Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Usb1 to Usb2-- not working

Options
  • 24-01-2008 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

just a quick one guys, my dad has a dell GX240 small form factor, now its a grand pc for him but he got an external DVDRW drive and then found out he only has USB1, so i got him a USB2 card but when i instal it it still seems to only function at usb1 speeds, now is this because of a driver issue or is it that a USB1 mobo cant run at USB2 speeds even if it has a usb2 card?

Thanks in adavnce guys

Projectgtr

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

what mobo is it? did the usb card come with a driver cd? what version of windows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

projectgtr wrote: »
    just a quick one guys, my dad has a dell GX240 small form factor, now its a grand pc for him but he got an external DVDRW drive and then found out he only has USB1, so i got him a USB2 card but when i instal it it still seems to only function at usb1 speeds, now is this because of a driver issue or is it that a USB1 mobo cant run at USB2 speeds even if it has a usb2 card?

Thanks in adavnce guys

Projectgtr

Yeah a bit more info please. Also that dtireland link in your sig dosent work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Anti wrote: »
    Also that dtireland link in your sig dosent work.

That's because he has one .com too many :rolleyes:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Does your dad have Windows xp service pack 2 (I'm persuming hes running XP, sorry), I think SP2 brought out USB2.0 spec enhancements, updating mite be worth a shot, also if there are any drivers for the pci card, try install them as RoyalMarineComm suggested, although windows should pick up its usb 2.0 straight away as those cards all come with USB controllers on them...

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

That's because he has one .com too many :rolleyes:

-

Hehe. I didnt cop that. DOH !:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

thanks guys
    its a dell gx240 running XP SP2, thats what has me baffled as you said i thought the driver would auto load, though ive just read through some stuff that came with the card it gives a url for the driver ill try install it, but i have my doubts if that will work.

Thanks for the heads-up on the link ill fix it now

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

projectgtr wrote: »
    thanks guys
    its a dell gx240 running XP SP2, thats what has me baffled as you said i thought the driver would auto load, though ive just read through some stuff that came with the card it gives a url for the driver ill try install it, but i have my doubts if that will work.

Thanks for the heads-up on the link ill fix it now
    Try downloading the driver from the URL and see, it may need it :D

Nick

Advertisement