Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mitsubishi Lancer

Options
  • 24-01-2008 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Thinking of buying one of these, anyone have any comments on them.. good or bad..

Would like some info on their reliability, how does the clutch hold out, handling etc.. I dont know anyone who has had one..

Any horror stories...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are lots of different generations of Lancer over the years, what year/model are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

1.3 Petrol.. with evo bodykit... 1998

( Cant afford a proper evo :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dhev

About three years ago, i had a white 99 1.3ltr Mitsubishi lancer. I put the full
    evo 5 kit ( Wide Arches and all ) on it. I also put white 16 inch Oz racing wheels on it with spacers to push the wheels out, due to the wide arches. along with a 4 inch back box and induction kit.
    The car looked the dogs ballo%ks, like the real thing, but wouldn't pull ya out of bed. Overtaking anything was dangerous. Put foot down and nothing happens.
    The car was nippy enough before i put all this stuff on, but there is serious weight in all these extras. There wasn't much left in the clutch either.
    My advice is, don't bother. But it's your choice. Live & learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

98 Mitsu Lancer? Just try not to crash it:D

A coke can is safer in a crash

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/mitsubishi_lancer_1998/38.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

also a 1.3 with an evo kit is likely to have the stones driven out of it. check the drivetrain and make sure the car isn't bent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

colm_mcm wrote: »
    make sure the car isn't bent.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

JHMEG wrote: »
    :eek:

yeah, see how it acts around other Lancers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

In fairness it's like the 1.3 EG Civics... you can try drive the stones out of them, but you can't really..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

colm_mcm wrote: »
    yeah, see how it acts around other Lancers.

Roffle!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Orange69 wrote: »

Then buy the cheapest most frugal thing you can find, put all your pennies in the bank and wait until you can afford the real thing.

They are hardly the best looking car around, the only good reason to have one is the joy of driving something purpose built for haring around backroads.

Any fun you can get in driving a tarted-up 1980s saloon with a weedy engine weighed down by 1/2 a tonne of crap bolted to it will soon fade when you can't beat a granny in a micra off the line at traffic lights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Don't put the Evo body kit on it. Anyone who knows what an Evo is will know yours is a fake and think you're a plonker. Anyone who doesn't know what an Evo is will think you're a boy-racer muppet with a stupid looking car and think you're a plonker. It's a loose-loose situation!
    The lancer is reliable alright, that 1.3 is reliable, but in the colt it's dead, so I'd say in a lancer it's painful.
    Get a civic saloon. Understated, reliable, would pull a lancer backwards up a hill, can be picked up cheaply, and save the pennies till you can afford a real Evo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Orange69 wrote: »

A makebelievevo.......a term that always makes me laugh

Advertisement