Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best football memories as a child?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Also i was only 13 for Robbie Keane's equaliser against Germany in Yokohama in 2002, in my school, everyone going insane.

June 5th 2002. Wouldnt you have been out of school by then?

I know I was in school, iirc was only a few mins out of one of the JC exams. TV had been set up in the canteen, arrived in a few mins before it :) Atmosphere was fairly dead until then, place erupted :D

I vaguely remember the whole buzz of 1990, ole ole and all that :D Boiling hot summer iirc.

Also remember thinking my dad was nuts when he told me he had put money on a France win in 98, they were fairly unfancied compared to Brazil. I distinctly recall Zidane and Petits goals in the final.

Hardly a best memory but was watching Reeling in the Years from 97 and remembered having watced your man Olivera end our 98 hopes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

The Brazil and French teams of the '82 and '86 world cups.

Paul McGrath!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Murtinho wrote: »

Mexico 86 was special, i was 10, into football but not yet hooked, i think it was Denmark that first got me, "Laudrop, still Laudrop,, still Laudrop" and of course Maradona,

Childhood memories of Man utd in the 80's is mainly misery, sunday afternoons on ITV getting hopped on, thinking Russel Beardsmore was the best thing since sliced bread.

:eek: I never said that about Jimmy Magee! I can't stand him. Most boring commentator ever, and sure how would I remember Mexico 86 if I was one?!

Sort out them quotes of yours! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I have been to literally 100's of football games but it's still an easy one for me - England 0 -1 Ireland, Stuttgart '88.

My Dad brought the whole family to that tournament in a 30ft camper van:D. I was 8 years old and after that game I was taken in hook, line and sinker:)

I really appreciate how lucky I was to be a kid when Ireland went through that golden period. Will our youth of today/tomorrow ever get to experience such highs again...I really hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Seeing Gazza score from outside the box with his shoulder in Tolka Park.

Ireland v Wales at Tolka Park.

Ireland v England at Lansdowne. All 30 minutes of it.

Being the only person in a stand of 10,000 standing and celebrating when Southampton scored a consolation to make it 4-1 in Goodison Park.

Seeing Matt Le Tissier in the flesh for the first time circa 1995 in Inchicore. Also, meeting Peter Beardsley, Juninho and Dario Gradi (one of my football heroes) at various pre-season friendlies over the years.

Seeing Robbie Keanes debut vs Argentina in Lansdowne.

Roy Keane refusing to shake my hand in Lansdowne. Nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

Roy Keane refusing to shake my hand in Lansdowne. Nice guy.

:D What did you say to upset him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

OPENROAD wrote: »
    :D What did you say to upset him.

Nah the team were getting off the bus and walking into the ground and every other player shook my hand but not him.

Cue a United fan to say he was just 100% focussed on the game at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Nah the team were getting off the bus and walking into the ground and every other player shook my hand but not him.

Cue a United fan to say he was just 100% focussed on the game at hand.

Funny you mention that, I went with a mate to a Man Utd match at OT, as players came in they all signed autographs and posed for photos including Cantona, Giggs, Beckham,May Ferguson etc.., Roy Keane and Denis Irwin were the only two who did not.

Some favourite personal football memories:

*Watching the Portuguese squad train over 4 days in a pre Euro '96 training camp just up the road from my gaff and getting all their autographs, Rui Costas boots and a training top off Jorge Cadete.

Also, a bit of contoversy too. I had a Barcelona flag and got Figo to sign and there were strong rumours that Vitor Baia was joining Barcelona(he did end up joining) so a cunning photograher got me to get Baia to sign also and he took a snap. Baia was not amused with him:D...So, in all probabilitiy I was on the front of some portuguese rag the next day:D

*Meeting Dejan Savicevic behind the Lansdowne west stand when we played Yugoslavia in a qualifier. It was surreal. He had been subbed off and obviously had the hump. So there he was in his tracksuit munching on a hot dog with not a care in the world! No one recognised him, but me and my brother did and we over like a flash yapping away to him. Had no camera but got a randomer to take a pic on his. He promised to forward the photo but never did:(

*I spent 12 weeks working at Euro '04 as an accreditation officer and that was a magical summer.
    So, many memories, impossible to list them all but here's a few

- going to 16 games including all quarters, semis and final.

- spending a day at Italys tournament HQ, watching them train, having lunch with Inter/Italy legend Giacinto Facchetti(RIP) and beating Massimo Oddo in a game of Pro-Evo(He was Italy I was Ireland)

- also met Andy Townsend, Ray Houghton, Tony Cascarino, Peter Schmeichel, Jurgen Klinsmann, Beckenbauer, Eusebio, Gary Linekar, Jamie Redknapp and loads more, including Garth Crooks:o

- marching with 1000's of portuguese fans behind team bus on way to the final(goosebumps just thinking about it!)

- seeing my idol Zidane put England to the sword at the death and having to bite my lip being in amongst english fans

...but the best was blagging my way into the press area after the Czech v Holland match(best game I've ever been to) and 'interviewing' Van Nistelrooy with my mobile phone outstretched. He knew I was chancing my arm but smiled playing along and chatted for a couple of minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Liverpool fans will love this...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=srui70ZzPC8

Pfft, and people praise the Argentine goal against Serbia at WC06....

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

If we're allowed mention things that we didnt witness in person, then Id include:
    • Barcelona, 1999. That comeback. Went from one type of tears to a completely different type of tears. Amazing, utterly utterly amazing.
    • Arsenal 2 - 4 Man Utd - the whole tunnel incident had everyone pumped for that game..
    • Man Utd 4 - 3 Real Madrid - the one time I didnt mind being knocked out of a competition. Amazing game, great spectacle for football and of course a magnificent performance from the greatest of all time.
    • Roy Keane's testemonial - very emotional, brought a tear to the eye.
    • Robbie Keane's equaliser against Germany. You could feel the country roar, it was surreal.
    • Wayne Rooney's debut - so much excitement, and the boy duly delivered...
    • Eric Cantona's late winner against Liverpool in the FA Cup final - made my brother, and the scousers in general, cry and for that alone, i'll never forget it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Walking down Richmond Road to Tolka in 2003 for the first game of the season for the first time (went to my first Shels game at the age of 1 supposely), seeing the floodlights.

Watching the 1999 Man U -v- Bayern match.

Watching the one of Irelands games of the 2002 WC in a oub at 8.00 in the morning.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Bosnich saving peno's in the League cup Semi Final then going on to Beat Utd in the final to deny them a quadruple. Dalian Aktinson - Legend

Villain wrote: »
    Bosnich saving peno's in the League cup Semi Final then going on to Beat Utd in the final to deny them a quadruple. Dalian Aktinson - Legend

A bit of revisionism from you there;)
    Utd were going for a treble...Galatasaray had knocked them out of Europe a good while before that League Cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

ah yes sorry treble, still a great game :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

snyper wrote: »

You saw "the ronnie"!! The magical ronnie whelan goal that i spent years trying to replicate after!

Sure did. Have some great pics somewhere of the stadium. It was crazy. 3quarters of the ground was just orange then one big green section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Rangers V Leeds at Ibrox and Elland Rd in the Champions League.

Away fans were supposed to be banned from the games, but we had the fortune to be sitting beside a couple of leeds boys who'd managed to get tickets for Ibrox.
    Gary McAllister scored early on in the Ibrox leg and one of the lads forgot where he was and jumped up...much to the anger of a couple of bears sitting behind him.
    My old man managed to calm the situation down and ended up going for a beer with the two lads after the game.

A few days later he got a phonecall saying that if he wanted to bring me down for the game at elland road then there'd be a couple of tickets waiting for us and these guys and their supporters club would look after us.

I was 8 at the time and my old man eventually decided he would take me, ill never forget how scared i was going into Elland road, and how god damn hard it was to keep my mouth shut as the game wore on...especially as the leeds boys were singing some horrible songs about my hero ally!
    But it was worth every second at full time when Elland road was emptying and we went outside the ground to find that there were hundreds of Rangers fans having a party to themselves out there!
    Friggin Brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Ones that I wasn't there for:
    Whiteside scoring the winner in 86 cup final after Kev Moran was sent off.
    Beating Blackburn 3 - 1 in OT in 93. Pallister scoring from a free to have all our outfield players score in that season. The perfect way to celebrate the return of the league title. :D
    Nou Camp 99 - do you have to ask why?
    The standing ovation given by all at OT to Ronaldo. Sure we lost the game but it was played the United way attack attack attack.

Ones I was there for:
    1983: Ireland 1 - USSR 0. Mickey Walsh (?) scoring the winner. Brilliant atmosphere
    1986 Jack Charltons first match in charge. Tickets were surprisingly easy to come by, only about 23,000 attended if I remember correctly. Aldridge and Houghton making their debut. Southall breaking his leg and Rush scoring the winner :mad:
    1987 Ireland 1 - Brazil 0 Brady scoring the winner. http://youtube.com/watch?v=tarFsaOEzbw I was behind the goal to the right of the stewards in the white coats. Chippy gave a little shimmy and both the final defender and goalie gave a little half skip to their right at the same time and he put the ball into their left. You can't see them do the half jump at the same time in this shot, but it did happen.
    1989 - that friendly against France in Dalymount. Scary 30,000 odd people in Dalymount! And lashign rain so most of them were trying to get into the shed end. Well that's what it felt like.
    1989: seeing George Grahams full title winning Arsenal team get played off the pitch by Bohs, and still sneak a 3 - 2 win. Lukic was chipped from 30 yards for the first goal! The game was arranged at the last minute as Arsenal had a game cancelled and Graham still wanted them to play that week, so someone rang Bohs to arrange a midweek game.

Good thread btw.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Sure did. Have some great pics somewhere of the stadium. It was crazy. 3quarters of the ground was just orange then one big green section.

:confused:

You're talking about the Dutch game - we couldn't get tickets for that one:(, scrambling around outside the ground but they were just too expensive, feckin touts:mad:

Whelan scored agianst USSR, I was right behind the goal.

Advertisement