station a load of crap.

You dont have one end of story.

And that will be the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

If your car is old enough to be NCT'd or it's NCT has expired it's not roadworthy.

The NCT is not a certificate of roadworthiness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

You need NCT, Insurance & Tax. Thats all, 3 things. Regardless of what you think of them, you need them. Why the hell would you not bother with the NCT? If your caught, then its hassle. A lot more hassle than bringing your car in for 15 mins every 2 years. If your caught, you will have to pay more than just the 50 quid for the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,935 ✭✭✭✭L1011

kbannon wrote: »
    Statistically, is the North any safer?

Significantly less so. 136 road deaths in 2005 for NI, 400 here. Per 100,000 cars this equates to about 1.4 for us and 1.9 for Northern Ireland.

NI = worse roads, many hundreds of miles of atrocious quality dual carriageway (taking our "high quality" notion and abusing it there) with median breaches and a 70mph speed limit, mixed with a lethal combination of sunday drivers who won't exceed 55mph and those who seem to think the speed limits are lowest speed requirements and regularly do in excess of 100 on standard single carriageway A roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Forget the state of the car etc etc.

I think the point here is that the OP fell foul of the law in not displaying a cert.

He dug further into this hole by saying he was "awaiting" the cert...

You don't get your NCT cert in the post...

Three years without an NCT is taking the piss, in all fairness.

Book it in, then get yourself down to the station and plead...

You're guilty at this stage, you're only hope is in mitigation IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

Indeed - I see SO many of your buddies driving down here giving excellent examples of safety :rolleyes:

OP - If I were you I would try to make contact with the Garda and explain the situation - you could end up in more trouble for saying you are waiting on the cert than for not actually having one.

They can easily check if your car had been tested, in fact she may have done so which is why she asked you to produce.

You could try calling to you local center and looking for a last minute cancellation - tell the guys there the story, they may help.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

i notice he typed that on a computer from a long distance away :rolleyes:.

a very good lesson in safety in its own way :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

OP is likely to be summonsed for no nct and failure to produce nct with 10 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

:confused::confused:
    how the hell did you conclude that, i know cars that are too old for the nt and they are in better condition then some cars with NCT.

i had the nct last week, he missed the play in the wheel bearing and my glued on wiper blade;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

it seems the nct is a requirement not legistation, lets all wait until the judge from mitchelstown has been convicted by one of his own, on a personal note i had a car fail the nct last year for the emissions, as it was not on the road i was in no hurry to get it re tested, got another full test done with less than 100 miles up, failed, this time for wheel bearings, imo you pays your money and takes your chances,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

At the risk of thread drift...

Old Boy, similar experience here, on my retest, my emissions improved (never a problem btw) my front brake ovality decreased dramatically and my dampers suddenly got weaker...

Hmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Ambro, you're right but I just want to emphasise that technical roadworthiness should have a higher importance than a few shillings for the DOE.

Of course, and that was never at issue: considering one's in effect staking their life on the technical roadworthiness of their vehicle every time they sit and set off in it, that's just plain old common sense ;) (especially more so if one is driving other people in their car)

• Advertisement

Kona, I wasn't talking about the car's technical condition. I just want to say that when your car is of a certain age it has to have current NCT to be on the road and have the according disk displayed. If it doesn't it's not roadworthy, just the same as not having a tax and/or insurance disk displayed.

By the way, you're absolutly right about the quality of the NCT in some cases. I personally have had a car passing about 6 years ago with a bulge on the right rear tyre and it went unnoticed. It should have been an instant fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Kona, I wasn't talking about the car's technical condition. I just want to say that when your car is of a certain age it has to have current NCT to be on the road and have the according disk displayed. If it doesn't it's not roadworthy, just the same as not having a tax and/or insurance disk displayed.

By the way, you're absolutly right about the quality of the NCT in some cases. I personally have had a car passing about 6 years ago with a bulge on the right rear tyre and it went unnoticed. It should have been an instant fail.

isnt roadworthy a term to describe the technical quality of a car???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,935 ✭✭✭✭L1011

kona wrote: »
    isnt roadworthy a term to describe the technical quality of a car???

Yes, meathstevie appears to be trying to give the word a different meaning for some reason... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

Through carelessness on my part my NCT was 1 year out of date.

I was stopped by the Gardai once and they noticed.

They were not that bothered and there was no follow up.

I don't believe that they take it too seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭badlyparkedmerc

It seems the Gardai don't take it seriously, but they could. I wouldn't take the risk as it's a mandatory court appearance and 5 points.

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/mandatory_court_appearance.php

Prior to it being added to the penalty point list a couple years ago I believe there was nothing the gardai could do about it. So maybe some of them don't realize yet they can hand out points for it or maybe since they have to court themselves they're more reluctant to hand out points for it than they are for lesser offenses.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

They will follow up. Book it in for as soon as you can and bring proof of it being booked in to the garda station.

• Advertisement

There does seem to be a definite change in policy towards it. You read about NCT related prosecutions alot more often now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭skibum

Drove through Dalkey at about 9.30 tonight, stopped, breathalised, they looked at my disc's, tax and insurance are ok but my NCT is well out, nothing was said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Go fr a cancellation test if you can. Some of the test centres will take you on the spot of you arriv down there early enough. I had booked a test in Little Island but had to ask a friend to bring it in for me as I was busy. He brought it to Blarney, they squeezed it in.
    Also go in with proof of booking, explain to Guard in station that you ahd forgooten about the NCT & booked it once it was brought to yuor attention.

Kona, roadworthiness doesn't only cover technical aspects of the car. It also means having the necessary documentation to have the car on a public road and that includes display of current tax, insurance and NCT disc when required. If you for example try and do a driving test with an expired NCT yoke in the window you'll fail there and then on roadworthiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

If your NCT is out of date, the best thing to do is just take it off your windsheid,

I've been stopped on a few occasions and even though my car is reaching its seventh birthday they never said anything about the NCT. If they don't see its out of date it seems they won't comment on it

I'm NCTing mine this week before you all start throwing stones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Mayshine wrote: »
    If your NCT is out of date, the best thing to do is just take it off your windsheid,

I've been stopped on a few occasions and even though my car is reaching its seventh birthday they never said anything about the NCT. If they don't see its out of date it seems they won't comment on it

I'm NCTing mine this week before you all start throwing stones

I haven't had one on my '98 since I brought it over from UK six years ago. Have had the Tax and Insurance looked at when stopped at check points but no mention of the NCT by any of the Garda.
    I have phoned the local county NCT department a few times and they just told me "We're a bit behind, we'll let you know.".

Now, is it still the case that you wait to be told where and when to get your NCT done or do you sort it out yourself now?

It's your responsibility to get it sorted.

I suspect your details are not in the NCTS database.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Bond-007 wrote: »
    It's your responsibility to get it sorted.

I suspect your details are not in the NCTS database.

Mine was due last July 07, got an appointment for January 08...it was also import.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

I was stopped twice in 2005 in the space of 15 days by two different gardai in two different locations. I was the summoned to court for having no NCT (in 2005). The case went underway in 2006 and I received two fines for my first offence:

a). €250 euro fine for no NCT cert
    b). €200 euro fine for not displaying the NCT cert

Second time, I received a €50 fine.

No previous convictions, penalty points etc etc etc.

Alot of people seem to have the idea that they turn a blind eye to you having no NCT. Frankly put, this is bullshit.

I learned my lesson, the hard way albeit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cowspeak

lordlame wrote: »
    I was stopped twice in 2005 in the space of 15 days by two different gardai in two different locations. I was the summoned to court for having no NCT (in 2005). The case went underway in 2006 and I received two fines for my first offence:

a). €250 euro fine for no NCT cert
    b). €200 euro fine for not displaying the NCT cert

Second time, I received a €50 fine.

No previous convictions, penalty points etc etc etc.

Alot of people seem to have the idea that they turn a blind eye to you having no NCT. Frankly put, this is bullshit.

I learned my lesson, the hard way albeit.

But did you have any reasonable reason why you didn't have the NCT? Was it out for long? Were you just chancing your arm - based on the well estalished rumor that NCTs don't count? (Asking for my own benefit :-) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Bond-007 wrote: »
    OP is likely to be summonsed for no nct and failure to produce nct with 10 days.

I would imagine you will incure a fine, legally some insurance companys dont have to pay out if your car has no NCT cert if you where in a crash or crashed into another car.

I got my NCT a few weeks back, but i just leave the cert in the glove compartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

ahh the easyness of driving a vintage banger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Cowspeak wrote: »
    But did you have any reasonable reason why you didn't have the NCT? Was it out for long? Were you just chancing your arm - based on the well estalished rumor that NCTs don't count? (Asking for my own benefit :-) )

No, I was just being lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

My car is NCT'ed until 12-Feb-08. Since the 02-08 is really big and the 12th is really small on the disc does that mean I'm covered for the entire month of February?

They are supposed to contact you 5-6 weeks before it expires but they never got in touch with me so I booked mine for 17th Feb.

Has anybody had any issue with a really pedantic Guard where the NCT is expired but you could show an appointment letter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭conical

It seems the Gardai don't take it seriously, but they could. I wouldn't take the risk as it's a mandatory court appearance and 5 points.

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/mandatory_court_appearance.php

Prior to it being added to the penalty point list a couple years ago I believe there was nothing the gardai could do about it. So maybe some of them don't realize yet they can hand out points for it or maybe since they have to court themselves they're more reluctant to hand out points for it than they are for lesser offenses.

According to the penaltypoints.ie website
    "Offences highlighted in bold are active penalty point offences."
    Having no NCT cert is not in bold. :confused:

-C

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement