Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boring train question

Options
  • 25-01-2008 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

Hi, Going to stay in Galway soon for the w'end. Was wondering how long in advance I'd have to book a train ticket (from Dublin) to get it cheap? It currently showing €47 return but does this go up the sooner to the time I book?

Cheers for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

na same price im afraid,
    check if citylink buses are doing any offers-i know they doing one on cork-galway
    also i flew aer arann galway-dublin while back 40E return

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Book a flight in time and you will get here chepaer than a train and it will only take around 30 minutes to fly (plus the 2 hours it takes to get to Dublin Airport from Dublin City centre at peak hours, the 2 hours you have to be in the airport before take off, another hour sitting on the tarmac to allow Aer Lingus and Ryanair who have priority slots, and of course, the bus from Shannon because there was a bit of wind in Galway Airport - it is only a garden shed with a big driveway after all)

Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Don't fly, short domestic flights are the most polluting. Train or bus is more environmentally responsible and, as previous poster points out, by the time you've got through check-in etc flying wouldn't save you much time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Train is best domestic option. Better than a cramped bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Bus is the cheapest option (City link routes are possibly the cheapest, €14 return), but there's no toilet factilities. So bus for cheapness, and train for comfort.

I recommend taking the bus, as the citylink buses take around the same time as a train would. There is a Citylink bus stop on Burgh Quay.

Advertisement