Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advise on a Graphics card

Options
  • 24-01-2008 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I acquired a PC from work that I want to run Vista on, I have had Vista Ultimate already installed on it, It works fine, no issue's at all there, I have a HP D530 small form factor PC with a 185w power supply(I know its feck all), I want to run Aero with it, I have a Nvidia 5200 and under Ultimate it will work fine except on the TV out(It wont play movies on the TV but will on the Monitor when in extended monitor), Aero even worked on the Monitor side, I need a new graphics card cause the 5200 wont cut it for TV out, I was looking at the Nvidia 6200 AGP but something tells me that I wont have enough power to run it, my PC will run a 5200 with a fan no problem so do you think it will run a 6200 or Radeon 9550, is there a way of cutting down its capability to run in low power mode, I only want a basic Vista capable graphics card that must also be capable of TV out, any idea or am i goosed

Any advise is appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

would you concider putting a better power supply in it?

im sure you could pick up a cheapo 300w power supply for under 30 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

I know what your saying but the case is tiny, Im not sure if I could get a power supply that would fit in it, Its a long bar of a PSU and not a block, so if I get a new power supply then I would have to get a new Case, I'm not looking to plough alot of money into this

Here is a picture of the current PSU : link

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

stackeye wrote: »
    I acquired a PC from work that I want to run Vista on, I have had Vista Ultimate already installed on it, It works fine, no issue's at all there, I have a HP D530 small form factor PC with a 185w power supply(I know its feck all), I want to run Aero with it, I have a Nvidia 5200 and under Ultimate it will work fine except on the TV out(It wont play movies on the TV but will on the Monitor when in extended monitor), Aero even worked on the Monitor side, I need a new graphics card cause the 5200 wont cut it for TV out, I was looking at the Nvidia 6200 AGP but something tells me that I wont have enough power to run it, my PC will run a 5200 with a fan no problem so do you think it will run a 6200 or Radeon 9550, is there a way of cutting down its capability to run in low power mode, I only want a basic Vista capable graphics card that must also be capable of TV out, any idea or am i goosed

Any advise is appreciated
    What CPU does it have :O , Also Aeros quite a intensive resource hogging option, I doubht you'd be able to get that rig up to using Aero smoothly, your best bet for GPU is more than likely AGP 6200, which imo mightened be too good with the aero effects... its very low end, 175w PSU is very very low, I dont think much will run on that tbh, no matter how "decent" it is

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

The CPU is a 2.4Ghz, it also has a 1.5 gigs of Ram, I have got Aero to work already on Ultimate(Wont work in home premium) with the 5200 but TV out wont work correctly, I had to use Moddified drivers but they were not good enough for TV support, I'm looking for the bare minimun Vista capable graphics card that doesn't use alot of power, which would be better Nvidia 6200 or Radeon 9550?, I wont be playing any games on this and even Aero is not that important, I just need a GC that support Vista out of the box, I think I might be asking alot

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Actually, that machines gonna run Aero ok :) as it has a good bit of RAM and decent enough CPU if its a pentium/AMD equivelant or higher. Your low power PSU would worry me though, you could get a 6200 (Nvidia dont support the FX 5xxx series cards in Vista but they do the 6xxx series), it should work and will have Vista drivers out there to support it, those video cards use Turbo Cache so they will also at times use your memory for additional graphics processing so it might work out for you ;)

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

6200 should be fine, will work on a 185w, especially considering you won't be doing much with it to stress it. I used to run a 6200 on a 200w, and played games to boot.

Advertisement