Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bmx Dirt Jumps!

Options
  • 24-01-2008 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

tell the dun laoghaire/rathdown county council to build dirt jumps somewhere or at least give us a spot to build them!?
    ALSO does anyone know any good spots we could build them???????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭crazeehorse

goats park in dalkey?
    killiney hill
    there are allready jumps on mullins hill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I don't mean any offence here or to have a rant at anyone but it's not a very bright thing to be advertising where there are dirt jumps unless you've built them yourself and don't care about alot of random people reading about them on the internet and going to check them out, then telling their friends, them telling their friends and it becoming a hang-out spot for non bike riders/kids drinking and generally wrecking the jumps and bringing unnecessary attention to them that they will probably end up getting them demolished.

People put hard work, time and effort into building jumps. Don't let them get wrecked by idiots is all I'm saying. If you spent weeks/months during the winter digging and somebody posted about them on the internet and the following week you went down to your jumps and found a load of rat kids there running all over the lips and landing, flattening them out, tons of rubbish, beer cans and bonfires that have basically destroyed all your hard work, you'd be pretty fu{king p!ssed off at them.

Also show some respect at jumps by being prepared to dig a bit before you ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ChristIsMurph

pete4130 wrote: »
    I don't mean any offence here or to have a rant at anyone but it's not a very bright thing to be advertising where there are dirt jumps unless you've built them yourself and don't care about alot of random people reading about them on the internet and going to check them out, then telling their friends, them telling their friends and it becoming a hang-out spot for non bike riders/kids drinking and generally wrecking the jumps and bringing unnecessary attention to them that they will probably end up getting them demolished.

People put hard work, time and effort into building jumps. Don't let them get wrecked by idiots is all I'm saying. If you spent weeks/months during the winter digging and somebody posted about them on the internet and the following week you went down to your jumps and found a load of rat kids there running all over the lips and landing, flattening them out, tons of rubbish, beer cans and bonfires that have basically destroyed all your hard work, you'd be pretty fu{king p!ssed off at them.

hear hear! to many people disrespect all spots! even street spots! which are becomin harder to use now that they have parks as an excuse to remove us!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

+1 remember what happened to st Annes??
    Did they ever build them back up again?

Do you not see the irony in what you've just posted.....you've mentioned a spot! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rglynn101

there hardly going to go on the internet to find a place to drink and if they did find them thats because they go to forests and fields to go drink and thats were dirt jumps are. they find them by chance

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭rebelbmx

rglynn101 wrote: »
    there hardly going to go on the internet to find a place to drink and if they did find them thats because they go to forests and fields to go drink and thats were dirt jumps are. they find them by chance

I agree with pete4130 dont be posting up where trails are unless u built them yourself, we've done like 4 yrs of digging in cork for trails which got demolished :(... Also if u mess up a jump, dont just leave, fix it up....like we spend hrs digging in the rain over the winter just to get thm ready for the summer and i would be pissed off if i saw someone posting up the location of our trails on the net and if u start riding the trails help build them too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

no its flattened, totally flattened, by kids who found out.:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Usually what happens is that some kids find out about it, then the older locals find out about it, use it as a hang out spot to go drinking, someone complains to the council and they get flattened. Or a kid goes up, faceplants his first jump and the parent tries to sue the council, resulting in them getting flattened.

If you're building jumps, put them somewhere that can't be seen from roads or houses (i.e. in a forest) and try not to create a track in and out of the area. Only tell other riders that you know pretty well. We had a decent set up once on waste ground beside a car park. It worked pretty well - the car park was only used twice a week for football matches, so we could do without for those two hours or so. Of course one idiot decided to cause hassle - putting glue in the locks on the gates, damaging parked cars and lighting fires on the pitches. So the jumps were promptly flattened :(

With that sort of attitude I can't really see anybody telling you were anything is to be honest. I'm not being a d!ick about it, but after reading your coment above, I wouldn't let you know about anything I had to ride.

All this could have been yours.........

daveydownside.jpg

derektoothpick3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

This worst thing is when your own friends lead to the flattening of the trails. Having a once of jam and barbecue with non bmxer friends invited can lead to the place becoming the usuall drinking spot which will inevitably annoy local residents if there are any. But then again that may not be a problem now that were older as I don't my friends don't go knacker drinking in fields anymore.
    Aswell as showing respect by being prepared to dig, don't turn up on a mountain bike with big knobeldy tyres on soft jumps and damp tracks unless you dug them or the diggers said its alright. This can really wreck the jumps and tracks for anybody who comes along. You could just use slightly slicker tyres either.
    Dereks shoulder muscles look really weird in that picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

We had one of the best dirt jumps in the country twice,as they got knocked and then we built them back up again even better,then they got knocked again.The local scum decided to drink and light fires there all the time.Now the spot just looks like a dump!!

We now have the use of private land and have been building since last April...roll on the summer!!!:cool:
    Private land is the way to go,no scum,no uninvited guests,no dog poo,no fires.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i remember st annes used to thrive for bmxers, one time i remember being down there and there was a fe shams on a robbed moped flying around wreckin everything. it was durin the day on one of our "days off" from school. they got chased out by all of us quite promptly with shovels!

wideangle wrote: »
    Private land is the way to go,no scum,no uninvited guests,no dog poo,no fires.:D

Can I be an invited guest?

We need a place to build them! any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fitlife4130

derektoothpick3.jpg[/quote]

holy **** sticks!were's this...hahahaha.....only messing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Seems to me a good spot to build them are areas where travellers have been kicked out of. Often the council come along afterwards and dig in loads of hillocks and place boulders around the perimiter to stop them coming back. The council would hardly come and flatten the jumps as they'd have to remove the boulders and undo their own work. BMX jumps would be the lesser of two evils as far as they and local residents are concerned.

shagman wrote: »
    Seems to me a good spot to build them are areas where travellers have been kicked out of. Often the council come along afterwards and dig in loads of hillocks and place boulders around the perimiter to stop them coming back. The council would hardly come and flatten the jumps as they'd have to remove the boulders and undo their own work. BMX jumps would be the lesser of two evils as far as they and local residents are concerned.

Thats a really good idea.
    I'm sort of glad there's no places like that around greystones

luapenak wrote: »
    Thats a really good idea.
    I'm sort of glad there's no places like that around greystones

You're all like that down there Paul.....sure Derek used to be in the circus! :D

luapenak wrote: »
    Can I be an invited guest?

At the moment there is nothing running,but if you know one of the other lads from Cork there might be a chance once the summer is here!!:cool:

• Advertisement

We need a place to build them! any ideas?

You will have to scout around for a suitable spot.You need a slightly downhill spot in a woods away from people,dogs,cars,that has suitable dirt to build dirt jumps.

Can you jump doubles allready?

If not you should build tabletops with four to five foot top on them.

How many lads are willing to help you?

Do ye ride bmx or hardtails or both?

It is better to build for one or the other bmx or mtb,both is possible but the place will get rutted up alot from mtbs.

Tools needed:
    wheel barrow at least one.

shovels

spades for shaping

rake or two

pick axe

watering can for water from a stream if possible

lots of time and energy and the help of others to get them running in time for the summer!!

any field around southside dublin????

any field around southside dublin????

Where do you ride? I think as has been the subject of the first page, this is not the place to look for trails or places to build them. You just need to meet and ride with other bmxers and find out from them if there is anywhere to dig.

Maybe try getting on to cycling Ireland (google them)and see what they are doing to promote bmx racing in Ireland now that it is an olympic sport.Ya I know racing is different to trails,but you never know one can complement the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lunapark

there used to be a load of jumps in newtownpark park(newpark) then they got demolished cause of yung uns drinkin and causin a stir.... v annoynin, never got to use them properly!
    By the way UCD is a gem, its just that spots are fairly spread out from each other, and its more kind clearing stairs and drops more than anything else, but it is good craic- i'm a student there
    the pic is a goo example, thats a serious drop

Advertisement