Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodgate.....interesting.

Options
  • 25-01-2008 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭sew

wouldn't mind a head like woody at the lane, like when playing with confidence, he is quality....maybe ramos could work him magic on him too....

Woodgate opens talks with Spurs

Comments

this is terrible news...he's another sicknote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭sew

this is terrible news...he's another sicknote.

i tend to differ, granted he has had injury problems, but fairness to the guy he was excellent - for boro last season, and also the beginning of this season, he got suspended i think then picked up a small injury and cant get his position back, because wheather keeps scoring..... just my opinion:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Could go either way - If he stayed fit, to be honest I would prefer him over Pascal - Woodgate is a proper defender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

John W wrote: »
    Could go either way - If he stayed fit, to be honest I would prefer him over Pascal - Woodgate is a proper defender.

Agree. Definite upgrade on what we have. A defender who can defend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

£7M seems a lot to me - but then we just sold Barnard to Southend!

Tiago looks on again also - i'm happy enough with squad, Ramos has a magic wand:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Woodgate passes medical (surprising). Done deal really.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭RingoSpur

according to sky sports news the deal will be complete tomorrow. Only time will tell if it will pay off buying him because he's spent so much time injured. It also looks like gilberto from hertha berlin will sign too.

think about it this way - gardner will bugger oof in the summer for 3 m - so woodgate really only costs us 4m, that not counting Rocha going too.... so it could be a rotation with dawson.

Ledley or Woodgate coming in with him, to give him an experienced head to play alongside, and may aid Kaboul. aso anyone think Ramos may be thinking 5-3-2 with gilberto, bale, hutton, lennon as flying wing backs?? Might be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

its how he played at seville

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

After completing medical yday and agreeing terms ,woodgate looked set to sign today until a while ago Boro saying a 3rd club has met their valaution , sky sports sources reckon arsenal are the 3rd club...those cnuts are gonna whip him from under our noses!!!... nnnooooooooooo !!!!!

• Advertisement

turns out now news is he has rejected the scum....already a legend in my eys if he keeps up that opinion till he signs on the dotted line...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

BERBA wrote: »
    sky sports sources reckon arsenal are the 3rd club...those cnuts are gonna whip him from under our noses!!!... nnnooooooooooo !!!!!

Bastards, i was hoping he'd come

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

Done.....next. Absolute super signing. Granted a little bit ropey with injuries but I think signing Woodgate is a big step for us. Really I have gone right off Dawson this season. Granted he hadn't been playing with King for most of the season but that Schmeichel against united confirmed whatr I thought. Great athlete, great heart and commitment to Spurs but he actually doesn't have any kind of footballing brain. He is nothing more than a battering ram. Great to head a ball or put in a tackle but can't read the game. As for the 7m spent on Woodgate, it really seems a steal to be bringing in a tried and tested centre back for that money than spending 22m on other areas of the pitch on players with no track record. We might just about have the most injury prone CB's in the premiership but should be super on their day.

COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Good addition if he stays fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭rocky25

Woodgate is a good edition and it looks like Hutton could be joining us as well.
    The transfer deadline is Thursday, so hope he will be with us by then.

At last we are buying players fior the positions where we need it most.

Jennas and Tanio are our base in misfield, throw in O'Hara and Lennon.
    Berby and Keano up front and that just leaves the back four to sort out.
    Ramos is a very shrewd manager and his new firness regime and diet seems to be working.

Hope it's the start of some more Glory years.

Cheers all,

Rocky Oldspur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Apparently he has played 72% of all games at Borough so maybe he is starting to come good, and one thing is for sure, under Ramos he will be fit!
    Like everyone has said, if he stays fit I think it is a good bit of business. Hutton would really be a boost, I mean imagine if we had a solid back four - we are up there with Man U and ARSE on goals scored, so if we could do the same in defence, BANG! We are a top 4 side, really true story!:D

WOW.....WOOOOW......WOW.....

Let therebe no talk of top four yet...the team might hear us and crack under pressure again! ;)

Delighted to see Woodgate at the team, as i said before... maybe the 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 ramo played at the Riazor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Great signing. Woodgate and king at the centre of defence..but the whispers about King are not going away regarding his injuries..Are we just resting him or is he really only gonna be able to play 1 game in 3 like some media commentators are saying??. Would be a disaster coz when he's in the team we look alot more composed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

sew wrote: »
    WOW.....WOOOOW......WOW.....

Let therebe no talk of top four yet...the team might hear us and crack under pressure again! ;)

Delighted to see Woodgate at the team, as i said before... maybe the 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 ramo played at the Riazor!

Do Deportivo not play at the Riazor :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Excellent. 8mill for a top defender, All we need now is Tiago on the left and a holding MF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

Delighted with Woodgate signing on. Was told around lunch time yesterday that Woodgate had signed for Arsenal! I was calling him and Wenger every name under the Sun then heard later on that he signed for Spurs!!! I quickly took back all I said about him.... Not Wenger though!!! :D:):D

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Do Deportivo not play at the Riazor :-)

touche..hatch touche

Meant when seville played away to deportivo in the Riazor :):):D

El Stadio Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

good news, badly needed IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 steve_thfc

Really pleased with the Woodgate and Hutton signings. I just hope Woody stays fit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

Good news.....much better than "Fred".I just hope the fibrous tissue in his hamstrings holds together for a few years......

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Did anyone see the game last night versus Everton - how did Woodgate play ?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Didnt see the game but we kept a clean sheet against a team 4th in Premiership, so thats not a bad result.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

He wasn't too bad last night from what I saw (only saw the highlights I'm afraid). One instance of a high foot which the Toffee's weren't happy about, but he looked on the ball otherwise - seemed to be covering as the last man infront of keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Cant have done a whole lot wrong since we kept a clean sheet - long may it continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

Cant have done a whole lot wrong since we kept a clean sheet - long may it continue.

Sky had them as their Man of the Match - looked ok to me not spectacular but his partner was Huddlestone. Looks like a big step out. He did not play for Boro in LC and is eligible for final but was he signed in time?

Advertisement