Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Banking

Options
  • 25-01-2008 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Alrite,

I was just wondering about free banking.... I have an account with AIB and as you know thay like their charges

Would I be right in saying that if I go in tomorrow to the AIB branch and say im closing my account unless I get free banking, would they buy it...

Otherwise what option do I have

Permanet ESB and Bank of Scotland, Rabodirect are the free banking ones??

Ta all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Do you use online banking? Do you have a maestro card (most people do at this stage)? If so, you should already qualify for free banking. Give your branch a ring and ask them for the details. At this stage, all the banks offer free banking (for normal banking - not the excess charges such as unauthorised overdrafts and unpaid DD/cheques etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

BOI told me today to qualify for free banking, all i have to do is make 3 payments using my online banking each month. she also told me this could be 3 seperate payments of 1 euro to my esb account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

abakan wrote: »
    Alrite,

I was just wondering about free banking.... I have an account with AIB and as you know thay like their charges

Would I be right in saying that if I go in tomorrow to the AIB branch and say im closing my account unless I get free banking, would they buy it...

Otherwise what option do I have

Permanet ESB and Bank of Scotland, Rabodirect are the free banking ones??

Ta all

They would buy it alright, they'll let you close it (At least I would anyhow). It's retarted when customers come out with this line everytime they have a problem. In fact you have to do so little to qualify for free banking it is retarded. For example AIB, one online debit transaction (pay a bill) and one Debit card transaction per quarter!!!!!! Yes two transactions every 3 months. Like FFS :rolleyes:

zuroph wrote: »
    BOI told me today to qualify for free banking, all i have to do is make 3 payments using my online banking each month. she also told me this could be 3 seperate payments of 1 euro to my esb account.

Wrong! It's during the quarter. http://www.bankofireland.ie/personal/day_to_day/current_account/standard_account/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

no such thing as free banking
    always read the fine print

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

so what about Permanent TSB??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes I have read that,

But when Snyper says there is no such thing as free banking, id like him to explain!!

Id like to know if there would be much cheaper in changing banks, from AIB to another one.
    I use my current account maybe 5-10 times a week, I have 2 direct debits coming out, a credit card

Just on that, do all banks charge when you transfer money from say AIB to BOI.The girl said that there would not be a charge but €5 was taking out in charges by AIB

They say no charges on transactions..

however.. one standing order thats late.. somtimes because it may not be ur fault.. they will ass rape you to the tune of 8 euros in some banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I've been with permanent tsb for nearly 2 years now and i've never been charged for anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

snyper wrote: »
    They say no charges on transactions..

however.. one standing order thats late.. somtimes because it may not be ur fault.. they will ass rape you to the tune of 8 euros in some banks.

Well in all fariness you made an agreement and did not stick to it, thats the fee for not doing it.

UB & PTSB are free banking for normal stuff you do with your account. Extras cost more and If you break the T&C you get done for it...simple really.

Well in all fariness you made an agreement and did not stick to it, thats the fee for not doing it.

UB & PTSB are free banking for normal stuff you do with your account. Extras cost more and If you break the T&C you get done for it...simple really.

Good point ;)

ok, i get yous
    AIB said to me today that if I use their laser card to pay for something or top up a mobile phone during the quater , I can get free banking.

Now its just €20 for a laser card of them............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

This cracks me up.

Some people have no problem with paying over the odds for:

- Entry to sh*t nightclubs
    - Pints in jammed pubs after regular closing time
    - Mediocre food with apathetic service
    - Solicitors fees
    - Architect fees
    - Dubious automobile repair charges and labour costs
    - CDs and DVDs that can be half the price online

but cannot stomach a few euro every quarter in bank charges.
    Instead they run in to the branches like spoiled children screaming 'give me free banking. I'm such a good customer. I deserve it'.
    Not realising of course, that the bank, like any other business, provides a service and is entitled to charge for it.

They are quite willing to uproot and change banks if their demands are not granted.

Which is definitely not plain sailing no matter how many 'account switcher' procedures are brought in.

- Errors / delays with salary payments because your employer 'forgot' to amend their payroll system to reflect your new account details.
    - Standing orders and direct debits unpaid because the originators try and process them to the old account.
    - A good credit history with one institution wiped out.

All for the sake of a few euro in charges.

What Bank Do You Work With? ^ :d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

zuroph wrote: »

What they neglected to tell you is that you also need to keep a balance of €500+ in the account for the majority of that quarter.

nlgbbbbth makes a good point, but what he doesn't mention is that Irish banks ripped us off for years, before foreign banks moved into the market, with high fees and abominal interest rates on savings accounts and that banks make the vast vast majority of their money from interest fees in loans, credit cards and mortgages, not on day to day banking by customers or small scale transactions.

nlgbbbblth? U pay for getting ripped of all you like, god help us all not wanting to give a MultiMillion coporate bank more of our hard earned cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Wertz wrote: »
    What they neglected to tell you is that you also need to keep a balance of €500+ in the account for the majority of that quarter.

Wrong.

Its one or the other not both t&c to be meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Oh right, that wasn't the deal the time they wrote to me about it. They must have since changed. Irregardless I fulfil both obligations and avail of fre banking....I paid for it for long enough.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    This cracks me up.

Some people have no problem with paying over the odds for:

- Entry to sh*t nightclubs
    - Pints in jammed pubs after regular closing time
    - Mediocre food with apathetic service
    - Solicitors fees
    - Architect fees
    - Dubious automobile repair charges and labour costs
    - CDs and DVDs that can be half the price online

but cannot stomach a few euro every quarter in bank charges.
    Instead they run in to the branches like spoiled children screaming 'give me free banking. I'm such a good customer. I deserve it'.
    Not realising of course, that the bank, like any other business, provides a service and is entitled to charge for it.

They are quite willing to uproot and change banks if their demands are not granted.

Which is definitely not plain sailing no matter how many 'account switcher' procedures are brought in.

- Errors / delays with salary payments because your employer 'forgot' to amend their payroll system to reflect your new account details.
    - Standing orders and direct debits unpaid because the originators try and process them to the old account.
    - A good credit history with one institution wiped out.

All for the sake of a few euro in charges.

Here here. Anyone who complains to me is reminded of that. Banks provide a service. The two main banks in this country have over 500 branches between them where you can transact the vast majority of your personal business and thousands of ATM's which you can withdraw money and pay bills from.

Let's take Dublin for example:

BOI - 54 branches
    AIB - 50+ branches
    PTSB - 33 branches
    Ulster - 24 branches
    NIB - 14 branches
    Halifax - 12 branches

So looking at BOI, it has nearly 5 times the amount of branches that Halifax have; nearly 5 times more places when you can do business in. Not bad for a few euro in fees. And as well as that every bank is practically out there telling you how to save on fees! So if you are smart enough, you will pay very little in the year. I guess some people just like to bitch and moan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

PTSB's accounts have shown that it isn't necessary to charge for anything that falls within the T&C.

Your arguements might have some weight if the major banks didn't make 10s of millions in profits every year. Clearly they don't need these fees, they only charge them to make profit. Something they already do enough of.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

stepbar wrote: »
    So if you are smart enough, you will pay very little in the year. I guess some people just like to bitch and moan.
    The crazy thing is I'm with BOI and with 365 online I'd actually have to go out of my way not to qualify for free day to day banking. One online non-direct debit transaction a month is all it takes.

delos wrote: »
    The crazy thing is I'm with BOI and with 365 online I'd actually have to go out of my way not to qualify for free day to day banking. One online non-direct debit transaction a month is all it takes.

I know. It's a pity all of BOI's customers didn't have the same attidute.

Advertisement