Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who Is Responsible???

Options
  • 25-01-2008 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I don't know if there has been a thread like this before.
    But i do a lot of driving around Dublin and the other parts of the country, As everybody knows the roads are in a terrible state.
    If i hit a pot hole and its that deep, that the bottom of the bumper scrapes the ground, one of them ones you cant avoid, Who Is Responsible????
    With all the road tax we pay we should be driving on streets of gold, should we be able to claim off the government???
    Or what about when we just valet our cars and drive through a place where there is construction going on filthy car and on top of that theres a big concrete truck in front of you and its raining stones and the windscreen gets cracked. Do we chase the driver down and make him pay.
    Who's responsible???
    Just a few things that bug me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If your vehicle is damaged by you driving correctly for the conditions on poor roads - e.g. due to potholes - you have the ability to make a claim against the council. Theres a few on here that have claimed for tyres or alloy wheels due to pothole damage I believe. You'd need to get photographic proof of the hole, for a starter.

If stones come off a construction vehicle and damage your vehicle the driver/owner/insurer of said vehicle is liable. Take down their reg and contact the company - name is very likely on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

MYOB wrote: »
    If your vehicle is damaged by you driving correctly for the conditions on poor roads - e.g. due to potholes - you have the ability to make a claim against the council. Theres a few on here that have claimed for tyres or alloy wheels due to pothole damage I believe. You'd need to get photographic proof of the hole, for a starter.

If stones come off a construction vehicle and damage your vehicle the driver/owner/insurer of said vehicle is liable. Take down their reg and contact the company - name is very likely on the back.

You cannot claim off council if pothole formed over time. Only possible to claim if they made a poor repair so if you damage car on roadworks, yes you have a case or on pothole where there is evidence of loose chips etc but generally they are not responsible. A legal document making them responsible exists but was never brought into law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Hooky 25

streets of gold

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

mickdw wrote: »
    You cannot claim off council if pothole formed over time. Only possible to claim if they made a poor repair so if you damage car on roadworks, yes you have a case or on pothole where there is evidence of loose chips etc but generally they are not responsible. A legal document making them responsible exists but was never brought into law.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

My brother ruined one of his alloys on his alfa romero on a pothole in Mayo and the county council just laughed at him when he tried to get them to pay for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

One solution to the pothole problem would be to circle and fill every large pothole with bright colour paint to warn of its potential hazzard. (Just make sure you don't get hit by by doing so!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Hooky 25 wrote: »
    on top of that theres a big concrete truck in front of you and its raining stones and the windscreen gets cracked. Do we chase the driver down and make him pay.
    Who's responsible???
    Just a few things that bug me.

If the truck is coming the other way it may be long gone by the time you have a chance to do anything about it. It happened to me recently, except the (large) stones were already in the middle of the road and a truck coming the other way drove over them and bang straight into my windscreen. Luckily I had windscreen cover, but the front bumpers were dented and scratched as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

mickdw wrote: »
    Nonfeasance vs misfeasance
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malfeasance

Advertisement