Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nissan Patrol

• 25-01-2008 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi everybody,

I'm thinking of buying a 2000, Nissan Patrol 3.0 Commercial. Never driven a Nissan before. At the mo I'm driving a Mitsubishi Pajero Exceed lwb. 18 years old now, and not getting any saver for the long trips. I'm hoovering between another Mitsubishi, a Toyota Landcruiser or the Nissan.

How does the Nissan compaire to the other two?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

Big SUV's you are looking at!
    I like the nissans and they have built up a good reputation for there four wheel drive range. I have an XTRAIL dSI and have loved it. If I was to get another I would have liked the Nissan Nivara as you get everything, five seats and loads of load space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

mjffey wrote: »
    Hi everybody,

I'm thinking of buying a 2000, Nissan Patrol 3.0 Commercial. Never driven a Nissan before. At the mo I'm driving a Mitsubishi Pajero Exceed lwb. 18 years old now, and not getting any saver for the long trips. I'm hoovering between another Mitsubishi, a Toyota Landcruiser or the Nissan.

How does the Nissan compaire to the other two?

They are a good olde workshorse these - out since 99 or 98 i think in the same shape more or less.
    Very cumfy bus........watch for suspension bushes etc. Good engine - go for an auto if possible.

loads in the uk for sales.......best choice tbh. see -
    http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/NISSAN+PATROL/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146,N-86-147-180-4294965034-4294967243/search.action

loads of nice examples there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

commercials usually have electric heated leather seats and all the toys, they are quite wide and low, so space in the back isn't as useful as a Pajero or Cruiser. I'd prefer the 2.8 6 cylinder to the newer 3.0 four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

Nice cars on autotrader, although pricewise not much difference between Ireland and N-I. At the moment I'm looking at a 2001, 76.000 miles for 10.000 euro asking price. I have to go to Dublin (2 hours drive) but it might be worth the trip.

Another problem of course with import is the registration in Irleland. A commercial has to weight at least 2750 kg to make it worth while (55.00 euro onlyto pay for registration). Any lighter and you pay 13.3 % of the value here in ireland. No idea what the weight of a Patrol is.

Why do you advise an automatic. I love automatic don't get me wrong. My pajero is an auto and I love it, but why do you advise that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the Patrol is under 2000kg. THe machines you're looking at are passenger models. if convert a passenger to commercial and register as commercial, the VRT is only €50.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

Looking to buy one meself, about the same budget 10-15K, good to hear good reviews, they are fairly big though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

My Brother is using one for work. He says it's great thing, 4.8 litre petrol with 350,000 km on the clock and driven to death in the desert in the middle east. It's used as the company hack, and everybody drives it flat out everywhere! It's also the tow vehicle of choice for getting other jeeps/SUVs out of soft sand.

The problems include starter konking out, meaning a 2 hour wait in 45 degree heat, the auto gearbox is starting to slow shift (probably from the shifting from forward to reverse when trying to get it out of soft sand) and the manifolds are starting to rust through. Some of the trim is starting to disintegrate from the heat (steering wheel, seats, etc but it's probably due to sweat and heat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 beingroundblock

I have driven all different types of 4 wheel drives and to give my own view i would have to buy the Nissan Patrol now in saying that they are expensive and yes they need looking after which is a given and it does not help when person or persons who buy them write on these blogs sayingthat things go wrong. I have seen lads off road with 4 x 4 and after treat them with no respect after paying between 15 - 25 grand. The dealership should inform the owner wait the owner shold go to classes and learn the basics not on driving but on the care of the vehicle.
    I have a friend who works on the farm and he has gone through two engines on his Patrol and he complains the are nothning but trouble well i watched him driving the patrol and every thing became clearer when he drove on the farm pulling trailers in the wrong way. never thinking always abusing the motor. Well thats my rant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

mjffey wrote: »
    Hi everybody,
    I'm hoovering between another Mitsubishi, a Toyota Landcruiser or the Nissan.

Now you want to be careful when hoovering between cars, you might suck up a lot of debris that would wreck your hoover. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This is an thread from 2008, please don't bump old threads.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement