Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Coolaney

Options
  • 25-01-2008 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,
    A member of my family has just moved to Coolaney and is having difficulty accessing broadband, does anyone hear know who provides it out there?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have no idea myself but this may help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Hi,
    A member of my family has just moved to Coolaney and is having difficulty accessing broadband, does anyone hear know who provides it out there?

Thanks

Does he live in a Development out there? Might be worth asking a neighbour or two if they have it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

We live there and the only one we could get was Fastcom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I don't think 3G will work there either?

I don't think any of the mobile ones will work here.
    We've been told Vodafone doesn't work here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Broadband in Coolaney? That's a bit optimistic, considering dinosaurs still roam there:D

We have broadband and dinosaurs:D
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/1468538881/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

There's a fastcom mast on the mountains outside coolaney, if you can see that from your house then you can get broadband. Also, hi magnumlady, welcome to coolaney. :)

Thanks Brian.....I've only been here 17 years!:D

Pfft, still not a local! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I am living close to Ballymote but apparently served by the coolaney exchange and I have broadband. What are Eircom saying about it

Pfft, still not a local! :D

In this area I'll never be a local:D

I was in touch with Eircom a couple of weeks ago and they said their broadband wasn't available here.

Eircom hate their customers. My aunt has a house phone and got "broadband" that was barely faster than dial up. She lives beside us, two miles out from coolaney, but you must be a different side of the village ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LaughingMatter

Eircom has said (more than once) "you can't get broadband there yet", when it'd be a bit more honest to say "Our competitors got it up and running. We didn't."

The Fastcom installer guy told me what brianthebard said above - If you can see the mast, you're in.
    No obstructions tolerated, though - not one leaf.

You can see Fastcom's coverage at
    http://www.fastcom.ie/coverage.php

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Eircom has said (more than once) "you can't get broadband there yet", when it'd be a bit more honest to say "Our competitors got it up and running. We didn't."

Well in fairness, do you honestly expect them to tell you about one of their competitors offering something they don't. It helps out the competition and it also loses them a potential customer in the future. Hell, if you can run skype on fastcoms service then it could lose them a current customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Im in Coolaney and run blueface on my connection, works great. also the 2MB UP/Down works great for VPN connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Just been reading the news section on Ocean FM website and this caught my eye:
    Approximately 80 percent of people in County Sligo have access to broadband.

I find this very hard to believe. Can anyone verify this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

genie wrote: »
    Just been reading the news section on Ocean FM website and this caught my eye:

I find this very hard to believe. Can anyone verify this?

There is much discussion on this over on the broadband forum. Apparently that figure may include mobile broadband which isn't really broadband.

Thanks, I thought it didn't sound quite right.

http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mheysnsnsn&cat=news

Esp. the Editor's note at the bottom of the article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

There is much discussion on this over on the broadband forum. Apparently that figure may include mobile broadband which isn't really broadband.

Huh?
    What does that mean exactly?:confused:

Is anyone on Perlico? I rang them the other day for the lolz, the woman I was talking to said they had 97% coverage of Sligo, you didn't need to see the mast and Coolaney was covered. However I noticed they are part of the vodafone group so I was wondering if what she was offering was only available with those new 3g modems. Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I got broadband in from Fastcom 2 weeks back & it's pretty decent in terms of speed etc - took about a week for them to instal & though they'd a few problems with the wiring on the first day, they came back out & sorted it the day after.

Not sure about the technical data on uploads etc, but it's as fast & more reliable than most connections I've used in Sligo (work, internet cafes, friends houses) - but the mast isn't too far from the house, so that may have a bearing on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JB1

Same here..broadband from Fastcom (allthough I have home professional) it is extremly quick..(am lucky there, virtually living beside the mast in D-west).Can't complain about their service, they were a bit slow in installing it (had to wait 4 weeks for an installation date and than the installer guy broke his toe and couldn't get up on a ladder..:rolleyes:)..but once set up, perfect!
    Subsequently, kicked my home phone line out,only using cell and got a lot of hassle from Eircom..trying to sell me a new account...pffffffffff..loosers.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sligome

i live in coolaney but if you have a tree in front of your house fast com wont work, well it will in winter but not in summer. you literally have to see mast from your house, no obsticles.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 taheen

yes you will have to cut the tree. Few people had to cut few trees (i'd say Greenpeace hates wireless providers).

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sligome

i dont think i could cut this tree, it is about 30 ft tall and very old and in someones garden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Dynamite is fast & effective!

Or you could always fix the fastcom reciver ON the tree. Problem solved! :D

Advertisement