Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best football memories as a child?

• 25-01-2008 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Posted on a Spurs site re. Tuesday night's thumping of Arsenal:
    Dad, that was the best night of my life...my 13 year old said to me as he went to bed on Tuesday night.

Kid's been a season ticket holder with his dad since he was seven. I know how happy I felt, but I am so envious of a kid that young getting to experience joy like that for the first time. But like his first ride will be...:D

As a latecomer to live in the flesh football (was in my mid to late teens by the time I stumbled upon Tolka Park) I had to make do with special moments supporting the Dubs (boo hiss!) and the telly. In fairness, I did get to see some of the best Gaelic Football of the 80s as my old man always took me to Croker regardless of whether the Dubs were there or not, but its just not the same.

Best "early" memory as a Shels fan was the 96 Cup Final when Gough was sent off and Brian Flood went in goal, of course I decided not to go because I had exams coming up a week later and I needed to study...:mad: Decided to fcuk off the exams for the replay, and saw us win 2-1 against KdjaCL *cough* I mean Pats *cough*

Of course, as an Ireland fan Houghton's goal in Euro 88 and the shootout in Genoa in 90 stand out, but I was miles away for both...:(

What's your best childhood moment, preferably something you saw in person.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Havent been to many matches as a child, however, I would say getting Eric Cantona to sign one of my jerseys as a young lad is up there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

wasnt there.. but i was 11..

Stuttgart, 1988.. need i say more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Archimedes wrote: »
    Havent been to many matches as a child, however, I would say getting Eric Cantona to sign one of my jerseys as a young lad is up there!

Things like that count just as much, I refused to wash my hand for a week after Barney Rock shook it at a Dublin training session, and that was only last year...:D

was actually in 1984 the year after the Dubs won the All-Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

My first ever match, my dad brought me, was September 1989 Arsenal Versus Charlton, the match itself was not great, Arsenal won 1-0 Brain Marwood pen but on entering the West Lower stand I was hooked,I can even to this day remember that Richard Marx Right Here waiting was playing as I entered the stand. It was just like that scene from Fever Pitch when Nick Hornby enters Highbury for the first time. A great stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Mine was definitely Roma 5-1 Lazio. 6 goals, 3 riots and a Roman Ultras procession in the Colleseum the next day which for some reason my mum let me go to. I was a Juve fan when I went but I've leant towards Roma ever since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I started watching football when i was 6 because my Dad did, but watching Ronaldo in the 1998 World Cup when i was 9 made me know i was about to dedicate my life to football, he was amazing and i had never seen something as close to a Superhero before in my life.

I was 10 when United did the Treble, that counts. I remember i was crying when 0-1 in the last min and i was about to run off to bed in a huff... So glad i didnt. Thats THE ONE for me anyway.

Also i was only 13 for Robbie Keane's equaliser against Germany in Yokohama in 2002, in my school, everyone going insane.

Sure feck it, im only 18, if anything amazing happens this season i can edit it into this post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Bray wanderers wining the 1985/6 First Division Championship, and running up bray main st after the open top bus.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

The song ''loosing my favourite game' played after the 1998 world cup final. I don't know why, just going through all the moments of the world cup with this amazing song..

Robbie Keane's goal against Germany.

Can I mention Esteban Cambiasso's goal against Serbia?

I have so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

On TV, Bruce Grobelaar's spaghetti legs in the 1984 European Cup Final, I was 10.
    Being at a game, I remember a crowd of us kids at the time climbing the wall at the Sportsground to watch Galway play Lyngby.
    Cool thread my friend ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That I've been at -

1. City v Lincoln, Div 2, 1999. 34,000 to see a Division 2 game. Being in the same place as so many City fans was a wonderful experience! Dickov getting a hattrick was sweet too

2. Seeing Real Madrid train in Chicago in 2005. I spent the whole session with my jaw dropped watching basically every player I grew up admiring. Zidane, Figo, Raul, Ronaldo, Carlos, Casillas, Beckham. Owen was there too. Oh and shouting over to Tommy Gravesen asking him where Lee Carsley was was great, especially when he came over to chat to us. Got my Madrid shirt signed by Raul too.

3. Meeting the entire City squad after training on my first trip to Maine Road in 1995. Still have the pics on my wall at home.

4. Shels winning the title in Tolka in '06. What a night.

That I've seen -

1. Houghton in '94

2. Zidane in '98

3. Bergkamp v Argentina in '98

4. Saeed Al Owairan (Saudi Arabia) v Belgium in '94. As an impressionable 9 year old this guy became a cult hero for me. Amazing goal.

5. Kinkladze v Southampton in '96. What a player.

6. The Goat in the last derby at Maine Road

7. Zidane's peno v Buffon in the final

8. 1999 Division 2 Play Off Final comeback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

4 Memories for me;
    1. Marc Overmars scoring to put Arsenal 2-1 up against Utd at Old Trafford. Amazing.
    2. Robbie Fowler trying to wave away a penalty given for him and then showing David Seaman the way he was going to shoot. (Course Jason McAteer had to fooking ruin it!)
    3. Meeting Liam Brady and the Iceman whilst on a tour of Highbury
    4. Robbie Keane equalising against Germany in the 2002 World Cup in the last minute.

All of these moments (bar meeting the lads) had me jumping around like a madman. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Mark Hughes volley for Manchester Utd. to draw level with Oldham in the FA Cup semi final in '94.
    I believe it was the last minute of extra time, when he somehow volleyed that ball past the keeper.
    Neil Pointon was the name of the bloke who scored for Oldham I think. He had terrible hair as I recall. I think we routed the latics in the replay, and hammered Chelsea in the final and won the double that season. But THAT was the goal that made it all happen. Sparky. What a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Me "da who is that black man............"

Da "hes a pearl"

Hes actually the 1st black/negro/coloured/dunno whats pc person i ever seen.

mad that :confused:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

snyper wrote: »
    wasnt there.. but i was 11..

Stuttgart, 1988.. need i say more?

I was in a pub outside the ground for that . Was at the USSR game.

- The great Dane saving van Bastens penalty in Euro 92

- Watching Ryan Giggs in his debut season when Leeds won the old Championship and the fact that hes still playin for United now.

- United winning the first premiership after it changed.

- Ray Houghton, say no more.

- Ajax winning the Champions League

- United winning the treble

- Zidane in 98 and 06 and seeing him play in the flesh in his prime in 200 for juventus against Vicenza (even tho i was 21 in 06!!). Best player that ever lived.

- Cantonas lob...majestic

- The first time i went to Old Trafford

- Goin to the Amsterdam Tournament (again i was 21 and it was a pre season thing but I saw all the United lads, Ajax, Inter, Porto and got my pic taken with the Champions league trophy that I cheered Ajax onto winning in 96!)

- Robbie Keane 2002

- And believe it or not, beckhanms free against Greece. Was workin in a pub at the time and these scumbags were sittin near me and they were so bad that all of us barstaff actually wanted England to win just to piss those lads off, and what a way to do. Shoot me for that one!

EDIT: Have to include di Canio catching the ball when the keeper was injured. What a sportsman. The way the game should be. Pity he never signed for United.

Mark Hughes volley for Manchester Utd. to draw level with Oldham in the FA Cup semi final in '94.
    I believe it was the last minute of extra time, when he somehow volleyed that ball past the keeper.
    Neil Pointon was the name of the bloke who scored for Oldham I think. He had terrible hair as I recall. I think we routed the latics in the replay, and hammered Chelsea in the final and won the double that season. But THAT was the goal that made it all happen. Sparky. What a legend.

I remember that well. What a legend.

4 - 0 in the final. We reaped the best of kanchelskis and Ince that season.

i also remember around the same period Sparky gettin sent off for an unbelievably painful lookin kick to the balls of a Sheffield United player at Bramble Lane. Obviously not a favourite memory but it popped into my head readin that. Funny the way memories come back like that.

Also watchin Fergie celebratin on the Wembley pitch!!! Timeless! And bruceys comeback goals against Sheffield wednesday. that game won us the league that year imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I was a little too young to really understand what was happening during Euro 88 and Italia 90, but I'll always have very fond memories of USA 94.

There were tri-colours everywhere and absolutely everybody watched the matches.

Houghtons goal and Aldridge going mental, brilliant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

-
    - And believe it or not, beckhanms free against Greece. Was workin in a pub at the time and these scumbags were sittin near me and they were so bad that all of us barstaff actually wanted England to win just to piss those lads off, and what a way to do. Shoot me for that one!

The exact same thing happened to me, I was so happy when that goal went in.

The only thing I rememeber about USA 94, I was four going on five was walking around town on the the day of the Italy game with a huge balloon Irish hammer and Inflatable American football hat, with an Ireland jersey too big for me

- And believe it or not, Beckhams free against Greece. Was workin in a pub at the time and these scumbags were sittin near me and they were so bad that all of us barstaff actually wanted England to win just to piss those lads off, and what a way to do. Shoot me for that one!

No matter what anyones views on the England team, you could not be a fan of football watching that match and not want Beckham to score that.

He and he alone was brilliant that day. I think they said after the game that he ran almost ten miles or something during that match

• Advertisement

Yeah it was a good moment, but I can't say I wanted him to score.

How could I forget Ukraine vs Switzerland in world cup. Terrible game but Ukraine went through.. to the quarter finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Damn you dr. bollocko that was going to be my cherished childhood memory!

It was great though... I fell off my the top bunkbed I was that excited!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Have to add Italia '90 also, was all about Packie Bonner at the time, try and skip the first 55 seconds if at all possible :o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pazh__1Kuus

I remember that well. What a legend.

4 - 0 in the final. We reaped the best of kanchelskis and Ince that season.

i also remember around the same period Sparky gettin sent off for an unbelievably painful lookin kick to the balls of a Sheffield United player at Bramble Lane. Obviously not a favourite memory but it popped into my head readin that. Funny the way memories come back like that.

Also watchin Fergie celebratin on the Wembley pitch!!! Timeless! And bruceys comeback goals against Sheffield wednesday. that game won us the league that year imo.

Oh my god How could I forget Brucey's brace against Sheff Wed. It makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck just thinking about it!
    Why do I always emote more for football results I remember from back then than I do from watching it now?

woooo232 wrote: »
    Damn you dr. bollocko that was going to be my cherished childhood memory!

It was great though... I fell off my the top bunkbed I was that excited!

Everyone remembers Sparky's goal so much more than the final, even though we beat the blues 4-0. It was just the tension in the stadium was palpible, the comentators sounded stricken, the crowd shell shocked after Pointon scored against the run of play right at the start of extra time and we were just out of ideas. We kept booting the ball back in again and again and it was completely fruitless, and time was slowly running out and there was just this sense of encroaching doom, of a bubble bursting as the last few seconds play out. I was thinking, that's it, wer'e ****ed. No league, no cup. It's all over. Nobody can recover from losing a semi like this and maintain form in a title race. And then I remember actually watching it live, when the ball is lobbed into the box, it seemed to go in slow motion and hang in the air forever, and I watched it with my heart in my mouth unable to breath, and then WHAM! And you had to look twice to even be sure it had snuck in before all hell broke loose. What a ****ing moment.

Also, does anyone remember this little bad boy? The famous Roberto Carlos impossible curl?
    Poetry in motion.
    Or the infamous Higuita scorpion kick? The stuff of They think its all over opening credits. I mean that's like better than winning an oscar.

Also, the one last thing I will always remember is that song.
    "NAYIM! FROM THE HALF WAY LINE!"
    And everyone thinking, why didnt you just use two hands you pompous moustachioed wanker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Phil Babb's debut against Hungary in 93, Daithi O'Leary's testimonial. The beginning of a beautiful international career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

JæKæ wrote: »
    Phil Babb's debut against Hungary in 93, Daithi O'Leary's testimonial. The beginning of a beautiful international career

Speaking of Babb, his legs spread either side of a goal post against Chelsea has to be one of the best moments ever. Especially when the camera cut to Casiraghi pissing himself.

EDIT: And here it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

My Earliest memory of football is Mexico '86. I was six.

I remember asking my dad why there was a spider on the pitch in the England Argentina match.

It's in the centre circle here :D

I remember my dad going apeshít when Maradona scored the "hand of god" goal, we had visitors from England staying with us that week.

Not much in between until Euro '88, and being mesmerised by Van Basten, the guy has been my hero since then.

Oh, one other memory, that makes me smile, in a sick twisted way.

My dad is a Liverpool fan (:mad:), and the year they lost the championship to Arsenal, when Michael Thomas scored. What was it 89? 90? That was the first time I saw my dad crying. He was on the sitting room floor that Friday night bawling his eyes out :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Memories as a kid, top 6 gotta be:

1) Ronnie Whelan -what a goal!!! 1988

2) Dave O Leary pen Italia 90

3) Hughes goal vs Barcelona Euro WC final 1991

4) Listening to United beat Norwich on the radio, 1993... I knew then the league was ours!

5) Went to see Villa vs United in 1993 1-1, Staunton scored a cracker,
    then a few weeks later scored from a corner kick against Northern Ireland.

6) McClair goal (those blue jerseys!) against Forest 1992 League Cup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

DesF wrote: »
    My Earliest memory of football is Mexico '86. I was six.

I remember asking my dad why there was a spider on the pitch in the England Argentina match.

It's in the centre circle here :D

I remember my dad going apeshít when Maradona scored the "hand of god" goal, we had visitors from England staying with us that week.

Not much in between until Euro '88, and being mesmerised by Van Basten, the guy has been my hero since then.

Oh, one other memory, that makes me smile, in a sick twisted way.

My dad is a Liverpool fan (:mad:), and the year they lost the championship to Arsenal, when Michael Thomas scored. What was it 89? 90? That was the first time I saw my dad crying. He was on the sitting room floor that Friday night bawling his eyes out :D:D

It was 89, and you are indeed sick and twisted if your Dad crying on the floor is one of your best football memories:D

My two are: Meeting Ronnie Whelan,Bruce Grobelaar,Craig Johnston and Greame Souness after a match at Anfield.(I still have the photo 25 years later!).
    And the European cup final in 1981 against Real, thought we were going to be stuffed that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Stekelly wrote: »
    I was in a pub outside the ground for that . Was at the USSR game.

Ahh. you legend!

You saw "the ronnie"!! The magical ronnie whelan goal that i spent years trying to replicate after!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Best footballing memory ever has nothing to do with any pro game or anything like that. Its actually my own and come to think of it its not a childhood one either. Started playing for Rovers at 19 (not 1st regular or anything like that). Playing in an FAI cup game against Ashtown Villa age 20 slid in for a tackle and snapped the cruciate for a 2nd time.

Told after 12 physio sessions and a knee op that I'd never play again. Almost 3 years of solid personal rehab and strenght building I pulled on the Rovers jersey for the a glorious return in the last 20mins of a cup game against Tolka Rovers. That turned out to be the last game I ever played for Rovers as I just can't do it to that level anymore. Fully finished but that 20mins I had tears in my eyes all the way through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Everton beating Watford in the FA Cup final in 1984 (8 years old)was my 1st memory.Next memory was losing to Utd in the FA Cup Final a year later when Kevin Moran got sent off.

Next big memory was Stuttgart 1988 what a day !;):D think it was also the 1st time I had a can of beer too as everyone on our road came out to play ball that evening including the parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

1. Packie Bonner's save in Italia 90, the proceeding to bury my head behind a cushion as O'Leary stepped up to take the decider. I was 7.
    2. Yerr mans knee in euro 92
    3. Meeting my footballing idol John Aldridge, accompanied by Phil Babb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

One of my earliest ever memories as a kid is being in Waterford with my family as a four year old and being called in from playing outside by my mother to watch Ireland's penalty shoot-out win over Romania. Even though I didn't fully understand what was going on, what an atmosphere!

Another favourite memory is Alan McLoughlin's goal against NI that took us to the '94 World Cup and me and my dad jumping up and down on the sofa going crazy. My mother came down as she'd had a migraine and was wondering what all the noise was all about. "WE'RE GOING TO THE WORLD CUP!"

Another great one I remember is being in Galway watching the '94 World Cup itself where me and my dad were with some woman and her son who was around my age. He left the match to go next door and get something to eat and in the process missed Ray Houghton's goal, one of the most famous goals in Irish history! Poor guy was gutted!

I wasn't taken to many games as a kid although I recall going to Dalymount to watch Bohs as a youngster and having to sit on those benches. :D I also recall going to see United against Shelbourne in those friendly games they used to do every year and that was a great day for me.

Some painful memories include Luis Oliveira helping Belgium stop us getting to the 98 WC in the play-off and listening to the radio as Turkey stopped us from going to Euro 2000 in yet another play-off. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Rivaldo's hat trick against Valencia, winning the game 3-2, to get Barca the last champions league spot.

A recent one was Figos return the the Nou Camp as a Real player.

He had some bottle to constantly take the corners when he was being pelted with things, including a pigs head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Mine was definitely Roma 5-1 Lazio. 6 goals, 3 riots and a Roman Ultras procession in the Colleseum the next day which for some reason my mum let me go to. I was a Juve fan when I went but I've leant towards Roma ever since

do you even understand what your saying here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

1) i'm gonna get lynched for this but Italia 90, wearing an england away kit at the age of 7 (my aunt had bought it for me, my second jersey every after getting a spurs goalkeeper top so i could pretend to be erik the viking thortsvedt) and watching the only 2 players i really knew (Gazza and Lineker) playing for england and getting knocked out of the world cup semi final. i cried all night... before i knew i wasnt meant to like england... most upsetting football match EVER, and best... i can pin point that as the day i fully fully fell in love with football.

2) the following year, spurs winning the cup!!!

3) Spurs vs leicester, allan nielsen, last minute!!!! wooooo!

4) houghton goal versus italy in USA.

5) spurs arsenal, 5-1, happened recently, some of you may have heard!?!? hhehehe

6) on a whim, myself and 4 mates travel to madrid for last game of last season, do a tour of the stadium and then hit a sports bar and watch real come from behind to win the league. then join 100,000+ in the town centre to celebrate!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

World Cup 1982

It's probably the first WC i remember and still consider the best one I've seen.
    It had 2 classic games
    Italy v Brazil http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=zTfPOzUc1JI
    W Germany France. http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=gv8EkcezR_s
    and of course
    N. Ireland v Spain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

DesF wrote: »
    My dad is a Liverpool fan

Ahhhh! that explains a lot!

You must be truely ashamed Des ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

"Timoti against bonner"..."A nation holds it's breath"

The England v Argentina game when Michael Owen scored.

Seria A on Network 2...ahhh memories. Sampdoria rule!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Speaking of Babb, his legs spread either side of a goal post against Chelsea has to be one of the best moments ever. Especially when the camera cut to Casiraghi pissing himself.

EDIT: And here it is!

To my circle of friends and possibly others? This is known as babbing oneself. Example. Jesus i nearly babbed myself sliding to get a touch on that cross. Classic moment in footbal.

My earliest and fondest memory is Mexico 86, El Diego taking england apart. Jimmy Magee comentary, Different Class, this man should be on a pedestal, Different Class, can he finish? Goaalll.

Wan the jimmy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭secman

My Da lifting me over the turn stiles at Dalyer to watch his beloved Shels play Bohs and the bovril at half time, to warm me up ! We then moved from town to Inchicore when I was 6ish and then I became a Saints fan, 44 yrs now for my troubles. Still remember that bovril and me poor da who has since passed away ! Certainly miss going to matches , any match, be it Pats , Ireland or the local team, with him.

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

lordgoat wrote: »
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    My earliest and fondest memory is Mexico 86, El Diego taking england apart. Jimmy Magee comentary, Different Class, this man should be on a pedestal, Different Class, can he finish? Goaalll.

Wan the jimmy.

Mexico 86 was special, i was 10, into football but not yet hooked, i think it was Denmark that first got me, "Laudrop, still Laudrop,, still Laudrop" and of course Maradona,

Childhood memories of Man utd in the 80's is mainly misery, sunday afternoons on ITV getting hopped on, thinking Russel Beardsmore was the best thing since sliced bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Ahhhh! that explains a lot!

You must be truely ashamed Des ;)
    I've mentioned this atrocity on here before.

I don't speak to my father :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Going to my first Bohs game in 1990. It was a pre-season centenary friendly match against Glasgow Keltic.

The place was quite literally packed (I had to sit on the steps of the old main stand because they'd no space left on the old wooden benches).

The ground smelt like cigarettes and I'd say 95% of the 20000+ crowd were behind the glamourous British side, but I knew straight away which team I wanted to win. It all felt exactly like that scene in Fever Pitch where the kid goes to his first Arsenal game.

That day also began my life-long hatred of Keltic too btw. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

man utd losing by 1 goal in the fa cup final and 1 point in the league :)

i was pretty happy bout that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

italia 90 is the obvious one for me.

also, i was only 7 and i can remember the night that mark robbins got the goal against forest to save fergies job, united went on to win the cup. remember listening to te game on 5live on a s**te radio.....god those were the days. also fondly remember the 2 games v palace that may and where i was for both of them. lee martin legend.

vaguley remember the malta game and john aldridges 2 goals to put us in the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

1996 FA cup final Cantona Goal, 1999 treble win, Giggs goal against Arsenal in the FA cup semi

• Advertisement
Advertisement