Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing hard drive...

Options
  • 24-01-2008 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭

I might have to wipe a hard drive completely, I mean get rid of operating systems etc... everything that's on it and start from scratch. How do you go about doing that?
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

backup all the files you want to keep and format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

put in the windows xp/vista cd.

boot from the cd when the computer starts up.

follow the on screen instructions and it will bring you to partition.

delete the partition. then create a new one.

that will remove everything on the harddrive thats there at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Alrighty, Im going to go ito more detail and tell you the whole sorded story. I built this computer the other day. Installed xp and had 320gb hard disk space. deleted that xp cos i got my hands on a better version so tried installing that today but it said that the partition had 137gb available and needed to be formatted again, didnt read it properly first time, went and formatted it anyway which i now really regret cos i only have 137gb in total. Where the fcuk did the other 200gb go? I deleted that partition like you advised but i still only got 137gb available. Did i feck up my lovely new hard drive? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

you didnt break it dont worry.
    take it out.

and check if there is a small plastic jumper on it.
    you will see it beside where you plug in the cables into the drive.

its currently set to liimit the drive to 130gb.
    remove it. if you want you can put it into the master position.
    there is a small diagram on the harddrive showing you where to put it.

it will then show 320gb when you turn it back on.

Advertisement