Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Starting in 3rd gear!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

This is a pet hate of mine, my mum always leaves it in gear at lights, even uphill ones. A good few times I've noticed her not using the brake but slipping the clutch and reving the engine to stop the car going back for 10sec or more on uphills! Needless to say you could smell the clutch burning like crazy. She goes through clutchs about every 40-50kmiles:eek:, but it doesnt matter what I say to her, she keeps doing it.

When at lights, dont leave her in gear, as well as wrecking your clutch you'll get a cramp in your right leg!

Going back on the topic(slightly), the only time I ever start in 3rd gear is when I'm on the motocross bike on the startline of a race:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Sometimes, drive a manual daily. read the post

Only kidding mate, hence this little fella: :D
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Timmaay wrote: »
    When at lights, dont leave her in gear, as well as wrecking your clutch you'll get a cramp in your right leg!

I am doing my best to do this, but don't ask about my coasting... for some reason I if I am slowing down a lot, I am scared the car will shake if I don't clutch, even though it doesn't unless I was in a low gear to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

Youre supposed to put the handbrake on every single time you come to a stop that you think would be more than 5ish seconds.

Its for saftey, if someone hits the back of your car while you are sitting there, with the clutch in, and your foot on the brake. You will roll forward, maybe into a busy junction.

It does not take long to change, with practice it takes about the same amount of time, you just have to get ready.

See the other cars on the road stop and you might get the go? see a big gap in the traffic coming up? clutch in, into first, easy on the accelerator, hand on the handbrake, and as the gap comes up, handbrake down (must take the same amount of time as lifting your foot off the brake) and more power on.

The only time it takes more time is when you are putting your makeup on, or reading the newspaper, and you just have not anticipated the change in lights or the gap in traffic. Its all about anticipation.

The only trouble is, although always starting in the right gear, and never in 3rd or 4th unless you choose it, you sometimes might drive off with the handbrake on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

You could start a .5 litre in 5th gear if you want to ride your clutch and bust a piston.

You could probably start a 40ton truck in 16gear with the right power to weight ratio.

Doesnt make it a good idea.....or a new discovery in physics...or motoring...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

To follow on from this which causes more wear?

Changing down from third to nuetral while coming to a halt and then back into first again when moving? --> Clutch down, and back to change to neutral from third and again from neutral to first (4 movements)

Or changing from third direct to first, 2 clutch movements?

Sitting on the clutch will cause more wear, as there is a spinning shaft in the transmission that is manipulated, and if you have the clutch depressed, there is increased friction against a piece holding this shaft, whereas if it is in neutral, this friction is removed.

The wear and tear on a clutch is not incurred simply in each motion of the pedal, but rather when the pedal is depressed, so 6 motions (whatever reason you would be making six motions for!) with a total time of the clutch being down for about 3 secs is far less wear and tear than 5-10 secs of the clutch being constantly depressed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Not quite, 5th to 2nd at about 70kph though. Was an experiance I never hope to repeat!

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv choke

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

cython wrote: »
    Sitting on the clutch will cause more wear, as there is a spinning shaft in the transmission that is manipulated, and if you have the clutch depressed, there is increased friction against a piece holding this shaft, whereas if it is in neutral, this friction is removed.

The wear and tear on a clutch is not incurred simply in each motion of the pedal, but rather when the pedal is depressed, so 6 motions (whatever reason you would be making six motions for!) with a total time of the clutch being down for about 3 secs is far less wear and tear than 5-10 secs of the clutch being constantly depressed

I see. Where'd you get 6 from?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

cance wrote: »
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv choke

:D:D:D

Advertisement