Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[TalkTalk] Internet Setup Question

Options
  • 24-01-2008 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

My brother just got the internet in from talk talk. Its through the phone line. Problem is the pc is upstairs and phone line is downstairs. I not to well up on internet connection. Will i wireless router save using the cable up the stairs. Also any suggestions on which wireless router to use.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

Netgear routers seem to be pretty decent.

Buy a Netgear Modem Router and Netgear wireless usb adaptor, either you can move your computer nearer the phone line for setup or use a long Ethernet cable to connect to your computer upstairs.
    Set up using the Ethernet cable connected to the Modem Router. When you're done you can disconnect the cable and install the wireless usb adaptor on your PC.
    That's it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pockettens

So i need to run a cable up the stairs no matter what. Its a three storey house.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

You can set up your connection by initially bringing the PC downstairs using the shorter cable that you'll get with the Modem Router.
    You'll only need the Ethernet cable for the set up the first time - once you're done you can bring the PC back upstairs and connect using the wireless adapter.
    It would be a lot easier to buy a long Ethernet cable.
    I bought one in a little internet cafe in Rathmines - 20 metres for less than €20...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pockettens

would 20 meters be enough for a three storey house.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

probably the easiest option for you (to save lugging a pc up & down 3 flights ) is to:

bring the modem/router to the pc
    connect with ethernet
    manually configure the modem / router via a web browser, forget using the cd - this usually means accessing an IP address along the lines of 192.168.0.1 (check the manual for address & login details)

the normal settings you prob need are:

encapsulation: PPPoE
    multiplexing: LLC
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    username : given by talk talk
    password : ditto

then set up the wireless settings (if wifi) and config the wifi conn on the pc

move the modem / router down to your phone socket & connect via a microfilter

as for a router suggestion - I use a Netgear DG834G
    usually comes in a kit with a WG111 usb adapter (DGB111G)
    however, with 3 stories to cover you might be better going for one of the 'N' range routers
    *if it's not a wireless router then you'll need the long ethernet or else bring the pc downstairs

• Advertisement
Advertisement