Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use a cleaning brush for your CENTREFIRE rifle?

Options
  • 25-01-2008 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering (hope I get this poll thing right).

Centrefires only please, no rimfires or shotguns.

It's only meant to be a friendly survey now, don't be getting too serious about it ;)

Do you use a brush to clean your rifle? 6 votes

No
    0% 0 votes
    Yes
    100% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Absolutely , and i buy plenty at a time , good bronze ones and nylon ones.
    Tipton fiberglass rod and there ain't nothing gos down that bore thats harder than the steel in the lands and grooves .

I do aim (No pun intended ) to get the barrel back to bare metal or as close as i can , every time i shoot it . I will keep brushing and patching alternating between carbon removal and copper removal until the patch comes out clean.

Then i run some carb cleaner through it on patches , a couple of dry patches, followed up by some kroil .

I will dry patch again before i shoot it .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The answer is a definite 'sortof'

Was shooting the FAL this weekend. Barrel was generally handily dealt with with the boresnake, which has a bit of a brass brush component. The piston chamber received a .45 cal brush. Chamber area on an M-16 almost always gets a brush, as it's far better at getting into those corners on the locking lugs than a cloth is.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I do defo, I think you have to

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

pooh, i need a proper clamp rest to clean my rifle. sniffle sniffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

The debris is being forced into the barrel at 40-60000 pounds/Sq inch when shooting so using a brush is relatively minor force on the barrel.

Marlyman I found Black and decker type workmate is just as effective and it doubles as a reloading table.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

I dont use a brush anymore on advice from a gunsmith. I just use patches and solvent for cleaning, and when clean, dry out with a patch then use a good gunoil on a patch to finish up.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

what are you on about? what are these strange thing of which you talk? Solvent??? bronze brushes??????? Patches?????????
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Yeah ... exactly !!

Where's "BARRY SCOTT" when you really need him ??? eh ? eh ? eh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmyzx

Sure do! It doesn't seem like I cleaned it without a few strokes of a brush!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Boresnake and silicone oil on the hornet. Has anyone ever used brake cleaner ( as in car brakes ) or is that too abresive even when patched out straightaway ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Its kinda necessary Imo!!
    It gets the vast majority of the fouling!!
    Impossible to get all of it out once the rifle is fired but i sure try!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

i just use the last bullet in the mag:D:D

Advertisement