Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballycotton 10 - Course details?

• 25-01-2008 10:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

As a first time Ballycotton runner this year (hopefully - all going well) i was wondering if i could solicit the opinion of people who have ran here before. Could you give me any information on the course - is it hilly, flat, or varied. If you can give me any idea of the course it might help me !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Crowded start, so get there early if you don't want to be at the back.

First mile or two downhill, handy enough.

Miles 3 4 5 I find tough, gentle incline, always seem to be into the wind, I always seems to lose a bit of time here.

Miles 6 7 8 always fastest miles for me, love this part, maybe slight decline, relatively sheltered from wind.

Last 2 miles uphill, everyone always complains about the killer finish, but I don't find it too bad once you are ready for it / have kept a little in reserve.

I personally find it tough, although I know a fair few poeple who think it's easy. The windy roads and the slight inclines take it out of me, so I think it's tough in a fair kind of a way. You can definitely do a good time there, but you'll have to work hard for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Marathon_Man

First time for me this year as well!

I believe there is a downhill in the first mile and then out in a loop. Uphill from around mile 9 to the finish.

Have a look at the elevation on the course here http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ireland/cork/453900739

Down in Cork next weekend so might try to do a recon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Popsicle

I'm another first timer over this course! My friends assure me its tough enough!!! Definitely keep something for the end though! I have watched people suffer as they come back in to the village!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

I have done the run a good few times now. The course is basically spoon shaped - out the road for a few miles, a loop and back the same road.
    The first mile or so is flat/downhill, but due to the volume of people, you will be hard pressed to do your expected pace per mile in this first mile, unless you ar enear the front. After the first mile it seems to thin out a bit and you can pass people, as the downhill benefit wears off and people hit their real pace.
    The course in general is flat(ish) for middle 7 or so miles, but last mile and a half is uphill. There is a sharp rise for about 300 or 400 m, and then it flattens out to a gentle incline!
    keep something in the bag for this sharp bit. Mainly as there is still a mile to go, but also there is always a good crowd at this stage, and they will cheer you on, and you will feel great if you can cruise up the hill, with the cheers of the spectators.
    The road rises and rises (gently) until about 100 m before the finish line.
    Normally there are about 4 water stations (proper info will be on website before race)
    A few tips for pre/post race:
    1. Due to the location of ballycotton, you will not be allowed to drive into the village. In the past few years they have arranged shuttle buses from various outlying locations (Garyvoe hotel for example) As you approach ballycotton by car, you will be stopped and told where to park. Repeat - You will not get into the village. Get there early so you can get the bus and leave yourself time to get read/wam up/stay dry. If you can arrange it, you could bring a bike in your car, park your car, and cycle in. Saves hassle on getting bus
    2. Bring a few plastic bags for your gear. You will leave your gear in a field near the start. If it is raining, and you ony have one bag, you will have wet gear - not pleasant after a 10 miler, and it is raining, and cold!
    3. If you got the shuttle bus in you need to get the shuttle bus out again. Lots of people will be getting the bus, so it could mean a bit of a wait (possibly in cold and wet)
    4. If you are feeling very energetic, you could park your car and run in, and out. as a warm up/warm down.
    5. As Ballycotton is by the sea, there is nearly always a stiff breeze, so be aware of this for your pre/post race clothing.
    6. There are a good few pubs around for a well earned pint after the race!
    7. Check out http://corkrunning.blogspot.com/ for details on the race a bit closer to the date. John posts some good information on this website about each upcoming race.
    8. Finally, remember to enjoy the run. Smile and thank the kids out on the route that are filling their own cups with water for you. There is something special about the whole run. Dunno what it is, but once you do it, you'll want to do it again next year. I can't explain why there is such a great turnout for this 10 miler (considering there are other 10 milers around and Ballycotton is race 3 of a 4 race 10 miler series) but there always is, and in December you will be logging on to the ballycotton website, looking for the entry form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

Sounds good... apart from the uphill finish !

Running 6 mile tomorrow (allegedly) so will be good to see how the training is going (week 4).

• Advertisement
Advertisement