Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mobile Handsfree and ipod solution?

Options
  • 25-01-2008 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Is there a solution to this question?
    I want to install a Bluetooth handsfree in a jeep but also want to get an ipod playing audio through the stereo?

Is there unit on the market yet that can handle mobile calls through the stereo (like a parrot) as well as digital audio from an ipod?

There probably isn't, but i thought I'd just ask.

Thanks,

Irish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

get a bluetooth headset,theyre dirt cheap and a connector for your ipod to go thru cigarette lighter and the fm stereo.
    Ive got both and they work a charm,
    And then if u need to change cars,there's no hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

there is an item called a bluetouch. that does what you're looking for. used one in a work car once, it's pretty good.

http://www.bluetouch.de/

btdisplay_iPhone.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

colm_mcm wrote: »
    there is an item called a bluetouch. that does what you're looking for. used one in a work car once, it's pretty good.

http://www.bluetouch.de/

btdisplay_iPhone.jpg

Hi Colm,

Thanks for the lead.
    You dont know a rough price do you?
    Also, do you have to plug in your ipod into it - or is it done wirelessly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭kyote00

Many new stereo head unit support bluetooth and have either usb or aux in socket on the front on the car....I recently got a Sony unit which does this....

The issue with streaming mp3 over bluetooth is that it will reduce your battery time so you will need to ensure that you have your ipod/mp3 plugged into the cigarette lighter for longer journeys !

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hi Colm,

Thanks for the lead.
    You dont know a rough price do you?
    Also, do you have to plug in your ipod into it - or is it done wirelessly?

The ipod plugs in (in the glovebox)

Ring Cartronics in Santry Hall, they fit them.
    01 8623644

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

chris85 wrote: »

Great........and tell me please. Would a stereo headunit like this "pair" with my phone to enable me to go handfree like a handfree car kit? Is that what the blutooth is for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Great........and tell me please. Would a stereo headunit like this "pair" with my phone to enable me to go handfree like a handfree car kit? Is that what the blutooth is for?

Afaik it would pair, I would check some reviews for it somewhere and check that out to make sure it would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

What about getting a Garmin

You can use it as a phone kit and an mp3 player too.

oh yeah, they have sat nav too apparently :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

chris85 wrote: »

not really ideal IMO i did this and the feckin input cable droops down on the gear stick and the actual jack protrudes too much from the front of the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I had a standard nokia bluetooth kit installed in my car. I then bought a connects2 iPod cable from deals-on-ice.co.uk and installed it myself.

I have bluetooth & full control of my iPod, via the radio & steering wheel. Also the bluetooth mutes the iPod/CD/Radio during phone calls, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Yeah - have Sony Car kit - that is routed through car speakers - also automatically mutes

Also Dension iPod kit - similar to Connects2 - have cradle in boot (instead of in car) - easy to install, charges iPod - and can control through stereo (stereo thinks it's a cd changer - first 5 playlists are 5 cd's)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I just bought the Sony MEX BT5000 for just over 200 quid.
    It has excellent bluetooth support (two devices connected at the same time, BT audo streaming, etc), and includes the XA-110iP iPod interface for native access to your iPod. It is the US version, so may have some slight issues with tuning some radio stations on minor frequencies. 212 euro delivered to your door (or $313).

It's currently 338 euro on Pixmania (without the iPod interface). :eek:

*Edit*: Nearly forgot. eBay Link.

I just bought the Sony MEX BT5000 for just over 200 quid.
    It has excellent bluetooth support (two devices connected at the same time, BT audo streaming, etc), and includes the XA-110iP iPod interface for native access to your iPod. It is the US version, so may have some slight issues with tuning some radio stations on minor frequencies. 212 euro delivered to your door (or $313).

It's currently 338 euro on Pixmania (without the iPod interface). :eek:

*Edit*: Nearly forgot. eBay Link.

Hi Krusty,

yeah, i saw this unit online and read a review of it and some stated that they felt the phone was poor at motorway speeds etc. Have you installed it and do you find that? Also, where do you plug in your ipod into it? is the input in the front or the rear or where?
    re; the fm radio - does the tuner not go from 88fm to 108fm? Really nice looking unit tho.

To answer your question, I haven't received it yet (hopefully today/tomorrow). I read many reviews though, and only one mentioned poor mobile phone volume/reception. But I guess a lot depends on the ambient/engine noise in your vehicle.

It comes with the XA-110iP interface, which plugs into the read of the headunit, but which I will either position in the glove-box or just below the stereo. Not sure yet. The lead doesn't look very long so will probably be the shelf just below the headunit.

The FM frequency range is fine. I understand (from doing a search on this forum) that some folks had a problem with even numbered frequencies, which you can read more about here.
    I've owned US radios before though and have never had a problem, so I'm hoping that if there is a problem I can sort it out (or live with it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭SecureSounds

Krusty, just to let you no mate the American spec units do not have RDS, Correct tuner, an ISO loom or warranty, would have been better off getting it in Europe for the extra few bob.

€100.00 or so extra is well worth it for the missing bits.

As said above a little hard to be heard on the other end of the line at higher speeds due to the mic being built into the unit rather than a seperate one that you can position on the A piller etc.

do you reckon this would be any good - looks a bit Clumsey????:(

http://www.handsfreemirror.com

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

I recently bough a sony mex bt2500 headunit. Has an aux input on the front and pairs with the phone through bluetooth. Also has bluetooth audio streaming but I don't use that. I just have the mp3 player running through the aux input (looks like a headphone connection.)

Also, beware of buying units with USB inputs if you want to use an ipod. I seem to recall them not working with the standard USB headunits for some reason, open to correction on this though.

I'd highly recommend the sony unit, got mine for €120 on holidays recently but they can be delivered from ebay for a similar price. Only downside is you can't control the ipod from the headunit, but once you get a cradle for it thats not an issue really.

Krusty, just to let you no mate the American spec units do not have RDS, Correct tuner, an ISO loom or warranty, would have been better off getting it in Europe for the extra few bob.

€100.00 or so extra is well worth it for the missing bits.

As said above a little hard to be heard on the other end of the line at higher speeds due to the mic being built into the unit rather than a seperate one that you can position on the A piller etc.
    The difference is a lot more than 100 euro. Pixmania (probably the cheapest seller of the European product) sells it for 130 euro more, and that doesn't include the iPod adapter (figure on at least another 50 euro). That's 180 euro in the difference (or around 55% of the cost of buying the European version). Then go have a look at the prices in the Irish brick and mortar shops.

The missing RDS and ISO loom is acceptable for me to save 180 euro.

Advertisement