Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tires for an Octavia? What brand? Wheres good?

Options
  • 25-01-2008 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

I do like Perelli, anyone know of better? I dont want to spend too much.
    Whats best for Irish conditions?

Wheres a reasonable place to get tires done?

How much would 4 Perellis cost fitted / balanced ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

worded wrote: »
    I do like Perelli, anyone know of better? I dont want to spend too much.
    Whats best for Irish conditions?

Wheres a reasonable place to get tires done?

How much would 4 Perellis cost fitted / balanced ?

Alot depends on the size required. I got 5 new Perelli's (205 / 60 / 15) on a Seat Toledo about four years ago for €370, fitted and balanced, by East Coast Alloy's in Ardee. Best off shopping around, prices will vary even between branches of the same supplier (Fast Fit for example) Thornton's on the South Circular Road (Dublin) are generally very reasonable for pricing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Does an Octavia need high end tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I always find Pirellis I've had wear out quicker than other brands of tyres. good grip though.

There is no "best tyre" you need to figure out what type of driving you're doing, and what you expect from a tyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I always find Pirellis I've had wear out quicker than other brands of tyres. good grip though.

There is no "best tyre" you need to figure out what type of driving you're doing, and what you expect from a tyre.

Depends of the model of Pirelli.
    I had my P7000 for 5 years, just changed them the last year.
    I paid around 200 euro for each one (235/17")

Mine were P6000,

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Mine were P6000,

Yeah classic tires for cars out of factory

Mine came with Kumho Ectsa's from factory IIRC. they were brutal, the Pirellis were far more grippy.

Anyway I dealt with Coby Autos regarding my tyres on the Naas road, just before the red cow, he had really good prices, tyres were made in Taiwaan, was not sure, but he insured me they were grant, so I trusted the man and I have to say they are very good. Been over a year now, very good quality on all weather.

ever heard of the vRS !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I used H-rated non-directional Federal's on my TDI. I rate them 8/10 for grip and 10/10 for wear. I used to get them for around 65 euro /piece fitted. They've probably gone up a couple of euro the last couple of months but they're still cheap enough. If you want to know who stocks them PM me.
    By the way, that car used to do starship mileage ( +60k miles/year).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

WHITE_P wrote: »
    ever heard of the vRS !!!

Indeed I did. Thta needs high end tyres ok.

However the vast majority of Octavia's in Ireland are 1.4 wheezing petrols, or 1.9 tractorlike diesels. A vast choice of "ordinary" tyres are able to handle the limited demands of these bad boys ;)

He was asking about tyres anyway, so why question the make of car. Ref. JD Power car, survey to see how good Skoda's actually are. By the way I've nothing against Ford's either, owned a few over the years and couldn't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

300K miles on the original engine in a 90 BHP TDI. Have seen many a diesel mondeo popping the chain way before that.:D

He was asking about tyres anyway, so why question the make of car. Ref. JD Power car, survey to see how good Skoda's actually are. By the way I've nothing against Ford's either, owned a few over the years and couldn't complain.

Because he mentioned a Skoda Octavia specifically. Strange reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

I used H-rated non-directional Federal's on my TDI. I rate them 8/10 for grip and 10/10 for wear. I used to get them for around 65 euro /piece fitted. They've probably gone up a couple of euro the last couple of months but they're still cheap enough. If you want to know who stocks them PM me.
    By the way, that car used to do starship mileage ( +60k miles/year).

I will have a look at these. I realise the Octavia TDi is not a performance car but a suitable set of tires can save a few K or a life or two.

Pirelli I really liked in the past, but I dont know what size wheels I have now
    (standard I think) Will check and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Tire quote - 9th Lock Road - Cheery Orchard Tires

Tire size 195/95/15

Dunlop 380
    Bridgestone 380
    Michelin Kleber 380

He said the Michelin Kleber are on special - are they good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

cue a classic Richard Hammond quote -
    "Are skoda's cool??, No! They're volkeswagons for mean people"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

worded wrote: »
    Tire quote - 9th Lock Road - Cheery Orchard Tires

Tire size 195/95/15

Dunlop 380
    Bridgestone 380
    Michelin Kleber 380

He said the Michelin Kleber are on special - are they good?

I took it as a 65 profile , and not 95 as you posted - the 95 profile must be off your wheel barrow in the garden shed.:D
    You could get them from eiretyres.com - budget tyre and reasonably priced. not pirelli's i know, but an option.

KR17 - Kenetica 195/65 R15 91T KR17-Kenetica.jpg
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] [/FONT]
    KR17 ( KENETICA - Passenger Car Tyre ) # Random variable pitch tread arrangement significantly reduces noise. # High modulus low shrinkage carcass enhances driving comfort. # Excellent grip.
    Our price only EUR 51,80
    Postage and packaging are included in the price!

€207.20 Delivered to the door within the week...........get them all on for €60 - and your €113 up to spend on a weekend away!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

There are loads of different types of Pirelli tyres, so can't compare prices unless we know what one. I wasn't that impressed with the P6000's, P5000's are much better.
    You could go high end and opt for P Zero's, but they're dear. (there's even 2 or more types of P Zeros!)
    Bridgestone/Pirelli/Dunlop/Good Year are the main brands that I like for grip.
    Michelin are long lasting, but the grip goes long before the tread does.

Advertisement