Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Crime

Options
  • 25-01-2008 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

just to give you a heads up on the things going on in The Park over the last month or so. A couple of the trucks/vans in the area have been targetted to rob tools from them. These in turn may be then used for robbing cars or houses.

Brother in laws house has had the alarm set off in the middle of the night about 4 times in the last 3 weeks. Someone is banging on the window to set it off. Has checked if there is any other explanation but cannot come up with one. Mind you, the hand print on the window was a clue!

This is a known ploy to get people to leave their alarm switched off, used for both cars and houses.

Keep your eyes open and your tools locked up!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I had two Hilti drills stolen from a van in the area last year, they cost me about €2,300 :( Van inurance will not cover contents.

BTW since then I have found out that Hilti will engrave power tools for free with you name etc.

The problem is people are buying stolen tools, this encourages the theft of tools. If you suspect tools are being offered to you for sale are stolen, please report it. Trades people simply do not sell second hand power tools especially, Hilti and Makita type stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Jaysus, feel like a presenter on CrimeCall now!

Apparently a number cars were broken into in Charlesland last night. Nicked the usual suspects... Tools, Radios, Sat Navs, DVD players! :mad:

Remember to take all valuable items out at night people so your car is less of a target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭MrVostro

fishdog wrote: »
    I had two Hilti drills stolen from a van in the area last year, they cost me about €2,300 :( Van inurance will not cover contents.

BTW since then I have found out that Hilti will engrave power tools for free with you name etc.

The problem is people are buying stolen tools, this encourages the theft of tools. If you suspect tools are being offered to you for sale are stolen, please report it. Trades people simply do not sell second hand power tools especially, Hilti and Makita type stuff.

You should try the market just off the M1 at the Balbriggan exit. Cant remember what its called.
    The only things they sell there are second hand power tools and rip off DVDs. If the cops really wanted to recover all the stolen tools and rip-off dvds in Ireland all the have to do is walk in there. There are about 100 stalls and they sell nothing else at all. Its so obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Nearly There

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Apparently a number of cars were broken into in Charlesland last night.

Where did you hear this?

I'm just conscious of the fact that stating things like this without relevant back up could be considered sensationalist...let's be honest, Charlesland is a very safe place to live:). There is some degree of crime in all areas...unfortunately, scumbags target all areas :mad:.

Would agree with you about Charlesland being as safe as anywhere else. All places will have to deal with their fair share of crime. Information did come from a reliably source though.

Main reason for my posts here is to let people know so that they can act accordingly. Simple things like locking windows and doors, removing valuables from view etc...

Brother in law has experienced it first hand as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Jaysus, feel like a presenter on CrimeCall now!

Apparently a number of cars were broken into in Charlesland last night. Nicked the usual suspects... Tools, Radios, Sat Navs, DVD players! :mad:

Remember to take all valuable items out at night people so your car is less of a target.
    RosieJoe,

Thanks for the heads up and thanks for editing your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

I have just been onto Greystones Garda station and they said they have no reports of numerous cars been broken into and they think someone maybe be extremmmmly over the top in their information on Boards.

Please I think if you are going to write on Boards especially if it is important about the community that you have you facts from a veryyyy reliable source. Sometimes we can all stretch the truth and let our imaginations run away with us. People can too easily be scared and mislead on this forum by whats posted.;) If there have been break-ins , yes we should be made aware and this is a great place to let people know what is going on but facts only please, so we all dont start building 20 foot barriers in our drive-ways with security cameras and laser beams and guard dogs and 7ft giant special unit security personnel.... (ooops sorry got carried away there;)

Lock your cars - Lock your houses - Thats the best you can do in any neighbourhood (unless u live in Toronto - lowest crime rates in the world)

One car or twenty cars, it is irrelevant. You should act the same way regardless. Don’t leave valuables in the cars!

This is not a problem unique to Charlesland, this is modern Ireland. However it does seem that Charlesland has a high density of expensive cars (compared to most places) and two exits that can be negotiated at high speed if you were that way inclined, so be careful and vigilant.
    Nicked the usual suspects... Tools, Radios, Sat Navs, DVD players!

These sound similar to the delightful individuals that stole my drills. The good news is the more dangerous types break into houses looking for car keys so that they can take cars. At least this did not happen.

Much more sinister events took place in Delgany Wood recently as I am sure many of you have heard during an attempted car theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NarkyBoots

Much more sinister events took place in Delgany Wood recently as I am sure many of you have heard during an attempted car theft.

Care to expand?

Care to expand?

Friends who were victims of this event were left very traumatised so I think I should not. It would be safe to say that the Gardai took it very seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I don't understand why people leave items in their cars at night. It encourages bad behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

ian_m wrote: »
    I don't understand why people leave items in their cars at night. It encourages bad behavior.

I don't understand why people keep expensive items in their houses, in encourages burglary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 obe1kenobi

hi all
    new to the boards, live in charlesland nearly 3 years now and was broken into thursday night/early friday morning gone....came through the kitchen door/garden door at the back.... barrell popped the lock on the door and took my car keys,then the car, watch, wallet and wifes' handbag.....needless to say informed the garda.....car found a few hours afterwards in the kilcoole/back of eden gate area....keys weren't found so new locks on house new barrells on the car etc etc....there were no valuables in the car.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 BertieAhernia

Sorry to hear that...

Car keys are always the first to go in a breakin.

Don't expect anything big from the Guards....

I understand the feelings of violation when something like this happens,

have to say the garda could not of been nicer even the forensic guys were great......yeah the violation factor but also me the wife and my son all asleep upstairs didn't hear a thing.....my wife is the lightest sleeper and is a bit of a night owl she didn't hear a thing and even went to bed early that night which is unheard of for her.....apparently we were targeted especially for my car.....they just took the rest on impluse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Sorry to hear this... scumbags... love to get my hands on them..:mad:
    Can i ask what type of car was targeted...??

Merc S500 and yes sc**bags

Think that car was taken for order rather than a spin round the block etc..

least you got it back... hope all is well and the wife and kids o.k. from this...

yeah got it back with sheds loads of repairs but it could of been worse, wife is a bit freaked all in all and the little fella doesn't know anyone was actually in the house he just thinks someone stole it from outside...thought it best not to let him know someone broke in........car was found back of eden gate near building site on the kilcoole side some poor sods' car was taken in eden gate same night he wasn't as lucky as us he didn't get his car back

I'd be going nuts.. not only did someone break in whilst you were there but they took the car...
    Understandingly, the wife and family are more important than any car...

BTW.. any car theives reading this, If I catch you, you'll be living the last of your days locked in my shed..

I'm forever checking my cars outside, day, noon and night.. but I know the sc*mbags only need a couple of minutes...

Wondering how do they "pop" a lock, just incase i can prevent it..

• Advertisement

[snip]wore gloves incidently.....and closed over the door when they left.....not out the front door but back out the garden/kitchen door over next doors fence and since we are next door to a 3 bed hopped over the apex/low roof of next doors front door onto the street

[mod] Sorry poster, no need to detail the process of breaking into a house! [/mod]

Unreal.. Well let it be a warning to all...
    Its just sad that this type of thing goes on...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Wondering how do they "pop" a lock, just incase i can prevent it..

For obvious reasons, it's best if a "how to" guide isn't published here!

Apologies..
    Was looking to see if a lock smith would be able to over come this for other home owners..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

obe1kenobi wrote: »
    [snip]wore gloves incidently.....and closed over the door when they left.....not out the front door but back out the garden/kitchen door over next doors fence and since we are next door to a 3 bed hopped over the apex/low roof of next doors front door onto the street

yikes - I would've thought the inaccessibility of our back gardens and back doors would deter most burglars - though as suggested above if they really wanted your car they might have been more determined.

did you have your alarm on?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

Does anyone know what additional locks are available for the front and back door for additional protection?

Cheers

Posh

Do you not have a 3 point locking system on your doors already?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BonnieD

What is a 3 point locking system? Is this the current type, additional type or alternative type to the existing lock types in Charlesland?

If you open the door and look at where the latches are there is usually 3 to 5 pieces of metal sticking out from the door. If you lift the door handle up, as if to lock it, the metal will slide up.

Check here for an example: http://www.leoakline.com/images/slidingpatio3.jpg

This is to lock the door in differnet places.

Most modern houses should have this type of door.

• Advertisement

[mod] Sorry poster, no need to detail the process of breaking into a house! [/mod]

All of the thieves know how to enter a house in this way, it is quite simple. The tecnique used as described earlier is very common, I dont think the information posted will assist anyone planning on breaking in. I used to install alarm systems and most people want alarms after they are broken into. This is why I have seen so many homes after a break in (honest!). I think that it is good to have a description of the method of entry because then homeowners can see what is vunerable.

There is a way to make it harder for people to break in this way. I do not want to get in trouble with the mods so I can not describe it in detail, however lets just say that a company called "Garrison" make a replacement part that is compatible with your doors.

This replacement part is easy to fit, you can do it yourself and buy the parts you need in many locksmiths. I bought them for my house in "Brown Brothers" in 56, Patrick street, Dun Laoghaire. If you talk to them they will explain why this other system is more secure.
    Does anyone know what additional locks are available for the front and back door for additional protection?
    You can put an additional "Yale type" top lock on your front door. For some doors the frame is not flush with the door on the inside when you close it. There is an adapter available for this "Munster Joinery" type door. You can also get this form most locksmiths. It is possible for this to use the same key as your bottom lock.

Advertisement