Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Wireless Router

Options
  • 24-01-2008 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

I am having trouble with my NTL broadband - it keeps cutting off after 3-4 minutes. Contacted NTL by phone ( answered after 2 Hours) who asked me to perform a few instructions they guided me through over the phone, did not work, so they told me it was useless sending an engineer out as the problem was the router and that I probably would need a new one. They gave me the name of the firm that supplied the router to NTL and told me to contact them. As my contract is with NTL, I feel it is a problem which they should rectify. Any comments?

Thanks
    AleoN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

AleoN wrote: »
    As my contract is with NTL, I feel it is a problem which they should rectify. Any comments?

Thanks
    AleoN

I think if you paid them for the router they should support it.

What is dropping the connection between the PC/laptop and the router? can you try to ger closer to the router? Can you select the speed of the connection in the software for the WIFI card in the PC/laptop lower it or set it 54mb or to auto, also maybe connect directly to the router by cable and do a firmware upgrade.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fozz

Aleon, the best approach here is to get a cable and connect yer PC to the router with the cable and test that config for a day or two. This will tell you if the issue is with the WiFi or the router/connection out. If the connection still drops with the cable then the issue is the router and u may indeed need a nw one. More likely the issue is just with the wifi and in that case you can just change the channel (it should be somewhere in the router config) that the wifi is using. Use trial and eror to see whic channel works the best. Also go get the latest driver for your wifi card in your PC. Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I'd second what fozz is saying.

Have one of the netgear routers from ntl myself. I presume you're using a wireless connection to connect to the router? If the WiFi signal is in any way weak or has a lot of interference (other WiFi routers operating on the same channel around your house) then the router often reboots itself, dropping the WiFi and Ethernet connections for a few seconds. It isn't always easy to tell if the signal is weak - your laptop signal monitor may show an "Excellent" signal from the router to it, but the signal from your laptop back to your router may be swamped with noise and interference by the time it reaches the router. Very few basic routers have any way of showing the signal being received by the router.

Try updating the firmware on the router first of all. The latest Netgear's often allow you to check for updated firmware every time you log into www.routerlogin.com, the router's config page. It does this through the router itself so there is no real need to using a wired connection to do this. IIRC there was a firmware update about a month or two back.

Also, most laptop WiFi cards have a "Site Monitor" function which basically shows you every WiFi point your WiFi card can pick up, and the channel each one operates on (a number between 1 and 13). Try and set your own router's channel to one that is as far away as possible from any other channel.

Hope this helps!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

moving from broadband to wireless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jaza

nava wrote: »
    I think if you paid them for the router they should support it.

What is dropping the connection between the PC/laptop and the router? can you try to ger closer to the router? Can you select the speed of the connection in the software for the WIFI card in the PC/laptop lower it or set it 54mb or to auto, also maybe connect directly to the router by cable and do a firmware upgrade.

Regards
    i think ntl are a great service and nowhere does it state in there contract that they service the router . they do say they service the broadband which comes through the modem. if you bought the router in pc world would you bring it to them to service cuz they will only say ring the trouble shooting line that "NETGEAR" have to fix those paticular problems. i spoke with one agent he said they cannot get the license off netgear to service the routers and have btried because they are tired of customers giving out to them for something that is out of there hands. your issue here is with netgear lads not the isp because im sure the broadband is working perfect . remember if the online light is on the modem the broadband is working

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fordey

I have net gear with Chorus/NTL and I could never get it to work with GTA. To make things even worse I tried to set up my computer on it and it wouldnt work and now my PS3 wont connect at all to the net. I am crap with computers and I spoke to NTL who were unhelpful as usual. If anyone knows what to do I would really appreciate it but as I said I would need a step by step guide to get it working online with PS3 as Im crap with techy stuff!!

Thanks!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Re-run the setup utility and make sure you do ***NOT*** set the broadband modem as DHCP (i.e. that it will assign a random IP addresses) and then the router itself will act as a DHCP server (randomly dishing out IP addresses to devices connected to it). I've a PS3 and a load of other devices (including 2 Nabaztag bunnies) quite happily connected on a Netgear "N" router on the NTL/UPC cable connection like this.......

Not sure why disabling DHCP works- but it just seems to? Maybe someone has some explanation......

Ps- the security on it is incredibly poor too- I cannot manage to get the WPA2 working for some reason (though it says it is?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NINJOO

jaza wrote: »
    i think ntl are a great service and nowhere does it state in there contract that they service the router . they do say they service the broadband which comes through the modem. if you bought the router in pc world would you bring it to them to service cuz they will only say ring the trouble shooting line that "NETGEAR" have to fix those paticular problems. i spoke with one agent he said they cannot get the license off netgear to service the routers and have btried because they are tired of customers giving out to them for something that is out of there hands. your issue here is with netgear lads not the isp because im sure the broadband is working perfect . remember if the online light is on the modem the broadband is working

thats not entirely true
    my sister works for ntl/chorus or upc as they call themselves these days, what you were told about a license to service routers is bull, the issue is this, when you sign up you get a free wireless router as a gift. the problem with this is that this gift is made by netgear, which look nice but brake on everyone, and thats a promise. so while ntl will do everything they can to help related to the actual broad band service(as this is the service you are actually paying them for), you will have to contact netgear with router issues.

FORDEY: regarding your inability to connect you playstation, ALL ISPs pretty much only support a broad band connection for use with personal computers, anybody thats tries to connect games consoles are pretty much left to it, as the onus would be on you as to figure out how to get it working, best place to start would be to call sony playstation customer support

• Registered Users Posts: 41 d-a-s-h

good to see others are having problems with this. The new modem/routers that they supply are now made by Cisco and am having terrible trouble with the connection constantly timing out. Planning on connecting the laptop via a wire now for the new couple of days to see if that helps and if not I'm not going to bother asking ntl for help again (all I ever get is that they are switching channels), and am just gonna head out to Pc world and pick up a decent cable router myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In all fairness- the new Cisco router is as good as you're going to get- if you configure it properly, you'd be hard pressed to find a more rock solid piece of kit. The settings for prioritising VOIP and other traffic types, make this an excellent device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 d-a-s-h

any idea where I'd go to find a manual or something for it?
    I guess I just need to start tinkering around in the settings to try and get it working then :(

Advertisement