Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Starting in 3rd gear!!!

Options
  • 24-01-2008 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Started in 3rd gear accidentally today! Got it rolling alright in traffic before stopping again. If it was a normal start with no traffic I would have definitely stalled it but I was going slow anyway. Didn't notice until it was already rolling and the engine sounded a bit low :D.
    No that's what I call clutch control. Anybody else ever do this, deliberately or accidentally? Any higher gears?:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

j1979p wrote: »
    Started in 3rd gear accidentally today! Got it rolling alright in traffic before stopping again. If it was a normal start with no traffic I would have definitely stalled it but I was going slow anyway. Didn't notice until it was already rolling and the engine sounded a bit low :D.
    No that's what I call clutch control. Anybody else ever do this, deliberately or accidentally? Any higher gears?:eek:

My aunt - who is still on a provisonal after driving every day for 5 years..often starts in fifth..how, I dont know:confused:...bad bad driver.

She nearly goes thru the windscreen every time :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I often go into 5th instead of 3rd while driving, it's usually obvious because the car goes really sluggish. I switch down to 3rd and off we go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

I actually did that today, left my house was thinking the car feels a bit off.... then stopped to ring someone at the end of my estate, realised I was in 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

It can happen easy enough, especially if you're are like me and tend to stop in 3rd forgetting to engage 1st when you take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I would select 3rd gear for moving off in snow or very frosty conditions.

Vehicles with huge torque, e.g tractors, can go in almost any gear. In Top Gear, a few years ago, Clarkson demonstrated the torque of an Aston Martin (DB9?) by starting in 4th and accelerating all the way up to 140mph in the same gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Ever shift from 4th to 1st by accident? Dude...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Used to start in third every so often, forget to change down at lights, and generally always got away with it.

Even managed to start in forth once though it wasn't pretty and i changed down fairly quick.

obl wrote: »

Not quite, 5th to 2nd at about 70kph though. Was an experiance I never hope to repeat!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

I would have thought that would be common enough considering all the people who downshift from 4th to 3rd. 1st is not too far from 3rd!!!
    Having said that, never happened to me. Although it was bad enough going from 2nd to 1st when I was learning and thought that 7km/h was too slow for 2nd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Not quite, 5th to 2nd at about 70kph though. Wass an experiance I never hope to repeat!
    Yep I've done that as well, at about 55mph. Had music on really loudly as well so I didn't hear the racket the engine was making for a few seconds. Fun times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

That's possible? My car won't let you put it into 1st if it's moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Holsten wrote: »
    That's possible? My car won't let you put it into 1st if it's moving.

Not all of us have cars with on-board computers/technology from post-1976...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

During one of my early lessons I stopped at a red light in 4th gear. I was nattering away to my instructor and when the light went green I drove on having forgot to go back into first, Doh :D

Ah, nothing like the shakes to wake you up on a Monday morning!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Good thing there was no pedestrian in front of you at the time, the car could have jolted forwards and hit them. Always check if you've left the car in gear/what gear you are in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Used to start in third every so often, forget to change down at lights, and generally always got away with it.
    The only way you could do that is if you sat with your foot on the clutch for the duration of the lights, I suppose you had the other foot on the brake all the time too. Please tell me this hasn't become normal driving practice.

Whatever happened to putting the car in neutral and applying the handbrake at traffic lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

I would select 3rd gear for moving off in snow or very frosty conditions.

Vehicles with huge torque, e.g tractors, can go in almost any gear. In Top Gear, a few years ago, Clarkson demonstrated the torque of an Aston Martin (DB9?) by starting in 4th and accelerating all the way up to 140mph in the same gear.

A few weeks ago he was in a Corvette Z06 . He showed how the car's enormously powerful engine lets it go from 0-175 mph in 5th gear. I found that impressive. I sometimes take off in second or third for the hell of it. Not great for the clutch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Hagar wrote: »
    The only way you could do that is if you sat with your foot on the clutch for the duration of the lights, I suppose you had the other foot on the brake all the time too. Please tell me this hasn't become normal driving practice.

Whatever happened to putting the car in neutral and applying the handbrake at traffic lights?
    Exactly, you should ALWAYS apply handbrake & neutral at red traffic lights.

Only ever use handbrake when stopped on a hill or when I know it will be a long set of lights. Do exactly as you described above, just like the majority of people on the road.

It takes to long to put the car in gear and release the handbrake when moving off, and there is nothing illegal or "wrong" about it.
    SeanW wrote: »

Where does it say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

SeanW wrote: »

Now that is just plain wrong... change ALWAYS to SOMETIMES and you'd be correct.

• Advertisement

Only ever use handbrake when stopped on a hill or when I know it will be a long set of lights. Do exactly as you described above, just like the majority of people on the road.

It takes to long to put the car in gear and release the handbrake when moving off, and there is nothing illegal or "wrong" about it.

Where does it say that?
    How do you know what the majority do? How many miles do you get to a clutch?
    kodute wrote: »
    Now that is just plain wrong... change ALWAYS to SOMETIMES and you'd be correct.
    Please explain.

Did both you guys do this during your driving tests? By that I mean one that you passed.

Changing into 1st gear and taking off the handbrake takes about 1.5 seconds... not a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

I used handbrake+neutral at all times waiting for traffic lights (have done this consistently since I changed instructors), passed yestarday doing this consistently (earning only one Blue fault along the way) having waited at 3 reds.

As such, I feel that it's best practice to always use handbrake+neutral. The only time I would consider not doing that is if I had a strong expectation that the light is due to change within two seconds of my coming to a complete stop. Even then it would be very unlikely.

How do you know what the majority do? How many miles do you get to a clutch?

Please explain.

In a line of traffic most cars will have the brake lights on, can imply from that that they are not using handbrake. Also see many roll back on start or not "sit-down" just before pulling off indicating handbrake being used, really only noticable on hills.

How is that going to damage my clutch? Its not like its partially engaged or anything.
    Did both you guys do this during your driving tests? By that I mean one that you passed.

Passed my test, and did the whole stop with brakes and leave it in first during the test also. It's not an issue unless you are on a hill. ( Didn't do it every time I stopped, only when it was appropriate, i.e. on flat ground or downhill slope.)

Do you think that everyone with brake lights on is sitting with the car in gear and the clutch depressed?

You are not supposed to roll-back on starting, it demonstrates very poor control of the vehicle.

Ask any mechanic about sitting with the clutch depressed and see what he says.

We hold opposite viewpoints, I don't think either of us is about to be convinced, so in the interests of harmony I'm bowing out.

Do you think that everyone with brake lights on is sitting with the car in gear and the clutch depressed?

No not everyone but a reasonable amount of them. Or brakes and car in neutral.
    You are not supposed to roll-back on starting, it demonstrates very poor control of the vehicle.

I know this and try to avoid it, hence i use the handbrake when needed but not all the time. And I make sure I leave extra distance to someone in front of me on a hill if they are stopped with thier brake lights on just in case.
    Ask any mechanic about sitting with the clutch depressed and see what he says.

I'll admit i don't know too much about the mechanics of it, but would the only addintional wear not be on the springs(or whatever device) moves the clutch plates apart.

I used to use the handbrake and neutral at every stop point when I was first learning to drive but a combination of both my parent and 2 instructores telling me it was unnessicary and driving an automatic every so often has led me to stop doing it.
    We hold opposite viewpoints, I don't think either of us is about to be convinced, so in the interests of harmony I'm bowing out.

I can of course see the merits of using the handbrake all the time, especially if you are just learning to drive but I feel that it is mearly task that can make driving more difficult long term and that a lot of people will discard this approach as they drive more. Similar to the push-pull method of steering, its something everyone does at the start but a lot stop doing once they've passed a test

I'll admit i don't know too much about the mechanics of it, but would the only addintional wear not be on the springs(or whatever device) moves the clutch plates apart.

To follow on from this which causes more wear?

Changing down from third to nuetral while coming to a halt and then back into first again when moving? --> Clutch down, and back to change to neutral from third and again from neutral to first (4 movements)

Or changing from third direct to first, 2 clutch movements?

Please explain.

Of course I passed! :cool:

Its very simple really, some situations you will not need to handbrake and neutral, some situations you will and some situations it would slow the progress of traffic if you were to handbrake and neutral.

My instructor advised me to handbrake and neutral when you are third or more back in the queue at traffic lights. If you handbrake and neutral when at the top of the queue you will be slower taking off, whereas when farther back you can see the top of the queue moving and have more time to engage gear.

Also (foot) brake and neutral is not a good idea IMHO. Either maintain a reasonable tension with the clutch biting point which will hold the car in the event you take your foot off the brake or else handbrake!

driving an automatic every so often has led me to stop doing it.

You drive an automatic and tell us about clutch control?! On yer bike! ;):D

• Advertisement

kodute wrote: »
    You drive an automatic and tell us about clutch control?! On yer bike! ;):D

Sometimes, drive a manual daily. read the post

Advertisement