Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early teething....anything to help?

Options
  • 24-01-2008 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

One of our two boys has just started teething. He is 12 weeks old (was 5 weeks premature also so adjusted age is only 7 weeks). He is inconsolable at the moment other than shoving one of our fingers in his mouth to let him suck on.

Does anyone know of any products available to help comfort him at his age? Most things available such as teegel and bonjela are for 4 months plus.

He is already on calpol/nurofen every so often for an ear infection (recommended by gp) but don't want to be plying him with these drugs if there is another option.

Any advice/suggestions more than welcome as there is a sever lack of sleep in the house at the moment. He tends to wake his twin brother when he gets upset at night and then that is generally it for the night...everyone is up for hours :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I found teetha granuals amazing for early teething, just pop the contents of the little sachet into the babs mouth and hey presto, happy baby. You can get them in boots, probably other chemists too, and I believe they're an all natural remedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Thanks Shelli. The guy in the chemists tonight actually gave me a packet of them and said they might work. Tried one and he is settled now but not 100% sure if he has just cried himself out or if they worked. Will try them again when he needs it and see. Hope they work though like they did for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Another vote for teetha here.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

+1 for teetha. Very effective at the early stage, not as much so later on, but by then you can use bonjela.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Most of the teething gels are as effective as each other overall. it's just a case of trial and error to see which one your nipper likes.

But are you really sure he's teething? It's pretty early, although not impossible. Could he be colicky? has he been seen by your GP for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Yeah Teetha is the way to go. All homeopathic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Teetha is the way to go. always be the first thing to go to, rather than hitting for the nurofen every time.
    and nurofen beats calpol every time....:)

queen-mise wrote: »
    Teetha is the way to go. always be the first thing to go to, rather than hitting for the nurofen every time.
    and nurofen beats calpol every time....:)

Ask your doc about using nurofen, it's banned in alot of countries now as it is very hard on babies livers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

killwill wrote: »
    Ask your doc about using nurofen, it's banned in alot of countries now as it is very hard on babies livers

slightly off topic but do you have evidence to back this up?

slightly off topic but do you have evidence to back this up?

My partner is Canadian and back home she had heard of this so when our chemist recommended it she checked it up. I will try find the medical journal she found it on. Our South African doctor told us the same too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I've not heard of the above re nurofen being banned. It's commonly used anywhere I've worked. Well, the kiddy version is. Obviously you should only use the kiddy formulation on kids.

But nurofen shoudn't be used in kiddies under 3 months without instruction from a doc, and there are pretty good instructions on the bottle which shoudl always be followed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Are you sure he's teething? I thought my first was teething at 3 months and she didn't get her first tooth til she was 1! She had reflux and with hindsight I figured out she was ramming her fingers in her mouth to try to take the reflux pain out.
    If he has an ear infection maybe he also has a sore throat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

littlebug wrote: »
    Are you sure he's teething? I thought my first was teething at 3 months and she didn't get her first tooth til she was 1! She had reflux and with hindsight I figured out she was ramming her fingers in her mouth to try to take the reflux pain out.
    If he has an ear infection maybe he also has a sore throat?

Yeah we are not 100% sure about the teething to be honest and beginning to think it may be something else now. He does suffer from reflux also which as you say may be a factor. So currently he has reflux, ear infection, just getting over a cold and has diarrhea from the anti-biotics for the ear infection. Needless to say he is not a happy little baby at the moment. The whole fingers in mouth thing is a new development and extra saliva being produced also started at same time. Maybe something else entirely as you say but until he can tell us what is up, it is pretty much all guess work.

The doctor isn't exactly much help either as she doesn't get to see him when he is upset obviously so for now we are working on the assumption that it will all clear up when the ear infection goes away which should be any day now.

As for it being colic...well isn't colic just a catch-all name used when people don't know what the actual problem is? I.E. could be wind, could be upset stomach, could be ear infection, could be any other of the multiple issues that can upset a baby.

Advertisement