Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don Givens interview on skysports

• 24-01-2008 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hi,

I caught the end of Don Givens talking about what i assume is an irish player not showing enough commitment for his country, in other words, couldnt be A** , personally i would say its just pure laziness on his part

Just curious, is that muppet Stephen Ireland he is talking about or someone else ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yep, t'was Stevie Ireland he was talking about.

Incidentally anyone hear that mong reporter from Newstalk rip the piss out of Givens on their Off The Ball show earlier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I love Off the Ball...top show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Barlow07 wrote: »
    Hi,

I caught the end of Don Givens talking about what i assume is an irish player not showing enough commitment for his country, in other words, couldnt be A** , personally i would say its just pure laziness on his part

Just curious, is that muppet Stephen Ireland he is talking about or someone else ?

In fairness I think Givens is the bigger Muppet. He has stated clearly that he will not reconcile with Stephan Ireland. He has done the same with regards Anthony Stokes. He kept rabbiting on about Irish players dying to pull on "the green of Ireland". I say cut the nationalist bull**** and get the best team out on the park. Ireland would be part of that. The lad is young and he had a huge shock, which he handeled badly.

I truly hope that this is not the precursor to signing Givens up as the next Irish coach. He has zero man mangement skills, has been less than average as u21 coach, and has not got a win in either of his games in charge of the first team.

I could not think of a worse choice. But I wouldnt be suprised if the Fools Association of Ireland were thinking that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Honestly I think the FAI know they can't appoint him.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Het-Field wrote: »
    In fairness I think Givens is the bigger Muppet. He has stated clearly that he will not reconcile with Stephan Ireland. He has done the same with regards Anthony Stokes. He kept rabbiting on about Irish players dying to pull on "the green of Ireland". I say cut the nationalist bull**** and get the best team out on the park. Ireland would be part of that. The lad is young and he had a huge shock, which he handeled badly.

I truly hope that this is not the precursor to signing Givens up as the next Irish coach. He has zero man mangement skills, has been less than average as u21 coach, and has not got a win in either of his games in charge of the first team.

I could not think of a worse choice. But I wouldnt be suprised if the Fools Association of Ireland were thinking that way

Different situation. IIRC Keane pulled Stokes out of the squad because of an injury, and Keane just never told Givins.

I'm not the biggest fan of Givins myself, but I can understand where he is coming from by not picking that prima donna. I'll give S. Ireland the benefit of the doubt for grannygate, but his disregard for the Ireland team for the Germany game was inexusable.He needs to show some commitment, and so far he has shown zero desire to play for his country.

He's a good player, but not Don Givins or anybody else should bend over backwards for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    I'm not the biggest fan of Givins myself, but I can understand where he is coming from by not picking that prima donna. I'll give S. Ireland the benefit of the doubt for grannygate, but his disregard for the Ireland team for the Germany game was inexusable.He needs to show some commitment, and so far he has shown zero desire to play for his country.

His disregard for the Germany game? He was slated in every corner of the media for the whole granny thing, ridiculed by his team mates and he didn't feel he would do himself or the team any justice by playing. If that was the situation he was faced with then fair play to him for pulling out.

Get a good solid manager in who is good with the players and doesn't slate them on national tv and Ireland will be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,695 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Different situation. IIRC Keane pulled Stokes out of the squad because of an injury, and Keane just never told Givins.

He's a good player, but not Don Givins or anybody else should bend over backwards for him.

It's sadly gone to the stage that international managers will have to bend over to get there players to show up, especially for friendlies.

Stephen seems to have some problems, but I think it has got alot harder for a young fella to stay grounded in top flight football. He is still young and still growing up.

I don't think what happened would have, if we actually had a manager in charge at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

He has stated clearly that he will not reconcile with Stephan Ireland.
    No he hasn't. He's said he's not going to track down and speak to Ireland, if he wants to play for us, then he'll have to contact Givens, or whoever is in charge first.
    He has done the same with regards Anthony Stokes.
    Stokes is in the U-21 squad VS England. Which Givens picked.

In fairness, if you won't play for your country because of a bit of slagging from your teammates, there is bigger problems than we know.

I do hope the S.Ireland issue is resolved, as I think he is potentially our best player, I just hope he shows more of a desire to play for Ireland. Remember, he wouldn't play for Kerr either.

In fairness, if you won't play for your country because of a bit of slagging from your teammates, there is bigger problems than we know.

That was only part of the problem. If a guy is already down and not got his heart in it, your teamMATES ripping the piss constantly is going to push you over the edge.

• Advertisement

The new manager will come in with a clean slate for all and if he doesn't he shouldn't me the manager. I'd give S.Ireland a stay, for another couple of years.

Pity Miller hasn't developed into what we all hoped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Don Givens is a stubborn spanner. Won't talk to Stokes, won't talk to Stephen Ireland. The lad clearly has problems and you expect him to come running back "Oh mr. Givens, please let me play for you". Its just an ego trip. We need to have him, he needs an arm around the shoulder, not to be left in the cold. That doesn't help us and doesn't help him. Get rid of this "oh, play for the jersey" rubbish. What we need is tactics, organisation and to play our best team every game.

"Oh, well, we had hoped to have a manager in place by now, but it hasn't been easy". Scotland have done it. England have done it. Why can't we? Because the FAI is totally, totally clueless. We've got Givens and Houghton (who clearly don't have a notion). And it is easy. Identify the best man for the job. Appoint him. Whats the hold up? Because they are saving money by not paying a managers salary.

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Don Givens is a stubborn spanner. Won't talk to Stokes, won't talk to Stephen Ireland. The lad clearly has problems and you expect him to come running back "Oh mr. Givens, please let me play for you". Its just an ego trip. We need to have him, he needs an arm around the shoulder, not to be left in the cold. That doesn't help us and doesn't help him. Get rid of this "oh, play for the jersey" rubbish. What we need is tactics, organisation and to play our best team every game.

But here's the thing....it's not about apologising, it's about actually wanting to play for your country. I don't want him playing for Ireland if he's not happy playing for his country. Bobby Robson went over to Manchester already to ask S. Ireland if he wanted to play for the Wales game, and he said no. As far as I'm concerned, the ball is now in S.Irelands court now as to whether he chooses to play for Ireland or not. No one from the FAIlure should go over to talk him into coming back, and he can get into contact with them no problem.

If it is the case that he told Givins that he wants to play against Brazil, and Givins refused to pick him, I take back what I said, and you're right, Givins is a stubbern spanner.
    Xavi wrote: »
    That was only part of the problem. If a guy is already down and not got his heart in it, your teamMATES ripping the piss constantly is going to push you over the edge.

I see what your saying, and I agree to an extent. I take back the 'prima donna' comment.

Part of being a manager is picking your best players though, and getting the best out of the players you have. What they should have said to Stephen Ireland was "Listen, we want you to play when you sorted your head out, if you want to make yourself available for selection again, a simple fax from Man City will do to inform us, no phone calls, no pleading to come back, no BS"

But, what have they said "Right, you won't play against Germany? F*ck you so, you dont want to play for us, you dont have pride in your country". It is about apologizing. You think that he doesn't hold a grudge? The mention of his name clearly pisses him off.

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Part of being a manager is picking your best players though, and getting the best out of the players you have. What they should have said to Stephen Ireland was "Listen, we want you to play when you sorted your head out, if you want to make yourself available for selection again, a simple fax from Man City will do to inform us, no phone calls, no pleading to come back, no BS"

But, what have they said "Right, you won't play against Germany? F*ck you so, you dont want to play for us, you dont have pride in your country". It is about apologizing. You think that he doesn't hold a grudge? The mention of his name clearly pisses him off.

I did get that impression myself from listening to the interview lol.

Don Givins is an old school type of manager, and his man-management skills leave a lot to be desired, but that doesn't take away from the fact that S. Ireland choose to say no to his country when Bobby Robson approached him to see if he would play against Wales. Hopefully, Ireland appoint Gerard Houiller, a man who works well with youngsters, and we'll see the Stephen Ireland that turns up at Eastlands for the national team for many years to come.

But I personally would like to see SOME commitment from the lad, because I've not seen an awful lot of it.

I did get that impression myself from listening to the interview lol.

Don Givins is an old school type of manager, and his man-management skills leave a lot to be desired, but that doesn't take away from the fact that S. Ireland choose to say no to his country when Bobby Robson approached him to see if he would play against Wales. Hopefully, Ireland appoint Gerard Houiller, a man who works well with youngsters, and we'll see the Stephen Ireland that turns up at Eastlands for the national team for many years to come.
    But I personally would like to see SOME commitment from the lad, because I've not seen an awful lot of it.

Jesus I hope not. He's been sh1te lately. Only back in the team now cause Castillo got injured. A lot of City fans don't like him at all.

Hopefully, Ireland appoint Gerard Houiller, a man who works well with youngsters

I'd personally like Houiller aswell. I think he'd do a hell of a lot for the under age game aswell. Not just "right lads lets go out there and f*cking show some passion" like Givens would say. I think your right about the commitment thing, it would be nice to hear him say he does wanna play, but like, he needs to sort things out first. I'm sure he had no interest in playin he'd have retired from international football like, instead of making himself look like an idiot. Don't think its all his fault, even though he did handle the whole granny thing badly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Givens is a fool and I wont even take what he said seriously. He has done nothing to improve the young talent of this country nor has he ever inputtted anything to our senior team. Launching an attack on someone who obviously has major issues just shows the intelligence of the man! And to make matters worse he is choosing our next manager!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Givens : Would you pick Stephen Ireland
    Potential Manager : Yes, he is one of the best young players Ireland has
    Givens : Ah, ok so, we'll..erm..be in touch, see you now, thanks for coming in.
    Potential manager : But...but, I've only been here a minute...wh..
    Givens : Ah shure, we have loads of interested people...as I said we'll be in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

DesF wrote: »
    Givens : Would you pick Stephen Ireland
    Potential Manager : Yes, he is one of the best young players Ireland has
    Givens : Ah, ok so, we'll..erm..be in touch, see you now, thanks for coming in.
    Potential manager : But...but, I've only been here a minute...wh..
    Givens : Ah shure, we have loads of interested people...as I said we'll be in touch.

I'd laugh only you have their level of incompetence spot on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Never thought I would say this, but Givens is 100% right. Stephen Ireland has lied his way out of squads, TWICE. Read from that what you will.

Ribbing happens in every dressing room. FFS, we all know that even with our friends that the worst thing you can do is react to a wind up, because if you do, it will get worse next time. Stephen Ireland reacted badly to a wind up, and has made himself a target for ridicule now. He needs to grow up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

gimmick wrote: »
    Never thought I would say this, but Givens is 100% right. Stephen Ireland has lied his way out of squads, TWICE. Read from that what you will.

Ribbing happens in every dressing room. FFS, we all know that even with our friends that the worst thing you can do is react to a wind up, because if you do, it will get worse next time. Stephen Ireland reacted badly to a wind up, and has made himself a target for ridicule now. He needs to grow up a bit.

that is utter crap. He lost a baby ffs. Obviously not as important as turning up for a game of football. The lies that went with it were unfortunate and misguided, but he was young. I think the wind-up's story is probably little more than speculation. He seems to have some sense of humor judging by his superman routine, so i'm sure a bit of banter wouldn't bother him too much.

Givens acted like a complete tool - saying he didn't pick him because Stephen never got into contact with him. Anyone with any brains would have picked up the phone and said "Stephen, do you want to be made available for the next Ireland squad?" If he says yes, then that's fantastic, if he says no then it's not the end of the world. But to come out in the press like givens did was a disgrace.

Another thing how long has he been working for the Ireland setup, and he's only getting his coaching badges now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Givens is the same old FAI rearguard the same class of moron as the ringleader.
    He is only on the 'pick another scapegoat committee' to quench any good ideas Razor Houghton might have.

As fans we need to organise a raid of FAI headquarters and turf them out.
    Then again there are some Irish fan organisations that seem as bad as teh FAI itself...

Anyway, Agree with the general Jist, givens won't talk to Ireland because he's petty.

Did he really lose a baby?

Jays what happened to solidarity amongst Cork people? I'm sure you were the first man to defend Roy when he fell out with management.

I was actually pro McCarthy at the time, but came to realise they both acted like idiots.

Solidarity is one thing, but Ireland has proven too many times he is unreliable and uncommitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

[ Because the FAI is totally, totally clueless. We've got Givens and Houghton (who clearly don't have a notion). Think your a bit harsh on auld houghton. givens i can understand with have the same view on him as you. hasnt done anythin with the U21's. as for ireland playing agian. he has the potential to be a great palyer if he sorts himself out. i know it such a shock to lose a kid (i know i lost 3 but you dont hear me making excuses)in the way he has if he told stan first off then we wouldnt have had this grannygate scandal. he still a young lad and growing up so hope the new manager can have the skills to get the best out of the player and the whole team. hope we can get backto qualifying for the world cups and european championships on a regular basis. we have the players to qualify on a regular basis we just need a top class manager.

Solidarity is one thing, but Ireland has proven too many times he is unreliable and uncommitted.

Except when he's on the pitch obviously. He's been very reliable for us then

villains77 wrote: »
    [ Because the FAI is totally, totally clueless. We've got Givens and Houghton (who clearly don't have a notion). Think your a bit harsh on auld houghton. givens i can understand with have the same view on him as you. hasnt done anythin with the U21's. as for ireland playing agian. he has the potential to be a great palyer if he sorts himself out. i know it such a shock to lose a kid (i know i lost 3 but you dont hear me making excuses)in the way he has if he told stan first off then we wouldnt have had this grannygate scandal. he still a young lad and growing up so hope the new manager can have the skills to get the best out of the player and the whole team. hope we can get backto qualifying for the world cups and european championships on a regular basis. we have the players to qualify on a regular basis we just need a top class manager.
    Anyone want to translate that, so I can read it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think we're all sick of personal spats which come in the way of putting the best XI on the pitch. I don't think Givens' attitude is constructive at all.

Hopefully the next manager will have a bit of common sense and can sit down and talk this issue out.

Petty jibes through the media don't help.

I think we're all sick of personal spats which come in the way of putting the best XI on the pitch. I don't think Givens' attitude is constructive at all.

Hopefully the next manager will have a bit of common sense and can sit down and talk this issue out.

Petty jibes through the media don't help.
    Agreed, Givens sounded like a bitter little man in that interview actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

tbh, do people think that if Ireland was already asked if he wanted to be included in a squad a number of months after the "incident", and said no......that the FAI should keep going back and asking him every time they are announcing a squad?

I would have thought the ball was in his court? maybe thats just me though

Mr Alan wrote: »
    tbh, do people think that if Ireland was already asked if he wanted to be included in a squad a number of months after the "incident", and said no......that the FAI should keep going back and asking him every time they are announcing a squad?

Hmm, maybe Ireland should "declare" that he is "ready to play".

But still. Givens has shown utter unprofessionalism here, by airing the dirty laundry in public like this.

He obviously dislikes Ireland, and this has a history, no doubt. But Ireland obviously has some issues that need to be sorted. An episode like this isn't going to solve them either.

Should the FAI not have told Givens to stfu about Ireland, say nothing. Ireland is one of the best prospects the team has, he shouldn't be being singled out by this, especially by the manager. Caretaker or not.

It just shows the type of person employed by the FAI though. He's been working with them for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

It just shows the type of person employed by the FAI though. He's been working with them for years.

exactly...jus shows whats needed to put up with their cr*p. any decent man wouldnt be fit for it!

its only a friendlt and givens wont be in charge after it so their shouldnt be too big an issue made outta it.
    its up to the new manager to talk to every player eligible to play and pick his best possible squad for the WC campaign.

S.Irelands problems arn't even that severe, he is no Joey Barton. It's easily fixable, with a phone call or meeting by the new manager.

It's the managers job to sort these problems out, all players are different, some need an arm around them, some need a kick in the arse.

If everyone had Givens view, there would be no Cantona's, McGraths, Keanes, etc.

We only have to bare this fella for a short while, I still have no faith that they will get the next setup right, maybe they will, but it will be more by luck than judgement sadly.

At the moment thou, we need Ireland more than Ireland needs Ireland, if you know what I mean. :)

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »

At the moment thou, we need Ireland more than Ireland needs Ireland, if you know what I mean. :)

I don't go along with that. We have plenty of other centre midfielders who would be more willing to give 100% to the cause. Yeah, he is a very good player, but his attitude, from an early age, has been questionable at best. He has problems, but so does everybody else, it doesn't stop them from getting on with their jobs. God forbid him playing football for his country.

By all means, leave the door open for S. Ireland, but don't move heaven and earth for the lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Mr Alan wrote: »

For once I agree with everything you're saying.

Sure Ireland is skillful, but his head isn't right. He doesn't strike me as the type of fella who takes responsibility for anything. Lying about his granny's death, lying about being bullied in the dressingroom. With him, it's always someone elses fault. Not his.

We need to have a strong team spirit in order to have any chance of qualifying; and Ireland at the moment would be a liability. I can just imagine him pulling out prior to an important game and leaving us with no chance to call up a replacement. He'll do what he thinks suits his best interests and not ours.

I think we need to plan without him, and if he grows up and comes on board then it's a bonus. But if I was manager (or any of his team mates) I wouldn't trust him when it came to the crunch.

I don't go along with that. We have plenty of other centre midfielders who would be more willing to give 100% to the cause. Yeah, he is a very good player, but his attitude, from an early age, has been questionable at best. He has problems, but so does everybody else, it doesn't stop them from getting on with their jobs. God forbid him playing football for his country.

By all means, leave the door open for S. Ireland, but don't move heaven and earth for the lad.

We have plenty midfielders willing to give 100%, unfortunately that is 100% of average talent.

Midfield is one area where we are lacking big time, sadly. I take your point thou, in an ideal world all players will go above the call of duty for their countries.

Right now thou it is more appealing to go have a free weekend and go on the piss than to fly into Dublin airport and to be met with the shambles thats is Irish international football setup.

On another point, is Nolan Irish'ish or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

I think Givens is a moron, he wont pick S.Ireland because of his personal issues, it is not a footballing discission but a personal one, that in my book is very wrong. And before any comparisons, it is not like McCarthy vs Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

that is utter crap. He lost a baby ffs. Obviously not as important as turning up for a game of football. The lies that went with it were unfortunate and misguided, but he was young. I think the wind-up's story is probably little more than speculation. He seems to have some sense of humor judging by his superman routine, so i'm sure a bit of banter wouldn't bother him too much.
    Didn't he do his Superman routine just after "he lost his baby"? Strange behaviour if ya ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Don Givins is an old school type of manager

Manager ? Seriously he hasn't a fookin clue about management in any form. Go dig up our U-21 results which he has managed and tell me he is a manager ffs. I agree Ireland handled 'that' situation badly but for any 'manager' to publicy ridicule a player is a fookin joke and shows the total lack of organisational skills the FAIlure have in letting Givens have charge of any squad let alone the senior one.I would probably risk a ban in really typing what i think of Givens in the Irish set-up so will leave my opinion at the above.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Givens is perfectly correct on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

d22ontour wrote: »
    Manager ? Seriously he hasn't a fookin clue about management in any form. Go dig up our U-21 results which he has managed and tell me he is a manager ffs. I agree Ireland handled 'that' situation badly but for any 'manager' to publicy ridicule a player is a fookin joke and shows the total lack of organisational skills the FAIlure have in letting Givens have charge of any squad let alone the senior one.I would probably risk a ban in really typing what i think of Givens in the Irish set-up so will leave my opinion at the above.

;)

I suggest you speak with the players he has helped develop and make ready for the senior squad. You will also find he has the respect of those who have not made the step up to the next level.

Similarly sit down and chat with Sean McCaffrey and maybe then you'd understand their roles and responsibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Stephen Ireland has lied his way out of squads, TWICE. Read from that what you will.

Plus he wears a toupee so he's the kinda guy who's lying to you before he even opens his mouth.

I think Ireland shouldn't be allowed back into the squad til he learns to stop flipping his wig and grow up. He needs to be a bit more selfless when it comes to playing for his country. For a start he could lend his hair to Lee Carsley for 45mins per game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Givens is perfectly correct on this one.
    Well he's guilty of saying a bit too much as usual. Ireland asked not to be included in Ireland squads til he's ready. That hasn't changed. He has not asked to be included in this squad. No reason for Givens to go on a rant about him.

The reason Ireland pulled out of the Ireland squad in the first place was probably embarrassment. He wanted the whole granny thing to blow over. Givens has just made it worse.

Now I could understand Givens rant if Ireland went to some journalist and told him he wanted to be included in this squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Givens should have left it at what he said pre Wales, no need for further comment seeing as this is his last game in charge for (hopefully) a long time.

The attitude towards Givens "man management" and treatment of players he finds to be irresponsible or prima donna like is a bit odd. One of the biggest criticisms of Brian Kerr was his loose grip on the team- wasnt Robbie and a few others on the piss two odd nights before the Swiss game in late 05? Givens doesnt take ****. Neither does Alex Ferguson, but apart from the Beckham incident there have been few criticisms for the way he handles players acting the tit. He fined the lads and sent Evans in exile for a bit. In fact his clamp down on the notorious Man U drinking culture is credited with their revival from the 90s on. Id even reckon he told Ronaldo and Rooney to grow up or get out post WC 06. Hes no nonsense, he demands discipline and tbh he gets it generally.

Surely Givens deserves some credit?

Advertisement