Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take-Aways in Limerick

Options
  • 24-01-2008 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

Inspired by the restaurant thread.

Have to say my favourite right now is Remix in Castletroy (near Groody) - they do truly godly doner kebabs with naan bread instead of the usual, i.e. they are MASSIVE. They do several other types of kebab and I think they do the usual chinese stuff too.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't bother with takeaways that much myself but when I do the odd time I must say Fuscos in Garryowen do a great fish n chip. For pizza I find Apache good value.

Where is that Remix place exactly I must give it a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

id have to recommend cedar house.
    They do great pizza,great kebabs,whole chickens..the lot.
    They are very cheap.
    Family size pizza with 4 toppings,side order and 4 cans of coke is like 16 euro.(delivery included)
    Theres also that chipper beside grove island leisure centre,food is great there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

bazz26 wrote: »
    Don't bother with takeaways that much myself but when I do the odd time I must say Fuscos in Garryowen do a great fish n chip. For pizza I find Apache good value.
    Yeah forgot about those two places. Anyone tried the pizzas in that new place where the Lobster Pot was actually?
    Where is that Remix place exactly I must give it a try?
    here - I'm surprised no one's added it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

jackncoke wrote: »
    They are very cheap.
    Family size pizza with 4 toppings,side order and 4 cans of coke is like 16 euro.(delivery included)

Wow, that sounds good. Where is this cedar house?? and do they deliver do ya know?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

lobster pot!!! even though they tried to set up a pizza place beside the best pizza place in the city, they still do a mean battered sausage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

They are very cheap.
    cedar house sounds great!

yeah the grove island chipper aint bad, if a little slow.

the chinese two doors up from it, the bamboo gardens, is great too, rice is top notch, sauces are great, and decent size portions.

yah man,they deliver,my apologies,its only 3 cans of coke.
    The food is ace,i forgot the name of the street its on,u gotta go for it.
    Anyone i know who tried it is an addict now!

yah man,they deliver,my apologies,its only 3 cans of coke.
    The food is ace,i forgot the name of the street its on,u gotta go for it.
    Anyone i know who tried it is an addict now!

Actually, my apologies, you said in your original post that delivery was included, just wasn't listening!! but is it in the central city area? where is it near? any landmarks or well known shops, pubs etc? Thanks in advance.

just came to me there,its on broad street.
    Their number is 061 409455.
    Their family meal deal is ace or their mediterranean deal is good aswell.
    Just ask them basically

just came to me there,its on broad street.
    Their number is 061 409455.
    Their family meal deal is ace or their mediterranean deal is good aswell.
    Just ask them basically

Thanks jackncoke, certainly will give em a try!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Wokking is the nicest chinese takeaway in Limerick
    Although if you want a nice curry head to Chinese Palace at the Roxboro SC

Indira by Punches X is the nicest indian!!!

Oh and for Fish and Chips try Fuscos, Enzos or Luigis! All lovely!

all of a sudden,i am so hungry.

all of a sudden,i am so hungry.

F**k it, I think i'll ring for a family deal pizza, i' on me 5th glass of claret, the only thing is i'm a bit out of town, i hope tey deliver out my way! I have no prob in gining the delivery guy a good tip. He'll have to travel bout 5 miles?!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Best Chipper is Slattery's. Both in Ballycummin and on the Father Russell Road.

All others are fighting for the runners up slot. :D

Kess73 wrote: »
    Best Chipper is Slattery's. Both in Ballycummin and on the Father Russell Road.

All others are fighting for the runners up slot. :D

Actually kess73, I will agree totally. Beautifull fresh cod, loads of chips, good fast friendly service, They are hard to beat.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

Many good entries here but I guess it comes down to what do you like in a take-away. For simple fish & chips (or even a battered sausage & chips) I'd have to suggest either Donkey Fords (not as good as it used to be but still a lovely chip to be had in there) off Johns Sq, the Golden Grill (which also does a lovely sit down all day breakfast - guaranteed stroke/heart attack if you have too many in a week but oh so delicious all the same) on William St (at the busstop for buses out to Castletroy) or there's one out near Moyross (can't think of the name of it now) that's really quite nice and reasonably priced.

But not everyone like a greasy spoon. For ethnic food, we have the Wokking (Chinese) on O Connell St, The Mogul Emperor (Indian) at the top of Henry St (near Benneton) or (and again my memory fails me) there's a quite nice Iranian kebab shop up near the Cornmarket (which btw sells the cheapest pitchers of cocktail in Limerick - €10 a jug (RD supports responsible drinking) :))

For pizza, Apache on Henry St is really nice but I have to say I much prefer the Dominos up near Steamboat Quay. Two pizzas, chicken combo and a bottle of Coke for €20!! Delish :D

-RD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What is wrong with you lot?

Nearly a full page of posts and only one person has mentioned Donkey Fordes, im fúckin ashamed!!!!

Oh and the Yellow Road Chipper is lovely aswell

Melion wrote: »

Nearly a full page of posts and only one person has mentioned Donkey Fordes, im fúckin ashamed!!!!
    Donkey's has fed me well over the years,but the quality of service and food can vary over the week.
    Had one last week and the portion of chips was miniscule.And when its busy u can be queuing for bloody ages.Still tho,it feeds half of limerick city

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Melion wrote: »

Oh and the Yellow Road Chipper is lovely aswell

And Luigi's on Parnell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Yeah Donkeys is nowhere near as good as it used to be. Luigis and Slatterys are much better IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭whatsgoinon

oh luigis!!! :D my dad used to take me there after my visit to the orthodontist, to somehow make up for having braces or something, I don't know, anyway anyone who has ever had braces and has had them tightened knows how hard it is to eat without wincing at every bite, i didn't care though, as I grazed through my mushy peas, chips and whatever other food I had randomly stabbed on the menu with my finger, oh delish man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

i dont understand how people can reccomend the wokking. Its absolutely awful, very little vegetables, stringy beef, and the seafood tastes like tesco value crabsticks!

Chippers?? Luigis and yellow road (curry burger!!!) top my list. The one out near myross is freda's i think. Lovely chips and burgers, but their batter is a tad chewey!! They do breakfasts there aswell, never had one but i've seen it on the menu.

PJ's in thomondgate is nice too i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Donkey's is great coz they still use lard for cooking.

Love Stix and their seasoning and a great quarter and half pounder.

Turkuaz in the cornmarket Do a fantastic kebab.

Gotta agree about the yellow road great battered sausages

Chinese wise it has to be Dim Sum or the Pagoda in Corbally for me. Find the wokking to be no where near as good and always feel the food is full of MSG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The Galvone chipper is the best in the city, bar none:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

apache for pizza (taco chip is the biz)(cant stand dominos)
    dim sum for chinese(only found this recently...woking gone to the dogs caherdavin and city ones)
    luigis for chipper (donkeys gone down hill too)
    Indian - Indira in Ballinacura..savage

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Indian - Copper and Spice near the market.

Chipper - PJ Place (Thomondgate) or Parnell Grill

Chinese - Shamrock (Ennis Rd.) or the Pagoda (Corbally)

Fine food served in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Cheapest and best pizza place in Castletroy or surrounds? I know of Dominoes but find them very expensive, other than that im kinda stumped. Could people enlighten me, maybe with prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Pizza Hut opened in Newtown recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Gotta agree with Sioda about Turkuaz, very fresh tasting alright. Kebabish on Ellen Street do a mean shwarma too, a bit spicier though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Mackleton wrote: »
    Cheapest and best pizza place in Castletroy or surrounds? I know of Dominoes but find them very expensive, other than that im kinda stumped. Could people enlighten me, maybe with prices?
    Apache are cheap, but in town (Henry St.).

Only others I can think of are Four Star (near Punches Cross), Papa John's (near the regional - anyone tried them), another Domino's in town and Pizza Hut in Raheen.

Advertisement